Local Bands You Love That Aren't From Your Area

I absolutely adore Robin Black and the Intergalactic Rock Stars, but they seem to pretty much only play around Toronto, and occasionally some other spot in Canada. Let me tell you, it’s hell even trying to get one of their CD’s down here in Texas, and you can just forget about ever seeing them in person here.

Let me just take this moment to HIGHLY recommend this band to anyone who’s interested. They’re sort of a glam-rock/hair-metal/glitter-punk band of the gods, and they rock. They have a really fanatical fan base, too, but it’s pretty concentrated in their area. Their website is www.robinblackrocks.com, check them out.

So anyway, does anyone else have this curse? A band you love that plays live all the time, but always so far away from you?

LC

Stupid URL comma thing. www.robinblackrocks.com :rolleyes:

The Coral, check them out on this site www.thecoral.co.uk

Mine would be Savatage. I have to special order their CD’s here and they never come even remotely close to where I live.

The Flametrick Subs originated in Houston, I believe, but seeing as how they’ve been living in Austin for the past, oh, seventeen years or so, I think it’s safe to say they’re an “Austin” band.

And one of the best, to boot!

The Detroit Cobras and The Dirtbombs are two kickass garage rock bands (from Detroit) who will never play in Vancouver. I have talked to a local promoter who brings up a lot of smaller American bands, and he can’t book them because they are unable to cross the border (something about a misspent youth). I’ll have to keep an eye out for the next time they play Seattle.
I’ve seen Robin Black… and the live show is pretty damn good. He’s getting pretty big up here, and I wouldn’t be suprised if he does some touring down South soon. You might have to wait til after the war, though. Crossing the border in either direction is a bitch these days.

There used to be this lovely little semi-local pop punk band down in southern California called Longfellow. They broke up when their guitarist ditched them for Papa Roach, but they rocked. I’ve heard of Robin Black, though not actually heard their music.

I rather like Career Girls from Adelaide and Red Rocket from Canberra. Both make gorgeous indie-pop, and have received limited airplay on Triple J, but are most certainly local; I haven’t noticed either of them making the journey to the east coast.

From Nashville, Psonomi is a space rock band that’s just now finding their legs. I’ve seen them twice (played a double bill with them once) and was very impressed.

Chip Greene is also from Nashville, and is a fantastic singer/songwriter piano player. He doesn’t play out much, but he’s this close to finishing an album, so keep an ear out!

There’s this entire genre of music - a subgenre of country, really - that is almost entirely confined to Texas. Many musicians play this style of music, but none of them seem to tour or do anything outside of Texas. How I ever heard of them, I do not know, but damn I love 'em. Charlie Robison, Bruce Robison, and Jack Ingram are three who actually have gotten airplay on CMT, but then there’s Pat Green, Wayne Hancock, Cory Morrow, Beaver Nelson, Cross Canadian Ragweed (they might be from Oklahoma, I’m not sure), Max Stalling…

I would adore to see a Charlie Robison concert - he’s terrific live - but he only ever tours in Texas. Ah well, I’m moving there in three months, I’ll have my chance.