BLUE MAN GROUP

Just spent the weekend in Chicago, and yeah it’s a pretty nice town, but this would have been just another run-of-the-mill weekend jaunt if not for the show we say, “Blue Man Group”. It’s these three guys in blue paint, and they drum on PVC pipes, there’s an awesome band, they do art commentary (hilarious), it was just sooooooo beautiful. Turns out they’ve been around for some time. Anyone else seen 'em? If you get a chance, you’ve GOT TO GO!!!

i haven’t seen them myself, but they got a ringing endorsement from several friends of mine whose taste i trust, so i’ll recommend them as well.

ellis, the man someday hoping to catch the blue man group

ps.
they have a web site up. http://www.blueman.com

I really hated this.

Went in NYC around Christmas of 1997 with a couple of relatives in town from Chicago. I knew what to expect, but was less than blown away by the actuality…didn’t find it entertaining or enlightening.

After about 45 minutes I slipped out to the lobby for a smoke (sorry, Flora) and decided to stay out there and read the Arnold Bennett novel I’d brought along, wait for the whole thing to blow over.

Uke

Saw it and loved it. Everything abstract theater should be, IMHO.

“I think it would be a great idea” Mohandas Ghandi’s answer when asked what he thought of Western civilization

Saw it, thought it was great, nearly lost my glasses in the end. Has anyone seen it twice? Do they do the same thing every time or mix it up a little?

“I guess it is possible for one person to make a difference, although most of the time they probably shouldn’t.”

Saw it, loved it and actually went on stage for the Twinkie bit. I had a fabulous time!

I imagine the show varies a little for each performance and larger changes come about from inspiration and/or boredom. The artists I know are loathe to produce the same piece twice.

I enjoyed it as part of a music convention a few years back in NYC. I especially liked how they made fun of Toto, something I assume they did especially for us music industry geeks…

Brian O’Neill
CMC International Records
rockuniverse.com/cmc/cmc.html

ICQ 35294890
AIM Scrabble1
Yahoo Messenger Brian_ONeill

FWIW, I really enjoyed it.

Not that anyone cares, but my best friend works front-of-house for the Blue Man Group. I’ve never seen them but they come highly recommended (by my pal, of course!)

Oh, dear, this seems to be my first major falling-out with ALL my Straight Dope pals, taste-wise. Now I’ll be socially ostracized.

Uke

Saw it once, loved it, and intend to go back.

I saw an interview with the performers on Chicago After Dark or some such local PBS talkshow, and they said that each show is different since they have about twice as many bits as can fit into one night, and so they mix it up a lot. Some of them (like the “pipes” sequences) are traditional and so are included in every show, but lots of the rest of them rotate in-and-out depending on who is performing (there are 5-6 Blue Men in each city (Chicago/New York/Boston), but only 3 are on stage for each performance) and what they feel like.

Jason R Remy

“No amount of legislation can solve America’s problems.”
– Jimmy Carter (1980)

Nah, Ike, it’s okay - we already knew you had no taste! I’ll still be your pal!

We saw them last month in Boston, and had a blast. The only part I didn’t like was the fake barf scene which sprayed the front few rows with what I think was a mixture of bananas and limburger cheese (others in our group smelled banana, I smelled puke). We had plastic ponchos but those weren’t adequate to the task.

Aside from that, it was a hoot and a half. My daughter has the spit-painting as a souvenir (she was in the front row and the guy handed it to her).

Oh good grief, I somehow stumbled across this zombie-to-end-all-zombies thread. :smack:.

Well, we did enjoy the show :).

Blue Zombie Group is an act I would pay to see!

Actually, I’ve wanted to see Blue Man Group for years. Maybe next time I’m in Vegas.

I’ve seen them a couple times at Epcot, they rock.

This thread is so old (how old is it?) that it dates back to before Cafe Society split off into a separate forum.

I’ll leave this zombie open, with the move, but without color commentary.

I’ve never seen BMG live, but there was a special on PBS not long ago featuring them. Of course they had the PVC drum, but there was also something about BMG playing drums with Japanese drummers – you know the huge drums where the drummer is leaning back and pounding?

Does anyone know if video of BMG with the Japanese drummers is available? I’ve looked on YouTube, and found BMG drumming, and the Japanese drummers, but not both together, as on the PBS special.

Plus, I’m thinking of taking my wife to a BMG concert for her birthday next year. They’ll be near us…:slight_smile:

For once I noticed it was a zombie before posting. A post by Satan helped a lot in noticing that.

They talk??