Why Do People Use Checks To Buy Groceries?

Why do some people write out checks to pay for their groceries? If you open a checking account, they give you a debit card for free, so why not just use that?? It’s faster and easier to use. Or just pay cash.

Instead, they have to sit there and write out a check-

*“Who do I make this out to?”

“What’s today’s date?”

“Oops, I spelled 40 F-O-U-R-T-Y!”

“Hang on, let me fill out the transaction in my register.”*

Why don’t they just use the debit card and save everybody’s time?

Thanks.

Because they are old and/or stupid.

Debit card transactions are much more secure, and much faster.

Or, they (like I) have an account at a bank that charges a fee for a debit card so declined to have one.

However, I usually pay cash.

Maybe because they’re waiting for a deposit to clear and need the extra few days?

Maybe they left the debit card at home?

Maybe they like having the written record of their transaction (those receipts are pesky and easy to lose)?

I like writing checks, and prefer them to debit cards. I feel as though I’m more conscious of how much money I spend when I have to write it out. But I try to write up as much of the check as I can ahead of time.

Or maybe they just prefer to write checks instead? Maybe preferences aren’t a matter of age or intelligence?

sheesh :rolleyes:

Why do people start threads that look like a question but are actually rants in disguise?

I write checks for my groceries—and I do it a helluva lot faster than most people who are fiddling with their cash and their coupons. I have everything on the check but the amount filled out before I leave home.

And by the way, I am indeed old and stupid—but I am also very speedy at the check-out line.

All of the above answers, except the stupid one, apply. My bank sometimes has a bit of a problem with my direct deposit. This has only been a problem the last two months, but when I know my direct deposit went in my account at 6am, but they don’t acknowledge it til much, much later in the day…it’s safer to write a check than have my check card rejected…and yes, I do live paycheck-to-(two days before)-paycheck, so there’s usually less than $10 in my account the day before the direct deposit hits.

Since I have a Visa check card, as long as I choose Credit instead of Debit I don’t get charged a fee, I just can’t get cash back.

I understand that some people prefer checks.

But if people use them because they are floating a check, they should think twice. Some places are now using a machine thingie that instantly will decline your check as it would a debit card.

But my beef is with the idiots that just LA DE DAH stand in line and then at the last minute pull out their check book.

um. Hello?
you know what store you are at.
you know the date.
you know how to sign your name.

so DO IT ALL READY.
yes, while you wait in line!
don’t gaze at the weekly world news (as tempting as that is).

and I don’t want to hear “I dont have a pen”.
if you carry a check book:carry a pen.

Maybe some people just prefer to do it that way so they can write everything in their register, right then and there. Usually I pay cash, but if I’m low on cash in hand what am I supposed to do?

Like Eve, I make sure to write everything out before getting to the cashier. It’s just too bad you get behind in line of inconsiderate people.

<—Also old and stupid but fast at checkout (hey, I wanna get home now, just like everyone else. :smiley: )

I don’t have a check card. I’m horrible with finances and it’s just easier for me to keep track without one of those damn check/debit cards, they just get me into trouble. :slight_smile: And considering I only go grocery shopping once every month, it’s usually for over 100 bucks. I don’t like carrying large amounts of cash on me, so I write a check. I always fill out everything but the amount while waiting in line though, and I’m usually faster than those who pay with a debit card/cash. I also live paycheck to paycheck and by the time I get paid my cupboards are usually bare, so I like to shop on payday, paycheck doesn’t clear until a day or two after I deposit it, so by writing a check, I get to shop a day or two early and avoid starving for a couple of days. And I’m neither old nor stupid thankyouverymuch, I simply don’t make jack for salary and sometimes have to be rather inventive with my finances…

It may be because we’re fat, ugly women with a lot of credit card debt and we have husbands that cheat on us because their ancestors were rapists with small dicks.

Report to the pit surreal. You make me nuts

Hah! More secure, my foot. Anyone who gets hold of your debit card can empty your bank account – and the bank isn’t obligated to cover the losses (with a check, if the name is forged, they are).

There’s no excuse for not being prepared when paying by check, of course. You should have the check and pen in hand, and have written in the date and name of the store before the bill is totalled.

I do find it annoying when people paying cash don’t think to open their purses/wallets until they see the total. Do they think they won’t have to use the money?

Jarbaby’s so cute when she’s annoyed.

Maybe its because the credit-card swiper thingy at most supremarkets can take longer than writing a check (“no, it’s not a debit card it’s a credit card…no, I don’t want to use a PIN…”). Maybe some of us just prefer to have a handy check carbon instead of an easy-to-lose receipt. Maybe we just want to pay by check because we take perverse pleasure in watching you glare at us from your position at the end of the line. Maybe nobody owes you an explanation…

I use checks because I’m used to them. I can write one out just as fast as using one of those cards. My Credit Union charges something for them, since it saves them money I haven’t figured out why they charge. If I had one I might use it more too. I’m not sure my grocery store takes cards yet.

Another reason is I bought a double batch of checks the last time so I have about 10 boxes at home and I want to use them up before I get married or move.

I use coupons too!

We don’t have debit cards. Refuse to get them from the bank. Consumer Advisor Clark Howard is quite down on them for a lot of reasons.

Clueless time-sucking idjits at the front of lines are the problem, not how they pay for it.

(E.g., I’m always behind the group of kids at the googleplex who wait until they’re first in line to decide on what movie to see.)

You would think they could at least fill out the name of the store while waiting in line, but especially annoying is when, after the whole adventure of watching them look for their checkbook, search for a pen, ask how to spell the name of the store and then fumble for an ID…they will have a check from a different state and a drivers licence from yet another state.
After the manager has been called over to sign his/her OK, then they stand there and balance their checkbook (usually counting with their fingers.)
The transaction is then complete.
The $2.95 magazine has been purchased.

I don’t mean to be sexist, but personal observation has determined that 90% of the culprits are women.
(Any women want to comment on that observation?)

This otta’ be fun!

Maybe some people need to relax a little and not get their freakin’ noses out of joint because they have to wait in line a few seconds longer.

Jeez. Switch to decaf.

I usually pay with cash for groceries, but would NEVER do it by debit card, as my bank charges $1 per transaction after 4 ATM or debit transactions a month. I save those 4 for withdrawing cash.