Why don't we build power plants next to coal mines?

Amazing. Thanks
The idea that a large American company like a railroad would try to act like a six-year kid holding his breath is just so sad. I am well aware of how prices are set (by what the market will bear not what the cost of production is), but to try to use blackmail to maintain a monopoly is, well sad. Glad they got stopped and hope they learned a lesson.

I understand that the power transmission system in the US is a hodge-podge of locally owned systems, no one of which has much interest in upgrading. I have read suggestions that the US would be better off starting over with a unified grid. I am not sure there are more losses in sending power 1000 miles over a modern 730KV DC system than to send the coal 1000 miles. This becomes even more urgent when the possibility of solar power from the desert or wind farms (say, in the Senate) would require long distance transmission.

Here in Quebec the power company owns all the generation and transmission installation and most of the power is generated 1000 miles from where it is used and mostly now sent at 730KV and nowadays, often DC, which doesn’t have radiative losses. It used to be that high power rectification and inversion were expensive, but with new solid-state converters, this is no longer so.

Translation of “T&D” for laypersons?

“Transmission and distribution”, I believe.

Exactly, thank you.

DC current is now as good or better than AC for long distances?

I din no dat… How do day do dat? Require a two wire system and no earth ground? Splain me please…

The advantage of high voltage is that you can crank down the current very low for any given amount of power delivered, and therefore minimize resistive losses.

The advantage of AC is that it’s easy to build transformers to change the voltage and current, so you can crank up the voltage (and down the current) for long-distance transmission, and then step it back down for the folks using it (who don’t have the safety equipment to handle hundreds thousands of volts in their homes). The disadvantage of AC is that you get an extra source of loss in transmission, radiative losses (effectively the wires act like a huge low-frequency radio antenna).

Nowadays, though, they’ve developed devices which do the same job as a transformer, but work on DC. So you can still take advantage of ultra-high-voltages for long-distance transmission, but without the radiative losses.

The presence of an earth ground is irrelevant. All electrical systems that I know of use at least two current carrying wires, and would function just fine (albeit perhaps not as safely) without a ground.

Another advantage of HVDC is that it’s not synchronized, so it is resistant to failures where one part of the grid goes out of synch with another part.

The two-wire systems are on either side of ground (+/-), not at ground. There are earth-grounded systems but I do not know how common they are.
See also this: http://www.energy.siemens.com/cms/us/US_Products/Portfolio/HVSystemsupto800kV/HighVoltageDCTransmissionSystems/Pages/BasicsofHVDCTransmissions.aspx

There are also tripolar systems, but I can’t explain those very well.

This is true. Even aside from failures, it’s not straightforward to define phase in a power grid of size comparable to 1/60 of a lightsecond (a few thousand miles), so if your grid is big enough, then you’ve always got something resembling being “out of synch”, even when everything’s running perfectly.

I just stopped here to offer any help that can. I’ve worked in transmission planning and resource planning as well as power marketing. Una handled the majority of the questions. I just have a few points to add.

Other advantages of power plant location include local voltage support and support for transmission outage contingencies. During peak load conditions some power plants are “must run” not for their production but simply to hold up the voltage of the transmission grid in that part of the system. I know of plants in western Kansas that are dispatched under that rule. Granted plants aren’t built just for voltage support but that definitely keeps some of the older ones on the grid.

Una made a comment about the possibility of a problem crossing the grid boundary into Texas. The “problem” shows up more as an economic issue in that the congestion on the DC ties can get quite expensive during peak periods. A market group I was associated with made very good money by owning transmission rights on one tie and using that as an arbitrage position between two market areas.

One thing that seems to be less empathized in this discussion is that even though it may be more economical (in theory) to produce power at the mine and then transmit it out, that idea gets clobbered by the cost of new transmission construction to supplement or replace the existing systems which are already congested. Throw on top of that some NIMBY issues occurring with transmission right-of-way and and “why’s that stinky old power plant messing up my air and sending the power out of my state” and well, a good idea gets crushed.

I’ve never seen this happen for coal power plants. While some politicians may be receptive to power plants in their area most seem to be fighting to keep coal plants out of their states. One example is the Holcomb power plant proposed in Kansas. The story linked here displays the typical squabbling that goes on within a state’s government.

I would think that one factor (possibly small) about locating the plant within your own state is that other state’s won’t allow it on their turf.

The ability to site a plant is a big factor in where they are located. These days, there are lots of people and groups that fight tooth and nail to prevent siting near where they live, where it might cause pollution - that is, pretty much anywhere. But there are quite a few plants located in the Rocky Mountains that send a significant amount of their power to California, given the impossibility of siting a coal-fired plant in that state. Some of those plants are sited because of proximity to coal, others because of proximity to water, and still others (particularly in Navajo Indian country) because the governmental authority was indeed looking for jobs. Most of that happened in the late 60s and early 70s, and has quieted down considerably since then.

Thanks, Una Persson, for the very nice discussion of the coal vs. electricity transport issue. Care to add your thoughts about adding a CO2 pipeline network to the coal transport/electricity transmission system? Nothing like a bit more complexity to make things really interesting.

Interesting… Montana politicians, from what I’ve seen, seem to love the idea of power plants in our state, mostly since any electricity that flows out of the state is dollars flowing in.

Cool! I thought that might be what you did but wasn’t sure. Thanks for the answer.

I’m a consultant on two projects looking at CO2 pipelines for carbon dioxide sequestration. What can I say…well, I love it, because the economics are so poor it makes my job easy. When you have a significant amount of CO2 to store, and most power plants are not located next to a tertiary oil recovery site…it’s just so expensive to transport it. And the logistics/siting problems, NIMBY stuff…it’s getting insane. Most folks don’t seem to object to a CO2 pipe, until the Sierra Club sends flyers to the town reminding them that CO2 is heavier than air, and in the event of a major pipeline break the gas will suffocate everyone nearby like Lake Freaking Nyos. Plus, as I mentioned in another thread, there is a bit of history with CO2 sequestration that’s starting to show some unexpected results, such as the reservoir caps being corroded by carbonic acid, and much, much more seepage and leakage from the reservoir than thought (including one case where part of the deep aquifer water was being carbonated like seltzer…not good.) For all people like to point to the North Sea and Canadian projects that have been storing CO2 pretty much successfully, those are small-scale operations compared to what we’d need to make a serious dent in our net GHG emissions.

(Never mind the fact that using CO2 for tertiary oil recovery means that you then extract more oil, which you burn…to produce more CO2).

Thanks again, Una Persson. Are the results you discussed about corrosion and other problems published anywhere? I’ve got some interest in that very topic, and haven’t seen a lot of info on those sorts of issues.

You know, I honestly don’t know. I was out west talking to some R&D guys (pro-CO2 storage guys) a few weeks ago who were saying they were very concerned about it, to the point where they were looking into some sort of zirconium ceramic plug instead of concrete. But I confess I’ve never researched it personally.