"Not even your Eisenhower give you no break"??? - COPS theme song

In the theme song for the reality television show COPS, there is a line that sounds to me like:
“Not even your Eisenhower give you no break.”
What are they saying?

Well, the lyrics on [this page](http://www.metrolyrics.com/lyrics/41815/Inner_Circle/Bad_Boys_(Theme_From_) are:

My bolding.

“Idren” is a Jamaican term for “female friend”.
From here.

Actually, “idren” can mean male or female friend(s). In this context, it’s sort of the Jamaican equivalent of “homeys”.

Eisenhower???

I admit, though, it’s kind of a cool mental image…

Fact: Captioners often type what is misheard.
Fact: “Not even your Eisenhower give you no break.” is definitely misheard.
Fact: The closed caption of the COPS theme song is mis-captioned “idren naw”
Opinion: I hear “Eisenhower” as well, and confirm your truthful observation.

You are correct, “Not even your Eisenhower give you no break.” is the actual lyric.
Also consider the entire stanza. Enforcers such as para-military and military is the topic. Not friends and lovers. Disregarding the double negative “nah give ya nah break” the point is uniformed gangsters and other thugs in blue organized to legally carry and brandish firearms and other weapons such are dogs and batons, and coordinated by radio can not be depended on to cut perpetrators slack - “give you no break.” Police nor Soldier, not even Eisenhower as military commander or our U.S. president.

And that’s the straight dope, so get it Dwight, D.

Nope, that is an opinion too. :stuck_out_tongue:

Looking at other lyric places, virtually all agree on “Not even you idren naw give you no break”.

As the band that made the song is from Jamaica (No, it was not Bob Marley you clueless youtubers, but Inner Circle), the most simple explanation is that that line has its origins in the Rastafarian world of Jamaican patois, and indeed:

I just listened to it (several times actually) and it’s pretty clearly “not even your idren now give you no breaks”. I can’t get Eisenhower out of it.

zomg! the neighborhood is being overrun by Eisenhowers!

Nixon’s bound to be behind it, I tell you. :: shakes fist :: Damn you, Nixon!

Rastafarian Generals knows this is true.

But he always seemed so likeable…

Actually it’s “Not even Steve Yzerman will give you no break”. I am absolutely certain :slight_smile:

Mental image of Eisenhower in Crip colors, earrings, bandana on his head, & earrings.

Yikes.
:eek:

Now this makes sense visually. I picture a dreadlocks toting Yzerman bearing down on the ice towards a criminal, hockey stick up. He shoots, he scores! Justice served; the crowd goes wild!

You never know with some Presidents: http://img1.etsystatic.com/000/0/5317448/il_570xN.78182301.jpg

Those lyrics are still far more intelligible than what they were singing on All In The Family’s “Those Were The Days”.

Even when they re-recorded it and emphasized the last obscured line, you couldn’t tell what they were singing.

Hmm…I just listened to it now, and it sounds like “idren” (with an “eye” sound for the first syllable.) I don’t hear Eisenhower at all, although I can sort of see how somebody might hear that.

I find that EYE-dren NAH resembles EYE-zen-HOW-er, in the context of the song where it’s being somewhat muddied by being sung rather than spoken, in an unfamiliar accent, and with instruments in the mix. To someone who had no clue that idren even existed as a word, making it out as Eisenhower seems pretty reasonable to me.

Aside from that it makes no sense, of course.:wink: