Why do Europeans dislike Americans?

Why is it that Europeans dislike Americans? 42% of their high school graduates can’t name a country in Asia but so what?
I am genuinly interested as to if there is a specific reason across europe or if each country has it’s own reason…suggestions please and of corse, defences.

Here is a tentative starter, The British hate Americans because Americans don’t observe the incredible complexities of British society rules and fail to realise they exist, ie on a train carrige in which one person is sitting, take a seat as far away from them as possible … plus they don’t know where scotland is…

This is supposed to be light hearted not a place to hurl insults!

There are generally two types of Europeans.

Depending on which country you are from, you have one of 2 different types of resentment towards the US:

1. The Euopeans from a country whose rear end we saved.

2. The Europeans from a country whose rear end we kicked.

And british hate americans btecause they don’t seem to have realised that if thier president hadn’t been so stupid as not to join the leage of nations then the war would not have started in the first place so it was in fact thier duty to fight :slight_smile:

Oh, great. So much for factual answers to factual questions. Nice to see we’re mature enough to rise above petty sniping, too.

There is a vocal minority of anti-Americanism in some European countries, mostly mainland Western European. It is not as pervasive as some observers seem to assume. This may largely be based on the perceived dominance of American culture and business, often seen as somehow responsible for the decline of local cultural and business institutions, and more recently on criticism of US foreign policy. There isn’t really a concrete way of proving the degree to which these beliefs have any basis in reality, so I think this may be better placed in Great Debates or IMHO. Or even the Pit if we get any more silly generalisations on either side.

This was done recently in another thread. Try a search and you’ll find lots of opinions.
And Susanann, as it seems the French despise Americans, I wonder what you’re trying to say? Your brush is pretty wide.

I’ve travelled through a lot of Europe over the last ten years and have been subject to very, very little anti-Americanism. Most Europeans who are vehemently against the policies of the American government are savvy enough not to blame individual Americans for them.

Haj

As noted, this subject has come up before. You can find examples both in GD and the Pit.

However, it begins with a false premise, and so “factual” answers are going to be unattainable.

First: “Europeans” do not dislike Americans.
There are specific small groups of Europeans who dislike American foreign policy or American tourists or American TV shows and movies flooding their theaters and TVs or American capital punishment or a number of other aspects of things American.
However, even within these groups, you will find people who despise our foreign policy who still think that individual persons from the States are quite nice. The blanket statement that “they” dislike “us” is simply wrong.

Second: A certain amount of feelings directed toward the U.S. are inspired by the sheer size of our presence in the world. We (or some percentage of unperceptive U.S. citizens) used to spend a lot of time “hating” the Russians because that nation was a very visible threat to our nation, while we rarely spent much time having any thoughts at all about people from Togo (if we could even find enough Yanks who knew where it was).
The U.S., however, is so large and powerful, that it is impossible to ignore it. Whether it is exported culture, extended military presence, or economic club wielding, nearly everyone in the world encounters some aspect of the U.S. every week, so they are all going to have some opinions. And if everyone has an opinion, some percentage of those opinions are going to be negative.

Third: Europeans (and Asians, Africans, South Americans, Oceanics, and North Americans) all have opinions of their own neighbors that can vary from the warm and friendly to the disdainful to the antagonistic. I have seen a few reports in recent years that American tourists have fallen below the Germans and the British as “most hated tourists” in several countries. The Germans and French and British are always taking cheap shots at the others–and lots of people pick on the Italians. So feelings toward Americans are simply expressions of the attitudes that all people display toward all people–and as Yanks, we tend to notice more thje comments directed at us.

Finally: there are silly statements such as those posted by Susanann that reinforce stereotypes that the U.S. believes that the rest of the world should hold us in some sort of awe and that the only bar to that admiration is jealousy or resentment. While that attitude is not held by all Americans, enough people express those attitudes that some Europeans tend to think of Americans as needlessly arrogant.
And, as hajario notes, there are many people who actively like Americans. My first trip through Europe was during the Vietnam war when there were many anti-American protests going on. In eleven months, I encountered only two people who were rude to me as a foreigner, and I cannot say that it was my nationality (as opposed to by foreignness) that triggered either insult. Even in France, where lots of Yanks claim that they “all” hate us, I was treated hospitably on many occasions and never met actual anti-American prejudices.

This European doesn’t hate Americans. I moved to Texas and love it.

Countries do not have opinions.

Theom:

and your cite is…?

Culturally, you will find that there are differences pertaining to body language and so forth. What is comfortable for one culture, isn’t for another. People should be aware of such differences.

As for seats: I think one would be hard pressed to be able to find an empty seat on some railways, no? Think of the commuter rat hell heading into London, for example.

Although having said that, from personal experience I always wonder why I can be the only one parked in an empty car park, only to have someone decide to park right next to me when there are hundreds of spaces to choose from?

Right. Blanket statements and blatant stereotyping aside, then?

The question isn’t factual and designed to invite non-factual replies, inevitably of the sniping kind. Consequently it shouldn’t be in GQ. IMHO maybe, as if it hasn’t been done to death already. :rolleyes:

Cite?

Where do you put the brackets on that monstrosity ? I’d rather see Theom given the benefit of the doubt.

It’s nice to live in such a simple world isn’t it?

Now, pray tell, where does Portugal fall in that scheme of things?

Perfect example!

These are myths believed only by people in the US.

By the way, since this is the Straight Dope® and we hold factual accuracy in high regard, you should know that this statement is pretty much completely wrong:

The league of Nations could almost be considered Wilson’s idea (and, in U.S. high school text books, it is occasionally so presented). It was not Wilson’s rejection of the League, but his inability to persuade the U.S. Senate to consent to U.S. participation, that kept the U.S. out of the League. (And, of course, the assumption that a U.S. presence in the League would have had any effect on preventing WWII is definitely a topic for Great Debates (or, at least, IMHO).

What does Texas have to do with Americans? :wink:

So someone here is saying that 42% of all 16 to 18 year olds in the UK do not know about the existance of, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Iraq, Iran, Israel,Vietnam, Korea, or any of the many other Asian nations that are constantly in the news !!!

Good grief, not everything on the net is true, not even when it is a media organisation reporting it.

Just think about what you, the OP, have said, then look at British colonial history, then start thinking about illegal immigrants, asylum seekers, British peacekeeping operations.

Do you really believe that 42% ?

I think the 42% refers to US high school students.

Yes, I know. I was being sarcastic.

“Believe it” maybe not, but I am afraid it might be true. :frowning: