Yahoo Fantasy Baseball signups open!

Just got an email from Munch, who is in (and who explained just how bad an idea outs is.)

Any volunteers to be commish yet?

I’m in again. After messing up on the draft day and getting royally screwed over by the auto-draft, I am ready to inflict some serious damage this year.

I’ve got a league set up, same settings as last year (for now), 18 teams max. Draft time slot is Wednesday, March 22, 10PM Eastern.
If someone else really wants to commish, I can get rid of this, but I’m willing to do it.

I don’t think I’ll release the league info till we’ve got more of a consensus on settings and we’re a little closer to draft time - that’s how Omni did it last year.

count me in. i’m also in the basketball league we’ve got going on.

we didn’t have many people in basketball, and that makes for very little trading.

how many people are we up to so far?

Eight replies in this thread by my count, plus we’ve heard from two former members who have played in the past (Munch and Winnowill). And this is all in the first two days…

Couple of regulars we haven’t heard from yet - I’ll try to dig up some email addresses for rackensack, Omniscient, spooje, Weirddave and Petey if we don’t hear from them soon.

Or maybe they’ll vanity search.

I’m in!

attention everyone, i’ll be the commish if need be
i’ll create the league…but i’ve gotta know if i have to create two.
so, let’s make a list of who’s in so we can split up into two leagues if that’s what we think we need…and yes, i’ll commish both of them.

why me? well, i know what i’m doing dammit…i encourage free trade…and i encourage discussions and discussion of trade as well.
what would be the categories? we’d go with the original 5x5 format
c, 1b, 2b, 3b, ss (and depending on the size of the league perhaps one or two infielder slots) 3 outfield slots and at least one, but up to three utility spots (if it ends up being a small league, which this doesn’t look like it’ll be).
it’s normal pitching, but if need be, add up to two to the starting pitching and three to the non-specific pitching slots. 2 DL and 5 to about 7 or 8 bench spots.
if there are two categories i’m willing to debate, i’m down with “hits” and “innings pitched”.

i also dislike negative categories, if we can help it at all.
give me the word(s) and i’ll create the league(s)
trevor

I think our basic league setup is fine the way it is, with the possible exception of batter’s Ks and TB, but I’m comfortable with keeping them if that’s the group’s decision.

It’s a little early to be talking about starting the league anyway, because we haven’t even heard from all the regulars yet, so we don’t know when the best draft slot will be.

well, i’m just dispensing with preliminaries and what not.
if there’s already a heirarchy of people that runs these leagues, then by all means, i’ll play by the rules they set up. i’m just saying that if i run a league, that’s how i’d set it up.

There’s not exactly a hierarchy - Omniscient ran it last year, not sure who it was the year before, rackensack did it once too.

And certainly while I think we’re open to discussion, you should be aware that several of us have been in these leagues before. If you read through last year’s thread, which I linked to in the OP, you can get an idea of the format we used last year, which was somewhat close to the years before that, although there have been differences each year (I think three years ago we experimented with fielding percentage).
Please don’t think I’m saying we don’t want new people in these leagues - I’m sure we won’t get back everyone from last year, nor is there any real strong effort to do so. We definitely want fresh meat, er, I mean new blood. :slight_smile:

Speaking for myself, I really do not want to do traditional 5x5 - I’m in other leagues that do that, and can always join public Yahoo leagues for that. At the least, dump batting average and put in slugging and OBP. Also we’ve generally done LF, CF, RF (plus one OF) as opposed to all generic OF slots. And we love really deep leagues - there’s nothing quite like rounds 23 and 24 of an 18 team draft. I think most of the “regulars” will agree with me (and I’m sure if they don’t they’ll speak up).

As I mentioned in post 23, I’ve got a league set up with what I hope is a decent time slot. I am perfectly willing to commish if need be - unless Omni wants to do it again, of course. If the majority prefers someone besides me be the commish, that’s fine too. While I’m not the most prolific of posters here, I think I’m fairly well known for being active in these leagues in the past.

I’ll do it if no one else steps up, but by no means do I feel an entitlement to Commish again. Wilson, if you want to take charge and have the extra time to do so, I’m all for it.

Omni, I thought you did an exceptional job at the helm last year. I was especially impressed with how fairly you handled the Pujols-for-Damon trade, even if I didn’t express it at the time (hey, wouldn’t you be gung-ho about a trade like that?)

Least Original User Name Ever, I hope you didn’t feel like I was just dismissing you, but we do have a pretty good formula for how the league is set up, to the point that this is the only fantasy league I usually play.

Now, any ideas on what this year’s incredibly funny league name should be?

oh no, i’m cool…i was just wondering if anyone had the wheels set in motion for it.

i saw the preliminary league, but i was wondering if it was just something to have to fill a time slot. by all means, count me in

The BALCO names are played out…we’ll find something juicy, but the early fave has to be Gardenhire’s Pin Pals

Anna Benson’s Stadium Tour?

if you do that, then i’ll be “mr. met”

OK, by my count we have 10 owners for sure (11 if Gadarene decides to play for sure.) That means we need 5-7 more owners. Any regulars we still haven’t heard from?

I might play if I remember when you guys set this up.

But I don’t follow MLB too well, so I probably won’t be any good.

The one thing about baseball (vs. football in particular) is you really need to both follow the game as well as check up with the league 1-2 times a week minimum to make it work. Especially in our league, which is kind of a stathead league. Don’t want to scare you away, and you’re certainly welcome to join the fun… but want to make sure you know what you’re getting into, so YOU have fun with it too :slight_smile:

What Kiros said, plus the added comment that this league pretty much expects all it’s players to continue out the entire season regardless of where you are in the standings. Players quitting or getting lazy midseason ruins it for everyone.