Why should I pay $14.95 to become a member?

Well, I don’t really see the point in threatening to take every other post to the pit either. There were some really thought out answers in here, and a few members did a bit of research for you on spot-worthy threads. Focusing on thank you’s toward those guys probably would have been more productive in raising the morale of the board.

I really don’t think you had any malicious intent or attitude in your wording, and that’s why I mentioned something about the few smug posts directed at you. You just seem like a straight-forward kinda guy, who wants direct, quick answers about the product, and I admire that quality. I hope you’ll stick around Galaxyhorse, it really is the nicest net community out there with the greatest structure. The 14.95 is worth it. Cheers.

What we have here is a very diverse community. As such, you’re going to find a few people you almost never agree with, a few people you’ll agree with almost all the time, and a whole bunch of people you’ll agree with sometimes. If you want a community with a high percentage of people who agree with you on a bunch of things, well, that’s what Yahoo groups is for, imho. If you want a wide range of views on a wide range of subjects from a largely intelligent group of folks, then the SDMB has that to offer. It’s all a matter of what you’re looking for.

I thank those here that attempted to give me a straight answer especially messypaint.
I am a person who wants to get a straight answer to a straight question. That is what I thought Straight Dope is all about. What I do not like is people trying to find the “attitude” in my posts. I just want an answer or opinions. It seems there are a few people that just want to analyse the wording of your post so they can criticise your “attitude”. You do not know me. Do not assume you know me from a few sentences that I have written.
By the way it is impossible to insult me.So do not bother trying.

That sounds like a challenge :slight_smile:

Uh, if you want to. I don’t remember the last time I got pitted. (Have I gotten pitted? I had my ass handed to me in IMHO once, as I recall—and I definitely had it coming—but I don’t know that anyone ever started a pit thread about me.)

That would have been nicer, and make it much clearer what you wanted out of this thread. You may have had a smile on your face and been thinking “Why should I bother?” in a light-hearted joking tone as you typed it, but none of that comes across in the text you posted.

Reading just your posts in this thread, the impression that I get was that you were saying you haven’t seen anything here that you really liked, and you wanted us to jump through hoops to prove to you that it would be worth your while to stay. If that’s not the impression you wanted to give, you might think more carefully about the tone of your writing or, if you must, use smilies more. Some people (like the very kind and helpful Messy Paint) will give you the benefit of the doubt, but some people are just going to take your posts at face value.

Yes. What makes you think I’m not?

Another excellent example. Are you making a statement? (If so, please elaborate. What is your attitude problem, and what do you expect us to do about it?) Asking a question? (If so, a question mark is customary.) Being sarcastic? (You might used one of the traditional markers of saracasm, such as “Yeah, I have an attitude problem,” or “Uh huh, I really have an attitude problem.” Or, may I draw your attention to the right of the posting page, where you will find an array of smilies to help you express your feelings, including the rolleyes smilie.) Remember, we can’t hear the voice in your head while you’re typing.

Now, I never said you have an attitude problem. We all have different attitudes about different things in our lives, and this not necessarily a bad thing. I have a positive attitude toward snuggly puppies, and a negative attitude toward green apple Jolly Ranchers. Neither of those is a bad thing, per se. It seemed to me that you have a negative attitude about this board. This is not a problem in my mind. Some people like the SDMB, and some do not. Different strokes, for different folks. For that reason, I don’t see any reason why we should bend over backwards to change your attitude.

You haven’t done anything that’s even registering above background noise on the Pitworthiness Detector.

Well, people aren’t going to treat you any differently because you have “Member” instead of “Guest” under your name. If you think people here are too . . . um . . . whatever you think I am, then this isn’t the place for you.

Podkayne. Why are you inclined to write so much. If you cannot understand me read another thread.
I refuse to use smilies. I have never read a book that has to use them. Smilies do not help me express my feelings.
I am happy with my posts.

Greenback. I will tell you why it is impossible to insult me. I accept everything about myself that is true. I am overweight. I am a slow typist. I do not understand a lot of Kant’s Critique of Pure reason (someone told me it had to read in the original German).
Because I accept what is true about myself I cannot be insulted by saying I am fat,right-handed, a New Zealander etc.
I cannot be insulted by people saying “You are stupid”, “You are ugly”, “You are left-handed”. These comments cannot insult me because they are not true.
Therefore it is impossible to insult me.

I’m startin to think DNFTT.

Well, in GQ perhaps. But even in there, a certain amount of levity is to be expected. There just isn’t a forum here that’s quite as sterile as you describe.

Wow. That was entirely uncalled for. And totally inappropriate to this forum.

I attempted to post this in the Pit, but the thread got closed. However, I think I was tame enough for MPSIMS… I’ll try to edit anything questionable out:

[humourous attempt at insult]

Seriously, in the MPSIMS thread, you said you wanted “answers or opinions”. You got it. You think we should all lie to you? Not everyone is going to have a glowing opinion of every member. We argue here. We debate. We call each other [creative Pit-style insult]. This is a gigantic and diverse message board, where opposing opinions are often welcome. Seriously, if you think what’s going on in MPSIMS is rude, I’m not sure how much you’re going to like this place.

Look at it this way: if you’re (or someone is attempting to cause you to be) insulted, it could be an opportunity for you to look at yourself and see why someone said those things to you. Maybe you are not coming across the way you thought you were, maybe these people are actually trying to be helpful and point you in the right direction. And sometimes, maybe, they’re just gigantic [Pit-worthy word deleted] big meanies. But don’t be so quick to think that when someone disagrees with you or misinterprets what you are saying that it is completely unfounded. A little humility can look good on you.

We all get smacked around, often much worse than anything you got in MPSIMS. You know the saying, if you can’t take the heat…

That said, I do hope you *can * take the heat, and find your place here. New opinions are great to hear. But don’t expect everyone to be just like you. That’s not how the world works, and quite frankly, I’m glad for it.

You are right-handed, you dirty right-hander.

Seriously, what do you want here? To find out what the board is like, just lurk and read for a while, maybe post a comment in a thread that you genuinely find interesting. If, after thirty days, you find it interesting, pay up. If not, move on. No harm done.

Instead, you’ve stood up and yelled “Hey everybody, look at me! Me me me me me! Now that I have your attention, why should I associate with you? Please, keep it short, my time is valuable.” But really, there’s no way for us to answer that. You’ve got to figure it out on your own.

From locked thread:

That’s great to hear Galaxyhorse. I was just making a comment in passing because of the absurdity of the statement. I mean, why say it if you don’t want people to try.

shrug

I think it’s great that you accept who you are. In fact, it’s great that you don’t try and rise above your station. After all, you may get put back in your place. I hate people like you because you offer nothing to society. You exist and leach off of others.

Part of living is to risk being insulted. Get out and take a stand and reap the consequences. How else can you grow as a person?

Don’t mind me. You just go back to existing.

GalaxyHorse, you’re just an attention whore. If you can’t get accepted by good prose you’ll try to scratch up flames. You just think that people’s reactions are really something in your control. As your handle implies, you’re nebulous. As your existence fades away I am reminded of when I joined…

I entered the Star Trek threads and posted lists of nitpicks and commentary. However they were received I felt happy to be out there and be myself. I don’t know how it started but I even challenged Cervaise to who could make the longest posts. Little did I know of his acumen in reviews until it was pointed out. I could have backed away, but stuck with the gauntlet I’d thrown down. I then posted away oblivious to the good-natured duel and just felt glad about expressing my ideas and letting the chips fall as they may.

In all seriousness - this may not be the board for you. If you’ve read a sufficient sample of the stuff around here you’ll realize that this is a pretty typical thread. Two or three helpful responses, two or three challanging responses, a page and a half of smart assed remarks. From what you’ve said so far, that really doesn’t seem to be your cup of tea.

fercryinoutloud don’t say stuff like that :smack: If you haven’t noticed, we have a higher than average smartass percentage around here (me being one of them). You might as well have just said “I challenge you to find a way to send me running from the room crying. I double dog dare ya”. (besides that, these people have the collective memory of a herd of elephants - if you do stick around, years from now someone will say something to get your panties in a bunch and this quote will just be thrown up in your face).

Anyway, I’m not in any way saying “don’t join”, these are a great bunch of people. But if this thread is already rubbing you the wrong way, you may want to give it a good think before you pay the membership.

You misunderstood what I was saying, because you thought I was accusing you have having an attitude problem. When I’m misunderstood, I don’t blame the reader; I just try to make myself clearer. I was also offering some constructive advice, in case you do decide to hang around. (And I’m not trying to drive you off. Please do stay, if you like it here.)

If you don’t like my posts, don’t read them, and don’t respond to them. If you start a thread, people will post in it, whether or not you like them, or what they have to say. Telling people to stop posting in your thread is impolite. And, as you can see, ineffective. :slight_smile: <— See, I use a smilie because I smiled as I typed it, but you can’t see that, and if I don’t use a smilie, you don’t know that it was not just a truthful statement, but a little joke to amuse the reader.

When you write a book, you reread your work carefully, several times, and it is also read by copyreaders and editors. And even then, only the best writing gets published. The great thing about the internet, and the horrible thing about the interent, is that you think it, you type it, you hit a button, and bing, it’s up there for everyone to read. Given that, many people appreciate having a tool like smilies to help us communicate quickly and clearly. (If you absolutely refuse to use smilies, then imagine that I’m a magical, wise, helpful fairie editor who sits on your shoulder, and every time you compose a post, I say, “That post sounds like it was written by an abrasive, overly defensive ninny with a huge sense of entitlement, and I know that’s not what you’re trying to convey! Rewrite it in a friendlier tone!”)

But, you don’t seem very happy with how some people are reacting to them. Do you just want your own posts up there on the internet for you to admire, or do you actually want to communicate what you’re thinking and feeling? At least one poster is telling you that, if you are being honest about what you meant by your posts, you are not expressing your feelings well. You don’t have to use smilies, but IMHO you should be more explicit about communicating your tone.

All this truck about insulting you could mean, “Ha, ha, c’mon, let’s get to know each other by joking around!” or “I truly feel that you are trying to insult me in this thread, and I want you to know that see what’s going on, and I resent it,” or, “I think you’re a bunch of jerks, so lets have you show your true colors,” or “My self-esteem is as fragile as an eggshell. Kick it in, so we can prove to everyone once and for all I’m worthless,” or, “I’m desperate for any kind of attention, positive or negative,” or something else entirely. Seriously. I cannot tell from the tone of your writing what you’re hoping to accomplish. Throw us a bone, will ya?

If you need to be convinced to subscribe to this message board . . . this prob’ly isn’t the board for you.

It seems pretty easy to you worked up.

:smack:

pointing and laughing at garygnu

No. This should do it.

Ah, you would want to post in “General Questions” instead of self-stimming here in MPSIMS.