Moving to america - pro's / con's

My SO’s father is a canadian currently living and working in kentucky. We were very taken with kentucky and after our last trip there to visit we started to think about the possibility of moving down, provided i can satisfy the working visa requirements. Are there any canadians out there that have undertaken something like this?

Well, I’m not a Canadian, but the job market is quite tight right now, so I would recommend staying in Canada for the time being. I’m not sure about visa requirements for Canadians, but I suspect that if you need one to live down here, you aren’t going to get it because of that. However, they may be less strict for our neighbors to the north, so maybe.

Work visas are based on the type of work you do, and whether there’s a shortage in that field. I’ve known a few Canadians who had work visas and were sponsored by their company; one was a salesguy whose company operated both in US and Canada, the other was a Social Worker who found a company to sponsor her.

Contact the US Consulate and find out what the requirements are and research companies in the area of Kentucky you want to live in. You could get lucky.

You referred to the person as your SO so you might want to find out what requirements there would be for you to move down here; as a non-working, non-student looking for an extended stay, there may be some issues.

[ul]Do you know anything about race horses or moonshine? :D[/ul]