I. Hate. Albertson's.

Regarding that newspaper article… Jesus, a highlander fan run amuck? Too bizarre/disturbing to make a witty comment about. Yipes.

Albertson’s is one of the most marginal stores I have ever had the pleasure to quit shopping at. They have some significant problems with their operation. The enormous lines and lack of staffing just scratch the surface. I have also noticed:

1. Overall poor quality, especially in the meat department. Notice how there are rarely any marked down meats? That’s because they are taking them into the back and rewrapping them when they hit their due date.

2. Extremely bad track record with their sale items. They have consistently advertised “door-buster” prices for certain items and then casually neglected to overstock these products. When a store offers a significant discout on an item, it is common logic to assume there will be a big demand for it.

I have gotten rain checks on items only to return week after week and find the shelf is still unstocked. This is a slap in the face to the consumer. It is one specific reason I have ceased any regular shopping at their stores.

1. Their selection is mediocre at best. I find Safeway to be far better in both range of goods and service. Safeway has made giant strides in the last two decades to become a really professional food supplier. Any minor increase in cost is well justified by their superior quality, selection and service.
    Finally, have you noticed Albertson’s, “we’ll marinate it for you while you shop” program in the meat department? Did you notice how they weigh the meat after pumping in a quarter pound of the marinade? I noticed this practice and quietly mentioned to the butcher how that was some of the most expensive marinade money could buy. He grinned and freely admitted that the store made a huge profit on the sale of their cheap sauces.

The cost versus quality ratio of Albertson’s is unconvincing at best. Their incredibly crappy service is the last straw. They see me only for the rare special that I can’t resist. Otherwise, you’ll find me at Safeway and Foodmaxx.

I regularly shop at Albertson’s, mainly because it’s a couple blocks from my apartment, and haven’t had too many problems. The Albertson’s where that psycho started swinging at people is the next one over from here, actually.

I do miss Lucky’s though.

The Albertson’s in this town are notoriously crap. It’s not as much the service as the quality of the food. Vons is much, much better and it’s the only chain where we* shop.

Haj

“we” really means Mrs. H who does 95% of the shopping.

Zenster, in the Dallas area, Albertson’s draws us in with enticing “Buy one! get one free!” specials each week…which (even though I know better) pulls me into the store on occasion.
The reason they can sell their merchandise at a 50% discount, of course, is that they have zero overhead, as in no freaking cashiers!
I for one intend to stick with the local Kroger … despite the fact that yesterday two people died at the intersection in front of the store by my home. (Texas drivers, another time).

I used to shop Albertson’s all the time without difficultly, but have become more of a Ralph’s person. But on occasion, I do run over to Von’s–and know what I notice right away that is so different about that store than the other two? The employees. When they see me–when any of them see me–perusing the aisles, they smile, ask politely if I need any help with anything, and then tell me to have a great day.

It’s so sweet it’s almost creepy. But…I think it says something about the management when the employees are doing that, rather than huff about as they do in the other stores.

I used to shop at Albertson’s because they had the best prices around.

Then they came out with their “Preferred Shopper Card,” meaning if you don’t sign up, give them all sorts of personal details – even for a cash sale – you no longer get their best price! Without their PSC, I might as well go to Safeway and pay their always higher prices – now on par with Albertsons – and endure their rude service.

Now that WinCo opened a new store near by, and WalFart just expanded to a superstore, even Fred Meyers food prices have come down! I now play Freddys, WalFart and WinCo off of each other and get the best prices.

Albertsons has gone the way of Safeway in my book – higher prices, lousy customer service, and no longer have my business.

Whoa, whoa, whoa, bucky.

They did not take shit to high art. It is Cala Foods, specifically the one I work at, that has truly perfected it. I think we had about thirty people in one line the other day. (At least, no exaggeration. I would’ve kept counting, but I hid. Nothing I could’ve done to help.) Albertson’s may claim it, but, having had your ignorance fought, you can now inform them politely of the true pioneers.

Damn, I can’t wait to get out of that fucking place. Nice co-workers, but I swear the district manager has his head so far up, he can see out his own mouth.

I live close to the Albertson’s you speak of and they suck. I had never seen such long lines at a super market before.

Have you tried the new Albertson’s on Alemany near 280 and Daly City BART? It’s bigger, cleaner, and, for now, emptier.

On Preview: I forgot about Cala Foods. They suck too, but usually because their stores are so small.

I forgot to return the information form that accompanied my PSC. Dang.

[quote]
Then they came out with their “Preferred Shopper Card,” meaning if you don’t sign up, give them all sorts of personal details – even for a cash sale – you no longer get their best price! Without their PSC, I might as well go to Safeway and pay their always higher prices – now on par with Albertsons – and endure their rude service.[/quote

:dubious: I think that Albertsons has made it a point not to have the silly goddamned cards.

There’s nothing preventing you from giving totally bogus info on the applications to those PS cards… I did that for both Albertson’s and Winn Dixie.

Any store that carries Krispy Kremes cannot be all bad.

[QUOTE]
*Originally posted by pepperlandgirl *

[quote]
Then they came out with their “Preferred Shopper Card,” meaning if you don’t sign up, give them all sorts of personal details – even for a cash sale – you no longer get their best price! Without their PSC, I might as well go to Safeway and pay their always higher prices – now on par with Albertsons – and endure their rude service.
[/quote

:dubious: I think that Albertsons has made it a point not to have the silly goddamned cards. **[/QUOTE]

Not anymore. The bastards started the stupid card program about a year and a half ago here. I know, because that’s when I stopped shopping there. Now I endure the hell that is the WalMart Supercenter, because I still hate the cards more than I hate WalMart.

There used to be a Cala Foods about 10 blocks from my house. They closed the place due to high theft. Teh employees were robbing the place blind.

Like I mentioned there is a Shoprite supermarket near me that I do most of my shopping at unless I need specialty items. I’ve checked several times, and I generally save 20-30 dollars vs Safeway and Albertson’s.

They introduced the PSC card here a some time ago. I almost never shop at Albertson’s, though, preferring Publix–it’s cleaner and in general has a better ambience than Albertson’s.

A couple of weeks ago, I went to Albertson’s for the first time in probably a year or more. It was late Saturday night, the Public was already closed, and Albertson’s was the only place open for snacks.

So I see all these great signs advertising these wonderful specials–a 12-pack of Coke for only $2.00! So I load up on a few of these “sale” items, thinking, “hell, that’s cheaper than Publix.”

It’s not until I checking out that I learn they’re only on sale if you have the card.

I swore then that I’ll never go into Albertson’s again. I know it’s a silly thing to be vindictive about, but I felt deceived and didn’t like that feeling.

I usually shop at Kash and Karry or Publix. I went to Winn Dixie once.

Once.

I asked the cashier if I could write the check for over the amount, and she said yes. So I wrote the check for $20 over the amount, and got back $19.50. When I asked about it, the cashier said there was a 50 cent charge for over checks.

She did not tell me about it when I asked her. Now, I have done the same thing at Publix and K&K with no fee charged.

Last time I will ever go to Winn Dixie. Plus, I have never found a store that wasn’t filthy.

Every time I get to the register they ask me if I have a card. Every time I say “No, and I don’t want one thank you.” And every time, the cashier has used a card for me.

Hell, I’m on my third Kroger card. I filled out stuff the first time, but as I lose my cards, they just hand me a new sheet of cards/keytag thingies.

I have to chime in for the other side here. Albertsons is the place we prefer to buy our groceries in Bellevue-they have good produce, their meat seems very fresh and they offer the best prices.
If its just their in-store customer service you’re against, scout1222, I’d have to recommend their online shopping. It’s only a $9.95 fee to deliver everything you order, they bring it right in the kitchen and they absolutely refuse to take a tip. I found their site to be very easy to shop in, and when you’re working alot of overtime or recouperating from surgery, theyre’s nothing more convienient than having a full weeks’ groceries delivered for just $10. Plus they start throwing in freebies after a while! Woo-hoo!