How can I sell a used CD burner?

I have a CD burner that I used in my parents computer, but I just got a new one. What kind of place would buy a used burner? Should I just use ebay?

eBay it, but with new top-of-the-line burners going for as little as $30 don’t expect to get much for it.

How about donating it to a local library / church / school / charity of your choice?

For something this lowend, you might want to try your local newsgroups. <state/city abbr>.forsale (or .ads). Be sure to use a disposable email address as this is the easiest way to start getting spam short of getting an AOL account.

Top-of-the-line burners are actually over $200. But low end ones are indeed $30 now. (Saw an ad in the Sun. paper for a no-name one for $10 after rebates.) So don’t ask a whole lot for it.

ftg

What does the $200 one get you over the $30 one?

What do you consider top of the line? 4X? I would love to get a link to where I can buy a top of the line, or even a middle of the line, burner for $30 bucks.

Unless you meant to say $130, then I ignore my post.

www.computergeeks.com

Well… I just bought a Cendyne (a rebadged Lite-on) 32x from Staples and made money on the deal.

I haven’t seen anything lower than $70 for 48x, but I have seen deals just this week for name-brand 40x burners for $30-50, I assure you.

Why in god’s name are you paying $200 for a burner unless it’s a)SCSI or b) external?

Did you figure in taxes & stamps for your deal? People wanting deals like that try the forum
at techbargains.com

If the cdwriter you have can do slow speeds, like 1x or 2x they might buy it on ebay.com
as those have a special purpose :-)… you won’t make much on it. So maybe give it
to a thrift store & take a tax write off, or better yet, keep it, you can have two drives like
that in the comptuer at the same time.

I don’t know how much you burn, but some burning software can handle multiple burners. Just a thought.

handy,

You can adjust the speeds of most, if not all, modern burners using the burning software. If what you’re implying is that slower CD-RW drives are useful in defeating software protection, you are wrong. What is necessary is having the correct brand of burner and the appropriate software. Speed has nothing to do with it.

Forgive me if I’m making an incorrect assumption.

“You can adjust the speeds of most, if not all, modern burners using the burning software.”

Nope, none of the ones I bought can do under 8x. Surprised? I was.

Also:
“Beware, STAPLES maybe cheating you on the CENDYNE deal”
http://forums.techbargains.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11162

When you say under $70 for 48x, please tell me you are talking about Read speed, right? I know computer technology advances at a ridiculous rate, but I paid $70 for a 32x read 8x write 4x rewrite not even a year ago.

Oh, and handy, irony alert! That thread has a Staples ad at the top of the page.