You need to have your insides medically examined. Do you take a tube down the mouth or up the butt?

I’ve had a tube down my throat, via the nose, right into the stomach. It wasn’t much fun putting it down there, but at least I could sit up straight. I’d choose that route again, given the choice.

This is my answer. That nasty hypersalinated snot you have to drink is the deciding point for me. Everything else is just an inconvenience. If you have to have it done, you have to have it done. If they can give you something to overcome the gag reflex, I guess I’d take down the mouth, but I don’t mind the other way too much as long as I don’t have to drink that stuff.

Isn’t nasal access an option too? Do we HAVE to pick from bum/throat only?? boooo.

Given the two options presented, I’d pick down the throat. Easy-peasy.

But, the last time someone needed a peek at my insides, it was done with a laparoscope - right over my navel.

Then there were the two times my knee needed attention, both of those were arthroscopic. Not sure if the spinal surgery was arthroscopic or laparoscopic - definitely some sort of -scopic.

Through the nose is the same as through the throat - they meet up just behind your mouth.

Anyway…butt. I have enough breathing problems without a probe stuck down my throat.

I, too, have had the tube down the throat while on a twilight drug. The only repercussions from it were a slightly irritated scratchy feeling on my throat for about a day afterward, and my ex-wife’s extreme amusement at my demand for pancakes as I was regaining my senses.

I’ll take the throat and the comfort pancakes every time.

Seems like most of the people who’ve had the throat done before don’t mind taking it again, at all…but the asses appear to be taking this poll by storm.

I was quite comfortably numbed during my procedures, but I have to say that the clear liquid diet, and then that damned MoviPrep or GoLytely stuff, and THEN sitting on the toilet, wishing that it came with a seat belt, ,all combines to make me say that the prep for a colonoscopy is a royal pain in the ass. Dave Barry says it better.

I might be the only one in the world, but I only shit about 6-7 times in three hours during my colonoscopy prep, and didn’t fart at all afterwards. My colon is special I guess.

In my experience, you do not get a choice.

Had both done.

Load me up with enough drugs (as my endoscopist did), and I don’t care about the portal of entry.

True. Which is probably why I said “I know you don’t get a choice” in the OP. :stuck_out_tongue:

I got in both, same session.

They gave me fentanyl and lorazepam, but not enough to clear the memory- it is hazy, but clear and complete…

Missed the edit…

In the interest of TMI, I have a clear memory of them asking me to swallow, then shoving as hard as they could a ribbed tube about 4 inches in diameter, made of a flexible plastic, down my throat. This was after the camera had discovered a ring of scar tissue that was blocking swallowing- this was the method to clear it.
While it was happening, the nurse assistant told me that I wouldn’t remember it in about ten minutes- in ten minutes I described it to her.
Next time (I have to have it done next year again) I am gonna tell them to up my dosage.
Not a fun memory.

No, I’ve had two endoscopies down my throat and I’ve been completely unconscious for both. The only after-effect was I had a really sore throat for about a day.

Never had an anal endoscopy.

I have had both, but several oral endoscopies.

For an oral endoscopy they can and will knock you out. When I had my last one, they attempted to do it with me semi-conscious - my preference, but I they were taking tissue samples all along the esophagus and it made me gag and so they put me out. The others were done with me out from the beginning.

I was out for the anal one.

Neither hurt nor would I care which had to be done, if it had to be done.

You know, things aren’t that primitive any more - you have the option of using a pill cam that will transmit images to a receiver during it’s journey through your GI tract.

Both. You need an upper and a lower GI exam.

Up the bum.

Every time they put a tube down your throat, there’s a risk they could hit your vocal cords and do some damage. I’ve been operated on three times in the last 25 years, and every time they’ve given me the same warning. I’ve been lucky so far, but I can’t afford to have anything happen to my voice due to the intubation; that’s my livelihood.