What is the origin of the southern accent?

I have been searching the web for several days now and have been unable to find any information on the origin of the “southern accent”.

If at all possible please leave out terms like schwa and dipthong in your answer. I was kinda hopin’ for an English translation.

Thanks bunches y’all.

Dee

I’ve been wondering this myself. Of course there’s more than just one Southern accent. :slight_smile:

Most accents in the British North American colonies were imported from whatever region in the British Isles the earliest settlers came from. Thus, what we think of today as a particular brand of Southern drawl may actually be a three-centuries-removed variant of a Scottish lowland burr.

See The Dialects of American English:

See also Lee Pederson, “Regional Patterns of American Speech”; Walt Wolfram and Natalie Schilling-Estes, “Language Evolution Or Dying Traditions? The State of American Dialects,” American Language Review, May/June 2000; and Background Notes on American and British English.

Thanks Brian! That was an excellent explaination…and not a single dipthong in the whole thing.

:slight_smile:

shouldn’t dipthong be spelled Deyipthong?

Now hold on a minute. Y’all would think that the only folks what settled the American South was British. If that’s the case, then how do you account for the difference between the Southern accent and the Northern and Western American accents? Y’all know that for a long time–perhaps today the South still has the highest percentage of black folks–the South had the highest percentage of Africans who were enslaved and brought to America. Them Africans weren’t taught to speak the King’s English. In fact they weren’t taught nothin’ at all. They had to learn English as best and as fast as they could so they could understand and communicate with the slavesellers and slaveholders. And enslaved black folks’ variety of English had a major influence on Southern idioms as well. Not only is there a phonological factor, but there is also a word factor. For example, words like okra, gumbo, and goobers come from some West African languages. My brain is a little fried right now so I can’t think of who to tell you to read to find this information, but the studies are out there. Of course it’s difficult pinning any one saying or sound down to specific African and probably British groups, but the influence is there. And then of course there’s the influence of some Native American languages as well. I guess we see those in place names rather than phonology per se. And then of course, if we’re thinking about Louisiana, then you can’t count out the influcence of the French. And then in Texas, which some folks think ain’t part of the South, but is more part of the Southwest, you can’t count out the influence of Spanish.

Just thought I’d throw that out there for y’all to ponder. :smiley:

[celestina tiptoes out of this thread]

Some nut asked a GQ abut Southern Accents & slaves almost a year ago now

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?threadid=115755&highlight=southern+accent

The article that I quoted from earlier, The Dialects of American English, contains this discussion: