Chicago - Who you like . . .

Velma or Roxie

I like Velma - she is done wrong by her sister and husband.
I don’t blame her for shooting / killing them.
I kind of like the Sultry Brunette, and Catherine Zeta-Jones can Sing and Dance and Act, I like that whole thing about her.

I don’t like really Roxie - she does her husband wrong. She
acts like she’s the victim, but she got herself into the trouble she’s in. Nothing against Renee Zellweger, I just don’t really go for the Blonde, Helpless girl act. She’s kind of like Marilyn Monroe, Betty Boop thing that I don’t really care for. She sings and Dances OK.

I was thinking after watching Chicago - Hollywood should re-make “Gentlemen Prefer Blondes” Renee Zellweger - the Marilyn Monroe role and Catherine Zeta Jones as the Jane Russell role.

Oh, one more thing - Queen Latifah, she was good, she can sing.
I hope she sings more Jazz, cause I could become a fan. I hope the song Catherine and Latifah sang at the Oscars gets released to buy, cause I would get it.

So, what do you think.

Queen Latifah was the only redeeming feature. I love musicals. I like Fosse. I would like to see more musicals onstage and screen. But I hated Chicago. I can’t really point to any one flaw; the performances were professional, the dancing, the singing; it just left me cold and cynical.

I didn’t watch the Oscars, but if they sang “Class” together, then it is on the Soundtrack. The song and production was filmed but was cut from the final release of the movie.

I have the soundtrack, I don’t think they sang “Class”, I think they sang “I Move On”. I hope they put Class in the DVD or Video release.

I wonder what the Broadway Chicago fans think of the Movie Chicago?

I’m a huge Broadway fan, and I have to say I like the movie better. Blasphemy, I know!

I think, as Simbelmyne points out, the story is kind of cold in both instances. There are no good guys, and at the end of both the play and the movie I just feel sort of empty. What made me like the movie better is that it seemed to be more of a spectacle. The play, while more rigorous in the dancing department, lacked something for me.

I am just glad Madonna or Courtney Love wasn’t in it, that would have ruined Chicago for me.

I"ve got it bad for CJZ.

Bitter beer face girl was good too. Can I have both? And throw QL in for shits and grins?

I mean CZJ.

I don’t generally like musicals much, but I decided to watch Chicago to see what all the fuss was about. Most of the song-and-dance numbers bored me; in particular the songs were lacking in melody but I found the movie moderately enjoyable as a black comedy.

Wow, CyberPundit, you found the music to be lacking in melody? That’s one complaint I’ve honestly never heard before. I think “All That Jazz,” “Razzle Dazzle,” and “When You’re Good to Mama” are all compulsively singable melodies, to the point where once they’re in my head, they NEVER GO AWAY. Oh, well…

Metroshane: Bitter beer face girl?

• FCF

Hmm, let’s see… do I choose the double-murderer/spoiled celebrity? The adulteress/murderer? The shallow, heartless money grubbing lawyer? The corrupt prison matron? Such decisions!

Actually I thought the movie was a lot of fun, although I wish there had been even more Fosse-type dancing. In terms of characters, I liked John C. Reilly the best. I was routing for him to get the Oscar, even though his chances were slim.

In terms of sex appeal, I gotta go with CZJ even though I think she has poor taste in men (maybe that’s a plus for me!)

Velma. But how did she get out? I don’t think we got the whole story.

Re: Velma getting out:

Velma cut a deal with the DA to testify against Roxie (with the diary) in exchange for having the charges against her dropped.

“I think “All That Jazz,” “Razzle Dazzle,” and “When You’re Good to Mama” are all compulsively singable melodies…”
All that Jazz is quite catchy ,actually, but none of the other songs did much for me. I guess it’s a matter of personal taste. I found most of the dancing rather vulgar as well though that was probably the point.

[hijack]
Could someone go over the differences between the movie and the stage musical? I’ve seen the film, but I don’t expect to see the stage show anytime soon. Thanks!
[/hijack]

Another vote for Velma/CZJ – who I’ve decided I like, somewhat to my surprise.

I’ve never cared for RZ, but I think she was well cast as Roxie – more ambition than talent, etc.

(I’m not ignoring your hijack, Interrobang!?, but never saw it on stage. Not much of a hijack, really – you might want to put a little more ooomph into your next effort.)

I was going to say that but as it’s been said already why bother?

Oh and Queen Latifa rocks!

To the best of my recollection interrobang, there is a new song in the movie - I Move On. As well, there are some songs that are cut - Class and Mary Sunshine’s song. The actual trial doesn’t feature as prominently in the musical, and Velma does not, as far as I can recall, save the day.

The most sympathetic character, in my opinion was the Husband Amos, John C. Reilliy’s character. He gets cheated on, he puts himself in debt for the wife who cheated on him and then tried to pin the crime on him, and the only time she pays any attention to him is when she needs the sympathy at the trial.

I would have liked to see him get a better shake, but alas…

I just saw Chicago last night, and really enjoyed it.

Catherine Zeta-Jones was so very sexy. There was a thread a while ago about who you’d go gay for; CZJ would definitely be my pick after seeing this movie…

It was a very “cold” movie in some ways. I didn’t find even Amos terribly likeable. I thought it very stylish and entertaining, though. I can appreciate that just as much as some heart-wrenching drama with lovable characters.