what is the name of the complex when a person always has to be right.

wanting to do research on the personality disorder of a person always having to be right. i think it has a name or a medical description, something stupid like “napoleon complex.”

a term that will help me find information on search engines.

i am describing a person who thinks they are always correct, in every discussion or argument. someone who thinks they are never wrong.

I believe “dogmatism” comes close. There’s a cool word in German - Rechthaberei - that comes close but it doesn’t seem to have made its way into English as a loan word yet.

See if narcissism covers what you’re trying to get at.

I think the medical term is “stuyguysgirlfriendism.”

[grinny here]

“Assholery.”

Sorry I don’t have anything helpful; I poked around on Google a bit but got nothing.

It is narcissism. Definitely. No doubt. The rest of you are wrong. You just can’t understand, so go away.

What?

Do a search for “NPA disorder” It’s a testable neurological condition called Narcissism, Perfectionism, and Aggression. I’m embarrassed to admit I exhibit symptoms of NPA and I’m being treated for them among other things. FWIW, some people such as myself aren’t just run of the mill assholes, we recognize our problems and we are truly trying to make a change in our lives. People who always have to be right and think that’s a good thing probably are just assholes, and believe me sooner or later they will get thumped for it.

How about the “Jackass” complex?

I haven’t seen “the need to be right” listed in any of the characteristics of personality disorders.

I’m not a profession, but it seems to me that this symptom all by itself doesn’t indicate much. There are several characteristics of each disorder and a specified number of the criteria that a person must meet before being labelled as having a personality disorder.

Correct me if I’m wrong! :wink:

I

I’m not quite sure what you’re thinking of is called (though I know people that have it) but I think a Napolean Complex has a requisite of being short (physically) or small (in the mind/wallet/penis.) It’s the little guy that thinks he has to act like an asshole to make up for his shortcomings.

this is all great, keep it coming…and thanks

It’s the “I’m always right and there isn’t a name for it because I say there isn’t and I’m always right” complex.

Science fiction author A E van Vogt some years ago wrote an essay called “The Right Man” about dominant males who had to be right about everything. English author Colin Wilson has made reference to van Vogt’s essay in several of his books particularly in regard to murderers.

It is narcissism. Please note, however, that narcissist cannot admit that they are a narcissist, so there are no mental illness hypochondriacs who go around complaining of suffering from narcissism that actually are narcissists.

cite?

Narcissistic Personality Disorder
An all-pervasive pattern of grandiosity (in fantasy or behaviour), need for admiration or adulation and lack of empathy, usually beginning by early adulthood and present in various contexts. Five (or more) of the following criteria must be met:

1. Feels grandiose and self-importance (e.g., exaggerates achievements and talents to the point of lying, demands to be recognized as superior without commensurate achievements);

2. Is obsessed with fantasies of unlimited success, fame, fearsome power or omnipotence, unequalled brilliance (the cerebral narcissist), bodily beauty or sexual performance (the somatic narcissist), or ideal everlasting, all-conquering love or passion;

3. Firmly convinced that he or she is unique and, being special, can only be understood by, should only be treated by, or associate with, other special or unique, or high-status people (or institutions);

4. Requires excessive admiration, adulation, attention and affirmation - or, failing that, wishes to be feared and to be notorious (narcissistic supply);

5. Feels entitled. Expects unreasonable or special and favourable priority treatment. Demands automatic and full compliance with his or her expectations;

6. Is “interpersonally exploitative”, i.e., uses others to achieve his or her own ends;

7. Devoid of empathy. Is unable or unwilling to identify with or
    acknowledge the feelings and needs of others;

8. Constantly envious of others or believes that they feel the same about him or her;

9. Arrogant, haughty behaviours or attitudes coupled with rage when frustrated, contradicted, or confronted.

“Fatherhood.”

False Authority Syndrome?

That comes close, but it’s not exact. FAS is more like “insecure blowhard.” I think you’re looking for something closer to “narcissitic know-it-all.”

I’ve known people with that “always have to be right” personality flaw. The science newsgroups seem to attract them. One term from psychology which describes their behavior is: Heavily Defended, meaning that they’ve evolved extremely strong defense mechanisms which sustain the illusion that they’re perfect and superior.

My own invention is “FPD” or Flamer Personality Disorder.

:slight_smile:
FPD page: Internet trolls: the Flamer Personality Disorder

Sorry, but this is not true. It’s not in the diagnostic criteria, and it’s not impossible.

–IAA Psychologist

I don’t always have to be right, I just always am. Sorry, I can’t help it, and it isn’t my fault if you can’t see it.