Do you see colors when you close your eyes, too?

Now, first off… I am NOT a drug user, I do not “booze it up”, I do not smoke or toke. When I am very tired, sometimes I see a very dim, neon green ring of color in my mind when I close my eyes. It seems to be moving away from me and it’s continuous (it seems to vanish only to have another follow it away).

I can also make myself see little bright red glowing dots that I can make spin or get closer, ocassionally I can change the color to green or cyan. I also see (this is rare) the black and dim orange stripes of a tiger walking across my vision (eyes closed so it’s dark), just the stripes in a cat shape.
… :dubious:

Yes, I know how this must be sounding to you, the reader. Again, I assure you… I do NOT take drugs. Perhaps my parents partook while I was merely a twinkle in daddy’s eye but they assure me, they have not. Now, I beg you, the reader, to reveal as I have, whether or not you have ever had this experience or one very similar. No, I do NOT take drugs or any medications whatsoever!

Am I the only one??

The red to green dots have happened to me, but they don’t seem to care if my eyes are opened or closed, and I have no control over the color change.

Me + Buckleberry = Yay! I’m NOT alone!

I was thinking the same thing as I read your post–I think I may have told my mother about those little dots, and she thought I was out of my tree.

::bounces::

I think everyone is able to see them, but maybe not everyone would necessarily notice them. The dots, lights, stripes and zig-zags are called Phosphenes. You can see them if you press on your eyeballs, or sit in the dark with your eyes closed.

They can be induced by drug use, too. I’m not sure if they’d technically be called an hallucination in that case.

I think I read somewhere that some Aboriginal art is based on phosphenes that they saw in their so-called trance states.

I see weird stuff… not imagining it, actually SEEING it.
I saw a skull, and lightning (which was probably the veins in my eyes) and colors, spots, everything…

But then, I probably am just crazy.

I see the EXACT same thing. The green rings and the red dots. I get pulsating balls of purple too…And here I thought I was crazy. Hooray! So this phosphenes thing. Elaborate. What are they/what are they caused by? HOW COULD SOMEONE NOT NOTICE THEM?!

I “see” things too some times, but only in black or white. They look the most like shadow puppets (real ones, not the ones you make with your fingers in front of a light) but I can’t usually decide what they look like before they’re gone.

I have the green ring RahRahMah and Spider get as well, (a couple of times it’s had a flashing checkered center) and I’ve also seen Topaz’s lightening. I’ve had various colored dots as well.

Ever since I was a kid, If I rubbed my eyes, I could “see” a rainbow colored orb rotating at the same manner as my hand in the corner of my field of vision (even though my eyes were closed, if that makes sense). When I was younger, I remember it being green sometimes and red other times.

I also seem to remember being very young, and seeing lots of geomentric patterns when I’d close my eyes on car rides when the sun was very bright. The memory’s very dim, but I can vaguely recall closing my eyes and seeing really interesting shapes flashing (sort of like quilts, or Navaho art) in bright reds and browns. I’ve never been able to figure that out.

It’s interesting that some of us share the same ones, though.

Couple quick searches produced this:

Here’s a definition from an online medical dictionary.

Here’s something from what looks like an artist’s page. This sort of resembles some Aboriginal artwork I’ve seen, in a way. Looks like this person sees skull-type images too.

I’ve also seen the zig-zags appear as a precursor to migraines. These ones cause a sort of temporary blind-spot phenomenon when I have my eyes open. Some kind of brain activity stimulating the retina, I imagine. With eyes closed, they are vivid, pastel-coloured zig-zags.

I’ve seen them all my life, but my husband says he doesn’t see them. I think he could, but perhaps he just falls asleep too fast. That’s what I mean by not noticing them.

Damn–and I thought I was the only one who saw actual OBJECTS. When I was a kid, I swear, I was able to see Spider-Man swinging in front of my face.

Yes, I do. And it’s very very fun. Sometimes I sit in a dark room and just watch the light show.

…why yes, it is 9:30 on Saturday night.

I see them too. Usually a green field, with sort of a crackled appearance.

It’s also what I see when I get one of the dreaded “auras” that accompany migraines. That’s when I know it’s gonna be a really bad one.

Yup, I see them too. And if I’m really tired, I’ll start seeing full images. It can become quite hallucinogenic, actually.

I see them as well…, but I do “booze it up” and “toke,” in addition to some other things so…

Most of what I see is mainly geometric in nature, with purple and green seeming to be chromatic “opposites.” That is to say I see purple in dim lighting, and green in brighter lighting, with them being complements depedning on texture and distance.

I would think everyone gets some of these types of “visions,” it’s why religion developed. So we could see visions through the hallucinogenic effects of substances like soma. At least that’s what Terence McKenna advocates in his book Food of the Gods. Who knows, maybe others are just deluding themselves into thinking that they don’t see them :wink:

I compare what I see when I close my eyes to a black and gray lava lamp. I do not see colors. Occasionally, as the black and the gray “float” around I see objects that I can distinctly make out, such as, faces or houses, or animals. I compare it to someone seeing objects when looking at the clouds.

When I was a teenager and suffered from peti mal seizures, I thought my “lava lamp” was a symptom. No one that I spoke to knew what the hell I was talking about and thought I was nuts.
I realize now that I am nuts. Macadamia, to be exact.

All the time. I always see blue an yellow lines when I close my eyes. Want to see a lot of colors, close your eyes and look directly at the sun for a few secs and then turn away.

I can see colors too. Usually they are neon blues, greens, orange or pink. I’ve never done drugs, or been drunk in my life, either.

YAY for us all!! I don’t ever press my eyes in though, I just see this stuff when I’m really tired. The tiger shaped thing happens during the daytime though. I also used to make these little whirling spirals appear in my vision when I’d wake up too early to get out of bed to play (couldn’t bug the parents yet on those weekend mornings kind of deal). I could make the spirals big or small…

(remembers more weird eye stuff now that she’s really delving)

I could make a scene in my head, dim with my eyes being closed, of a pumpin patch. It would start with those red glowing dots and they’d get closer and I’d see a pumpkin patch with a fence and a little hill…

Am I nutty now? Are you scared of me now? Why are you backing away like that… ? Hey! Stop running from meeeeeeeee! I didn’t tell you about the green fern-like plants with curling tendrils I could also see on the rarest occasions. HEY, come back!!

If I press on my eyes, the patterns spin faster, or change direction/color.