Why Were the French Throne Heirs Called "Dauphin"?

The title basically says it all. I’ve searched the archives & Cecil’s past columns to no avail.

Back in the day, why was the heir-apparent to the French throne call “Dauphin” (The dolphin)?

Does this answer your question?

It’s just a word that happens to have two meanings. Dauphin with a capital D doesn’t mean “dolphin.” It means “heir-apparent.”

Just like “polish” means rubbing something to make it shiny but “Polish” is an adjective relating to Poland or Polish things. Or honey can mean the stuff you put in tea or it can be a name you call someone.

Dauphine is a region in southeastern France, which takes its name from its medieval lords whose surname was originally Dolphin or Dalphin. The name later became Daulphin, then Dauphin. The House of Valois acquired the Dauphine region in the 14th century in exchange for, among other things, a condition that the monarch’s eldest son would bear the name as a title.

Huh!

Thanks, everyone.

From Dictionary.com (thanks, JuanitaTech):

I guess now I’m curious about why Guigo, count of Vienne was given the name, but that may be a lost cause.

I’m speculating here, but the first Guigo who bore the epithet “dolphin,” Guigo V (b. ca. 1120 CE), probably got it about the same way that most surnames began: as a convenient way of distinguishing him or his family from others in the area. He and his family adopted the dolphin as their heraldic device, which may have turned a personal or family nickname into a permanent surname.

i believe it was also the model name of a Renault car back in the middle ages. Now I know where it got the name from.