Why can't I plug my microwave into the same outlet as my refridgerator?

My “800w” 220-240v micro here in the UK says it’s max power use is 3100w on the back panel (I guess when all it’s convection/grilling elements are on while micro-ing) - my kettle is 3000w, toaster 1800w, espresso machine a mere 1500W (all within a standard UK 13 amp socket and so two can be plugged into the usual double outlet in the 32A ring-main - hurrah for 240 volt mains! stoves still get a dedicated feed, I’m guessing 20A)

Reason 1. A 15 amp. circuit won’t support both units.
Reason 2. Voiding of warrantee.

Why not 2-#12 w/Ground instead of 4 #12’s. :rolleyes: That is assuming you meant 4-#12’s.

You guys are freaking me out.

There is no city, state or federal code that would allow a 110v fridge to run on the same circuit as a 220v oven. None, nowhere. Granted you could wire a 110v outlet on a 220v curcuit, just not legally. No electrician would ever do so.

A gas range is typically plugged into a 110v outlet for the sparker, dial lights and the little bulb in the oven. No big deal

The only exeption I have ever seen is on A/C circuits. There is often a pigtailed hot in a box wired for 110v. These however, are dedicated circuits with their own breakers.

It has also been a LONG time since I’ve seen a “range plug”. (big ol honkin’ outlet similar to a dryer) Though I admit Ive seen 50 amp 220v outlets with stoves plugged into them.

Local codes around here have required that Ranges, water heaters etc… be on seperate circuits and breakers and all connections be made in boxes (hard wire) since the '60’s

Here’s an east way to test if the one outlet in your kitchen is on the same run as the fridge. (likely)

Open the door of the fridge and flip breakers until the light inside goes out. Plug something in to your kitchen outlet. If it works hey, different circuit. It’s probably wired into the base run. Just dont run the vacuum at the same time.

Jeez,
Don’t you watch Green Acres?, the Fridge HAS to be at least a 12 and the Nuker is probably an 8, even Mrs. Douglas would know better.

Unclviny

While it is true that the outlet probably wasn’t designed for two appliances to run at the same time. The refrigerator doesn’t run all of the time anyway. I’m not saying that it is okay to plug them both in but that’s a fact. They wouldn’t be ON at the same time except for coincidence.
You could however get a plug in surger that has a circuit breaker that kicks off when they do both come on. I’ve got one on my porch because I like to run a fan and/or stereo etc. also I use it to run Xmas lights off of. I wanted to have several outlets and this “box” plugs into the two outlets and has places for six. The breaker will kick if I’m pulling too many amps and all I have to do is reset it after I unplug or turn something off. There pretty cheap and you can get them at most hardware stores.
disclaimer: read the instructions before trying this.

Also…you may run the microwave on a extension cord but I wouldn’t try it with the frig. good luck and be careful :slight_smile:

Hell, I’ve made extension cords for welders and power tools that were two hundred feet long. Granted I used some heavy romex and wired it into a double 60amp breaker with a heavy duty plug on the end but it can be done safely and legally.
In order to get the 110 off the 220 you just take the main ground and one of the hots and you’ve got 110. It won’t work the other way since 220 requires three cycles and 110 is only two. Adding them together won’t work and can be dangerous.
I am NOT advising anyone to try it. I’m just saying is all.

BTW I’ve never seen a 220V microwave either. Reckon how fast that sucker would melt your food. :smiley: