Who uses a typewriter anymore?

I had a young girl sit down to mine, begin typing and when she was done with what she had on the paper she said, “How do you ‘X’ this out?”

I still have a decent little used portable I bought used 12 years ago. I used it to fill out forms and type labels. I stopped using it as a typewriter about 9 years ago but it has the perfect shape to make a good footrest under my computer desk. :smiley:
At work I have had to roll out the old IBM Selectric[sup]TM[/sup] about once a year on average. This is to accommodate some silly stone age vendor that cannot handle Email or Web based forms.

Jim

Heh. I got an order in the mail last month that was typed out on really old letterhead (remember 1 or 2 digit zip codes?), that was originally sent to the old address (the store moved around five years ago), returned to the sender; placed in another envelope; mailed out to the new address; with model numbers that had to be cross-reference to new models; and…

marked “RUSH!” :confused:

I wanted to call the customer to give him his order confirmation, but apparently he dosen’t have a phone (no phone listed on the account, nor one printed on the ancient letterhead), let alone a computer! :eek:

I use one in my volunteer position over at a local hospital. I have to make up patient charts and it involves filling in the doctor’s name and the name of the procedure and the type of sedation that will be used. Since I’m doing this on a form, I can’t do that by computer. So I use a typewriter. The names of the procedures are coded in, as are the doctor’s phone numbers and the types of anesthesia. So I just hit the code button then the number. Say I’m making a chart for a colonoscopy. I just hit Code, then 99, and then it types it for me.

Hey, I remember being amazed as a kid at the magical correction tape that seemed to somehow lifted the actual typed letter off the page the electric typewriter in the school secretary’s office had.

I did personally learn to type on an ancient manual typewriter, but that was due to my family’s never-get-rid-of-ANYTHING philosophy. I can still almost smell those wonderful cloth ribbons. In school I had a keyboarding class on an IBM. (But as I just mentioned, the secretary had a mysteriously large electric.)

About ten years or so ago, my mother purchased this giant heavy… THING that looked like a malformed beige giant electric typewriter with a horrid green-grey 10-line LCD screen grafted on and a slot for a floppy in the back. You could switch it back and forth between “typewriter” and (an extremely primative) “word processor” modes. It was a nice enough idea, but the thing weighed easily 50 lbs (yet had been promoted as portable, and had a dinky little handle on the front) and used cheap plastic daisy-wheels that you could change for different styles of type. It was also even louder than the manual one I learned on.

I have a '20s Royal portable that I use for taking quick notes and filling out printed forms. Two, actually: one’s serif, one’s sans-serif, but it sticks a bit. Eventually, I want to type out index cards for my books and make an old fashioned card catalogue. I’ve never actually seen one, but I’ve got an old manual from the '30s describing how to set one up.

As for schools, no, I can’t imagine anywhere still teaching on a typewriter, if for no better reason than the cost would be enormously prohibitive. Computers are cheap, decent typewriters and finding somebody who can service them are not. Not to mention learning how to type on a typewriter would be as much a detriment as anything else, what with several keys in different places and requiring a much more forceful and slower paced touch.

We started typing lessons back in the 2nd grade on Apple IIGSes, then Macs in later elementary school, then ancient PS/1s in middle school before they got new computers (Dells, I think–Pentium processors). Typing was an elective in high school, but those were, needless to say, computers as well.

Ransom notes really have that old-time zing when you craft them with care on a typewriter.