I. Hate. Albertson's.

Every time I go to Albertson’s I leave upset. I mean Every. Single. Time. Nine times out of ten, it seems they don’t have adequate staffing. The remainder seems to be incompetent cashiers. Every blue moon they seem to converge in a display of such maddening inanity, that I just lose it. You want examples? Here you go.

A couple of months ago, my wife calls and asks me to pick something up for heartburn. As luck would have it, when she called I was less than a block from an Albertson’s. So I pull right in. Oh lucky day I think, as the store seems nearly deserted. Forty seconds later I’m heading for the checkout stand. My heart sinks. There are two cashiers open, in lane one, there’s a man and wife with a baby. They seem to have shopped for the month, as husband is pushing a loaded cart. Wife is bringing up the rear with her own cart and baby; in it she has WIC items. There are three or so customers behind her. That line is definitely out.

In lane two, we have a lady and daughter. Wow, they’ve also shopped for the month, or a party, lots of sugared items in that cart. There are two people behind her. I decide to be a very reluctant third. By reluctant I mean I sigh heavily, look impatient and telepathically send the message to please open another check stand to any store employees who venture too close. It doesn’t work. I tune out.

Something brings me back. I notice people shifting uncomfortably. There’s a conversation taking place at the check stand. I can’t believe my ears. The gist of the conversation is this: Apparently Albertson is offering a 10% discount when you purchase $200 or more. This key however is not functioning on the register. People are looking for calculators. The cashier who has done it long hand or guessed and has offered $15.00. The customer who has spent $326.80 is refusing it. That’s how I know what she spent. She repeating to anybody willing to listen that “I don’t know what 10% of $326.80 is, but it’s more than $15.00.

The cashier asks the other cashier to back her up. The other cashier is pretending to be deaf. The manager is approaching, the women in front of me is looking for a calculator. There’s a might roar. “For crying out loud it’s $32.68!!!” A hush falls across the store. Heads swivel as one to me. “Crap. Did I say that out loud?” Giggles. The manager gestures to me, opens a lane rings me up and says “Thanks for being so patient”, without a drip of sarcasm.

So anyway yesterday the temp dropped out of the 100s. So I decided to take my walk around the lake. It’s my day to cook, so on the way home I decide it’s be nice to get off the bus at Albertson’s to pick up some fish, I’ll walk from there I think, as I didn’t feel I got enough out of my walk. When I walked in I should have turned right around. Even though this is a different Albertson’s there are 2 lanes open, with lines stretching into the isles. I don’t because as I take this in one of the cashiers calls to someone on the loud speaker that they need two additional checkers.

Fine the line should be manageable. I pick up a basket grab some wine, and go to the meat department. The Sole looks good so I get 3 pounds, to produce where I get a head of lettuce some tomatoes and cucumbers. I go to checkout. WTF? There are still only two lanes but now there are about 15 people in each. Screw this. I sit my cart down, walk up to the check stand and grab the Weekly World News. I don’t have any taste so sue me. I take my place in line occasionally nudging my basket forward with my foot.

Someone clearing her throat interrupts my perusal of this fine periodical; it’s a representative of the store. Her function is unclear. Her message is not. “The management doesn’t want people reading the magazines unless they’re purchasing them.
Really I say. Well perhaps the management would like to open more checkout stands so I’d have something better to do than stare at the back of someone’s head for the next 20 minutes. Or perhaps they’d like to refund the next twenty minutes of my life that I’m going to spend waiting on line. “Fine I just work here”, and she huffs off.

Man I hate Albertson’s.

They really should put that ‘This Lane Reserved for Stuff’ line in a better place.

The markets where I shop do a really good job of hiding the ‘This Lane Reserved for JuanitaTech’ signs.

wasn’t there a couple people killed at albertsons this past weekend.
Disgruntled employee with a sword:eek:

Aren’t there any other stores around?

My favorite is my local Winn Dixie. They have 4 self checkout lanes. YAY!

They’re NEVER OPEN. BOO!!!

Rat bastards.

I live across the street from a supermarket, but in both the cases above Albertson’s happened to be the most *convenient *.

Peach I hadn’t heard that.

Ah, yes. Albertson’s. I visited their fine establishment a couple of weeks ago, and found myself about fifth in line. After a couple minutes I realized we were NOT moving - the customer at the front of the line had one bag of apples, and there was clearly something wrong with the apples. Wrong color, wrong size, who knows. She was discussing her dilemna with the cashier - and then the cashier ABANDONED the checkout lane to walk all the way across the store with the customer, in search of perfect apples. We all just stood here for one minutes, two minutes…finally, something went :snap: in my head and I said (loudly), “OK, what are we doing here? What are we waiting on?” Other cashiers threw me scared looks, managers started scurrying around. They did open another lane!
But I’m not going back there.

And here I was thinking I’d register with albertsons.com and do my shopping with them online.

I’m perhaps rethinking that. I can only imagine the hoops I might have to jump through…

http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/West/06/30/supermarket.killings.ap/index.html

it happened somewhere in California.
Those early morning shoppers were prob there early
to avoid long lines!! :eek: :eek:

I am happy to report that Albertsons left San Antonio for good last year. We ran them out of town on a rail.

Now there’s just a lot of ugly, Albertsons-shaped scars peppering the city.

Stuffy:

So you got one of those fancy calculator watches, too, huh?

It’s not unique to Oakland. The Albertsons on Mission in Daly City has also taken the “two checkstands at 6PM when everyone’s trying to pick up dinner fixin’s on the way home” bit to a high art.

And you actually managed to get something from the fish counter? I’m impressed. The one here appears to be decorative only as nobody’s ever there, and trying to get someone there is challenging.

I’m surprised it wasn’t a customer running amok with that sword.

This seems to be a recent innovation; before, there were often in excess of five cashiers at the tills.

As far price and selection, the Albertsons nearby me is pretty good. But they certainly need more cashiers, the checkout lines are too long. But, if they simply don’t have them, what are they going to do?

I try to go before 10am on weekends, the lines aint bad then. No sword guys either, yet.

Oddly enough, here in Tucson Albertson’s is the only supermarket that routinely staffs enough checkout counters. In fact, when I stopped by there today, I didn’t have to wait in line at all. Walked up, bought the stuff, and left.

I’m just here to compliment Stuffy on his choice of reading material. It takes true backbone to stand in line reading about the exploits of Bat Boy.

I have a choice between Stater Bros and Albertsons. Stater Bros always has excellent service and plenty of lines open. On the other hand, they have a smaller selectoin and higher prices than Albertsons.
I just can’t win.

Albertson’s is the anti-christ. It’s all about Raley’s.

That is all I have to say.

No way, Raley’s is too pricey. OTOH, they do stock my favorite soup, which Albertson’s does not.

Our Albertson’s is OK, except for the part where they turned half the lanes into 15-or-less checkouts. And those are often the only ones open. Gah.

From what I hear, Albertson’s has brought all this on its own head. When I lived in California, I heard a story from a cow-orker. A relative of hers had worked as a security guard at an Albertston’s for years and years, and was nearing his retirement and pension. Late one night, there was an armed robbery at the store when he was on duty. Although from all accounts the relative had performed admirably (nobody got hurt, the thief was apprehended a short while later), Albertson’s fired him shortly afterward for “failing to prevent the robbery.” He lost his pension.

When your bosses treat you that well, why bother working hard?

I said it once and I’ll say it every single time an Albertson’s or a Safeway thread comes up. You Texas people know what it is…

THANK GOD FOR H.E.B.