Who invented that stupid parade wave and why?

No, no, it’s, “Elbow elbow, wrist wrist, elbow elbow, wrist wrist, wipe a tear, blow a kiss.”

I beg to differ. The wave I described is artificial. If one wants to recognize and greet people, one should look them in the eye and wave directly toward them. That’s how to make a connection.

The other thoughts upthread about being less tiring are unconvincing. These queens are just sitting there, barely moving their wrists. Try telling how tiring that is to the guy beating the bass drum. He carrying that thing from his shoulders and WALKING the length of the parade. And even if it is a bit less fatiguing, it still looks … stupid.

I would think it was pretty obvious. A “real” wave is specific, aimed at a particular person. The royal way is general; aimed at the whole crowd. Thus it’s largely pointed upward, rather than forward, so as not to single out any particular degree on the circle.

below the crown, above the pearls.

1. Just to be clear, H.L. Mencken is just the first name that came to mind (besides, well, you know).

2. Hot damn, I guess you like yourself some marching music. I didn’t even know there existed that many books on Sousa.

While on the Tonight Show, Jimmy Stewart spoke of an upcoming parade. He told Johnny Carson there were two styles of waves, and he hadn’t decided between ‘the windshield wiper’ or the ‘doorknob turner.’

That is how you have been taught to make a connection. All of this body language is something constructed by the culture you’re a part of. None of it is genetically hard-coded. All of it is arbitrary and artificial. The only distinction is between “made-up gesture I’m familiar with” and “made-up gesture that differs from what I’m familiar with.”