Do I have to go to the dentist?

I avoid the dentist like the plague. I’m particularly maniacal about oral hygiene, so usually I don’t have a problem, but…

I have this Shmoo on my gum that really hurts. The surrounding teeth don’t hurt at all, but my gum is puffy and red, bleeds when I brush and floss, and is pretty achy. I think I may have got a popcorn kernel stuck under there. Damn you popcorn kernel - damn you to hell!

So, I’ve been gargling with salt water - what else can I do? Do I HAVE to go to a dentist? Can anyone recommend a good anti-bacterial rinse? What exactly will the dentist do, anyhow?

Help me here folks. I will go to great lengths to avoid the dentist.

I don’t know anyone who likes dentist visits. But the dentist can also determine if there are any other things going on such as cancers of the mouth & its components. As far as visiting a dentist for your condition, it depends on how long you’ve had the gum problem, I would guess.

I must be one of the few people who don’t mind going to the dentist. I usually doze off in the chair. But I digress.

No, you don’t have to go to the dentist. You don’t have to do anything. My brother-in-law the dentist has told me that popcorn kernels will usually work themselves out. You could try flossing. But if the gum is red and bleeding and achy, this might be out of the do-it-yourself category. A dentist will be able to remove it with no problem. If that indeed is the problem. You might have the beginning stages of gum diseases (but IANAD).

There are dentists who specialize in the “nervous” patient. If you hate going to the dentist so much that you refuse to go, you might want to look for one of those. As we get older, we don’t lose our teeth due to decay, we lose them due to gum disease. The dentist is our friend.

Your gums could be receding from too much brushing or brushing with a hard bristle, etc…

See a dentist to be sure.

My husband thought he had a strawberry seed stuck in his gum by a back top molar, but the tooth had split all the way up to the root. He had to go to an endodontist for three consecutive surgeries for a root canal and then the dentist for a crown. $$$. But it was better than losing the tooth. I hate going to the dentist, too. If it doesn’t get better real soon, it may be for the best to bite the bullet. :slight_smile:

There are dentists who specialize in treating nervous patients or people who don’t like going to the dentist. Some of them even sedate patients so you sleep through the treatment. Try to find a dentist like that. If you live in a decent size city there should be at least 1 in your area.

Stop posting and call the damn dentist.

It doesn’t matter how well you think you take care of your teeth, as you get older it’s more important to get those regular 6 month cleanings where they clean out the places where brushing and flossing can’t reach well. Gum disease is not nice, and you usually don’t even know you have it gets bad, then you have to get periodontal surgery like me.

HEY! Who are you calling older?!?!?

:smiley: I guess I’ll have to get one of these smilies with bloody gums…

Go to the dentist. I bet, if you talk to the guy, you can get him to not do a full out cleaning/polishing/scraping thing like they usually do. Just get the kernel, or whatever it is taken care of. Get some advice on hygiene, if he thinks you’re doing something wrong, and be on your way. Oh, I’d also get a set of x-rays done, they don’t hurt in the least, and may find a problem that you haven’t noticed.

While he’s working, just close your eyes, and grip the arms of the chair nice and tight, it helps.

Well, I took an anti-inflamatory and the swelling/pain are pretty much gone.

Woo hoo! Saved from the dentist again!

I know I should go more often, but I really, REALLY can’t stand it.

When I DO go, (last time was about 4 years ago) both the dentist and hygenist are really impressed with how clean my mouth is. Like I said, I’m pretty maniacal about oral hygene, specifically so I can avoid the trips.

Now, if anyone wants to tell me I’m a moron for refusing to go, please, feel free. :smiley: