What Movie Has Been Seen by the Most People?

Here’s something Mrs. Rastahomie and I were discussing a few night ago: what movie has been seen by the most people, worldwide? NOT “which movie has made the most money,” or a similar question, but which movie has been seen by more people than any other? This isn’t limited to theatrical release only; for this thread we can include video rentals, too.

I suggested Star Wars.
[ul]
[li]It’s made bazillions of dollars.[/li][li]It’s been hyped all to hell.[/li][li]It’s been around for two and a half decades.[/li][li]Many people from the first generation that saw it took their kids to see it (or rented it for their kids or whatever).[/li][li]It’s a damn good movie :D.[/li][/ul]

Mrs. Rastahomie suggested Titanic
[ul]
[li]It, too, has made bazillions of dollars; even more than Star Wars.[/li][li]Though it hasn’t been around as long as Star Wars, it was hyped even more mercilessly.[/li][li]It’s a pretty good movie.[/li][/ul]

Or, perhaps it’s some old classic like Casablanca or Gone With the Wind (although I have no idea how that movie could appeal to a non-American audience).

Any other ideas?

Are you talking in an actual movie theatre or would you include home video and television?

Ticket sales is about the only way to go on this but many people (like me) have seen some flims only on video. (Casablanca for instance) But I have actually bought a ticket to Gone with the Wind (I was realy drunk at the time).

IIRC ET and Titanic sold about the same number of tickets. Of course there may be some Indian film that was seen by more peole and we’ve never heard of it.

I don’t know a single person who hasn’t seen Beetlejuice. It did OK in the theaters, but it has one of the largest rental records of 1988.

Since you’re including video and TV viewings in your question, I’ve got two more classic suggestions: Wizard of Oz and It’s a Wonderful Life.

If you count short films, most of the Bugs Bunny cartoons were originally released in theaters; I wouldn’t be surprised if repeated Saturday morning/weekday afternoon showings to generations of kids had put something like “What’s Opera Doc?” at the top of the list.

!?

I’d say it would have to have these criteria:
[ul]
[li]Has to be a classic that’s been around for several decades, so more total people from different generations have seen it.[/li][li]Has to be old enough that it’s been around since before other countries had movie production at all, so it’s been dubbed into hundreds of languages and seen throughout the globe, first as a “moving picture” type novelty, then later as a classic.[/li][li]Should have some elements that were considered “revolutionary” at the time, so everyone would clamor to see something they had never seen before.[/li][li]Preferably seasonal, so once a year people sit down and watch it without fail.[/li][/ul]

Along those lines, I’d vote for It’s a Wonderful Life or Sound of Music, or going even older, something like Metropolis or Nosferatu.

bean_shadow, meet Carnivorousplant.

Carnie, meet bean_shadow.

Now you have.

:slight_smile:

Well. Take out a box of Crayolas and color me tickled pink. I never thought I would meet someone like you! I figured EVERYBODY (at least in America) has seen Beetlejuice. I was wrong.

I would guess the Wizard of Oz. And I’ve never seen Beetlejuice. :slight_smile:

No votes for Gone With The Wind?

I’m just guessing but my pick for the full-length movie the most people have seen at least once is Gone With the Wind. It ranked as the highest grossing movie ever released for about 30 years which is quite an achievement when you factor in the rate of inflation since its release in 1939. It was also among the highest-rated programs of all-time when it was first broadcast on American free TV in 1976.

Other candidates: the original King Kong, Frankenstein, and Dracula.

As for silent movies, Birth of a Nation was an international sensation for years after its release in 1915 but is not seen that often today for obvious reasons.

It’d have to be Wizard of Oz. It wasn’t a major hit at the time of its release, but everyone in America has seen it on TV. It also was shown worldwide quite extensively. TV broadcasts are the major factor: any broadcast is going to get a bigger audience than saw the film in theaters.

It’s a Wonderful Life challenges Oz because of TV viewings, but Oz was on the air for a decade or two before anyone watched IAWL (It was practically forgotten when I first saw it in 1973 or so).

If you don’t include broadcasting, it gets dicier. GWTW is the box office champ, if you adjust for inflation (see http://www.filmsite.org/boxoffice.html). But Star Wars probably did better in video. I’d give the nod to SW on that basis.

(BTW – Beetlejuice isn’t even in the top 100.

I would guess a HUGE Bollywood Movie that was subsequently seen on TV in India nd throughout SW Asia.

It could also be the a Chinese Movie with a similar pattern.

In short, I would bet +80% of the very hip, literate, open & knowledgeable SDMB folks have never heard of the most watched movie ever. Just a guess no cites

…not me…

I have seen Beetlejuice, though. :wink:

Ticket sales aren’t the statistic we’re after, here. I get the impression that Titanic largely succeeded based on repeat viewings, and I suspect that the same might be true of GwtW. Or, for that matter, for most of the success of any blockbuster movie.

Frankly, I don’t see how any other movie could possibly beat Wizard of Oz or It’s a Wonderful Life. I’m inclined to agree with RealityChuck that Oz is the winner, but It’s a Wonderful Life has to be a pretty close runner up.

Casablanca.

Do you include people who leave the theatre before the movie is over because their teeth hurt?

Probably Gone WIth The Wind. Heck, almost everyone’s seen it, and a lot of people who saw it have died, but still count. They haven’t seen Titanic. Oz may give it a run, though. Both have had about a 60 year run.

FTR, I haven’t seen Titanic, Beetlejuice, Wonderful Life, or Casablanca. I should see Casablanca, just haven;t goittne around to it.

I don’t think it would be anything like Casablanca or Wonderful Life. I think it would need a simple universal plot/theme that could easily translate into many foreign languages. What American movies have a big audience in India and China?

I believe Ebert mused over this several years ago in his “Movie Answer Man” column. His conclusion was GWTW. It had the largest theatrical gross when adjusted for inflation and has been seen by hundreds of millions around the world.

I like the idea of it being a Bollywood or Asian film, but I find that unlikely. More than 25% (significantly more if I remember correctly) of Chinese people have never made a telephnone call. I would surmise a similar percent have never seen a movie. For those who do frequent movies my Indian friends say they intersperse American classics with Bollywood films.

In short my vote goes to GWTW.

Gone with the Wind

Casablanca

The Wizard of Oz

The Ten Comandments

It’s a Wonderful Life

I’d say it’s probably one of these but I’d also say that including video rentals makes it IMPOSSIBLE to say. If a person rents a movie you have no way of knowing if they watch it alone or with 20 friends of if they are renting it for the 50th time. Same with ratings for broadcast showings the numbers are all estimated.