Why Tuesday? (not politics)

Does anyone know why new CD’s and movies are released on Tuesday’s (Not new movies, but movies on VHS/DVD)? How long has this been the standard?

Sticking with the Tuesday theme, does anyone know what radio station originated the 2 for Tuesday format?

Trying is the first step to failure

According to my video store owner friend they get shipped out on Friday so they arrive at stores, typically, by Tuesday, but occasionally, in some regions, on Monday.

I have seen local promos where you can buy the hot new album at 12:01 a.m. Tuesday. Obviously they have them in the store on Monday in order to do so, but are simply cashing in on the hype. My guess is they don’t discount them at 12:01.

“Cheddar?”
“We don’t get much call for that around here, Sir.”

According to my son (helluva source, huh?) it is because the people who count sales for a week define a week as starting on Tuesday and ending on Monday. So it makes sense if you want to have a big first week of sales to start selling on Tuesday.

“You can be smart or pleasant. For years I was smart.
I recommend pleasant.”
Elwood P. Dowd

WAG:

If the CD is shipped out on Friday, it would probably arrive at the store after it opened for business on Monday. They probably couldn’t put it out in the store for sale (especially if it has its own little display thingy) until Tuesday.

Gypsy: Tom, I don’t get you.
Tom Servo: Nobody does. I’m the wind, baby.

Could it be the other way around? Meaning that the sales week starts on Tuesday because that’s when the CDs first arrive?