Why should I pay $14.95 to become a member?

I for one don’t care if you join or not, and I think it’s insulting to post a thread basically asking everybody to kowtow to you so you don’t leave.

If you’ve actually read every thread here, had 30 days, and still can’t make up your mind, I’d suggest passing.

What’s up with all the “I don’t care if you join or not” posts? It isn’t that ridiculous of a question to ask why you should have to pay for a message board! Calling it insulting is absurd. 30 days is proper, but isn’t always enough for a person who doesn’t spend a lot of time on the internet. I think the OP was simply asking for the perks and experiences of users.

We don’t have any independently wealthy people here. You could be the first.

Why? Because I fucking said so. Pay up or I’ll shoot this puppy.

Oooo, puppies!

Pictures, dangit! If you’re going to talk about puppies, there must be pictures!

nuh uh. No way are you getting me to sway you one way or another. If I convince you to cough up the dough and then you get tired of the trainwrecks in the Pit or the Name 100 characters threads in CS, then I’ll get the blame. Then you’ll probably Pit me for making you spend the money, maybe even take me to small claims court to get me to pay you back…

This could only end badly.

:smiley:

I think a lot of people have different reasons for thinking this place is worth the $15.00 a year. To me, it’s an excellent opportunity to interact with a bunch of people I think are cool. Plus, I’ve had more than a couple of factual questions answered here, and made some new friends. Since we’re not destitute, I could certainly think of many worse ways to spend that kind of money!

Also, some other people around here may not care whether or not you join, but I do. It’s not you personally. I don’t think I’ve seen any of your posts yet. But I do think it’s good for the board to bring in fresh faces, so to speak. Therefore, I want new people to join.

Having said all that, like most anything else that’s for sale, I can’t convince you. You have to convince yourself.

And just so no one thinks I’m a total ogre - #4.

What the hell, one more.

That enough?

[Side note that you will only find on a message board like this one]The way they got the dog to flinch/glance in shot #2 was by pulling the trigger on an empty chamber. [/side note]

Did you read Galaxyhorse’s second post?

“So, members, what do you like about SDMB? What are the advantages of becoming a member?” would have been fine. Prospective members have asked that in the past, and gotten lots of positive responses from those of us who love the SDMB.

Galaxyhorse wants to know why (s)he should bother subscribing. My answer is, with that attitude, don’t. If you are soooooo tragically unimpressed with what you’ve found here, don’t expect us to grovel and beg you to stay. shrug There’s plenty more internet out there.

Here’s perhaps the top thread on top threads.

Here’s a collection of great one-liners and other turns of phrase.

Find links to great rants here.

By the way, my subscription is up for renewal, but I won’t be ponying up an additional $14.95. That’s because, as a Charter Member, I get to re-up at the low,low rate of $7.48!

Sampiro Family threads alone ought to be worth $15 to anyone.

[Bolding, and parentheticals in this instance, mine.]

The question, rather, is why shouldn’t you? Is there something you’re not telling us? What’s wrong??

Here are my reasons:

1. It’s entertaining and there are some very good writers here whose short stories/personal experiences are shared in a way that makes me frequently laugh out loud.

2. I learn new things. I find this is a place to get information on a variety of topics that’s fairly accurate.

3. It makes me think about things by considering points of view that I might not have otherwise considered. I think that makes me a more tolerant, well-rounded individual.

4. It is a place to find answers gather opinions and seek or offer solace. I’m not a prolific poster but when I have posted questions or sought opinions I’ve gotten good information that I found useful.

5. It’s better Than most of the other message boards I’ve been around. Better in that it’s better moderated and the quality/intellect of the members is better than other places I’ve tried.

Heck, try it for a year. It’s only $15. If you don’t think you got your money’s worth don’t re-subscribe. Like you said, it’s not that much money.

I’m not sure I want you to join. Your posts demonstrate that you are rude, obnoxious, arrogant, ostentatious…

On second thought, you’ll fit right in.

You’re going to be a pit poster aren’t you.

In Soviet Union puppy shoots you!

Yes please kow-tow to me so I will not leave. Are you serious? Should I go to the pit? This is the kind of comment which makes me not want to join.
And yes I know that you could not care less if I join or not.
I thought this would be an interesting thread. That is all.

Because the “member fee” is actually an elaborate ponzi scheme that we senior Dopers have created in order to enrich ourselves.

Should I take this one to the pit also? I am so sorry I wrote “Why should I bother?” I should have written “Please could you tell me what are the advantages of becoming a member?”
Are you serious with this stuff Podkayne? I have an attitude problem. Do not Pit me or I will cry.
It is people like you that make me wonder why I should join. Not $14.95