how big is 50 square feet?

please help. for long and boring reasons i need to find an illustrative equivalent of fifty square feet. does any body know of something which is roughly that big (thinking sports pitches, dinosaur prints etc). thanks.

anything that is about 7 ft long by 7 ft wide

use your imagination…mine needs a caffeine boost at the moment

sips coffee
wait…how about “Dilbert’s cubicle”?

A square 7’ on the side is 49 sq ft.

Not to be prejudiced by the word “square,” a circle with a radius of 4 feet has an area of just a hair over 50 sq. ft.

aww, c’mon, sailor, I did say “about”! :slight_smile:

I figured someone would call me on that, but not quite so soon.

What can I say…I’m an environmental engineer & an astronomy hobbyist…rounding off is second nature.

Ok…how about something that is about 7.071067812 ft by 7.071067812 ft.

We’ll presume the OP can do the arithmetic. She’s looking for an actual object about that size for comparison. How about a king size mattress, which should be darn close to 7 x 7?

An area one foot by fifty feet is 50 sq. ft. So is an area one inch wide and 600 feet long. So is an area that is five feet by ten feet. A 50 sq. ft. square would be 7.0710678118654752440084463210485 feet on a side – more or less.

Remember A (of a rectangle) = L * W

If you’re looking for a circle, A = Pi * R[sup]2[/sup] so you’re looking at a circle a little under 8 feet across.
50 = 3.14159 * R[sup]2[/sup], 15.91 = R[sup]2[/sup], 3.989 = R, D = 7.979

Half the size of a 10 X 10 camping tent.

Half the size of a bedroom in a 1950’s 3-bedroom ranch house. (But not the “master” bedroom that might have been 11 X 11.)

About the footprint (or shadow at noon on June 21) of a picnic table (assuming a table eight feet long and 6’ 3" wide).

At work: just over six ceiling tiles (usually 4’ X 2’).

DOH! My post got eaten. My suggestion was king-sized bed.
This one is almost exactly 50 square feet.

Phobos, I had not seen your post when I posted and my post was in direct answer to the OP but chance made it look like it was in response to yours. :slight_smile:

Put a twin bed together with a queen sized bed and you have a bit over 50 square ft (and a good place for a wild orgy)

BTW, what do they teach in school these days when someone has to ask this type of question?

Coincidences are getting to be too much here. Now two people think of beds simultaneously.

A 4’x8’ piece of plywood, but a foot wider and two feet longer…

I like Phobos’ suggestion, a fairly roomy cubicle is a nice 50sqft size, or a really, really, small office.

:smiley:

One better: A regulation ping pong table, but a foot longer.

…hmm…the danger zone in a tether-ball game? :slight_smile:

25 couples dancing prudishly?

A moderate-sized bathroom, including a regular-sized tub. My own is about 10x5.

My mother’s bathroom is several times larger, but she has a jacuzzi.

Maybe if every person has one foot. :wink:

Of course. What I meant was “25 one-footed couples dancing prudishly”. Was that not obvious?