Why do panties have cotton crotches?

Why do girl’s and women’s panties have cotton crotches? If cotton is needed for breathability, isn’t a layer of nylon right below the cotton going to ruin any breathability? And why do cotton panties still have an extra cotton layer in the crotch?

To soak up stuff.

What The Griffin said, and I don’t wear underwear that has nylon over the cotton part except for special occasions. I don’t want to encourage anything horrible to start growing up there.

Could you be more descriptive?

wipes the sweat from his forehead as he leans closer to the screen

:stuck_out_tongue:

Well, there’s the times when your pad slips and your undies get bloody…

Not to mention all the non-bloody days when you have the normal juicy secretions which normally colorless but snot-like

Women are advised to wear cotton or cotton lined panties to discourage yeast infections. Yeast infections are NASTY.

From http://www.yeastinfectionresource.com/yeast/faq.asp

Don’t forget the white cottage-cheese kind of stuff that dries solid!

Is that descriptive enough for you, Astroboy?

T…
M…
I…
!

InternetLegend, oh god why did you say that?! Holy crap - I mean, damn…

I’m not a fan of cottage cheese.

Sorry, Sock Munkey, but he asked.

I’m not the only one who gets the cottage-cheese kind of stuff? Phew! :smiley:

Are you serious?

Could you really not know the answer to your own question? You don’t know what goes on down there and that cotton is very absorbant?

Kiddies, It’s because cotton “breathes” while synthetic fabrics don’t. Air circulation keeps the area dryer, discouraging fungal and bacterial growth. Bacteria causes foul odors, fungus cause itching, burning & swelling, and IS contagious.

:eek: Whoa… What?

As I mentioned the very first time, the claim is that this is for breathability. This was reiterated by Lynn Bodoni and picunurse. (Granted their’s something to be said for absorbability. But, I’ve never heard that to be a health claim.)

However, a Google search of “site:www.yeastinfectionresource.com cotton” yeilds no results.

And, my original question still has not been answered:
How does a layer of cotton on top of a layer of nylon provide more breathability than just the layer of nylon?

The cotton acts as a whick.

It absorbs any moisture and also helps the area breathe by keeping it dry. Nylon would not absorb and the moisture would just get pushed around, not removed.

Nylon is the support material and the cotton is the helper material.

So you’re saying that the cotton wicks moisture from the top of the cotton layer to the bottom of the cotton layer, where it can evaporate through the nylon membrane?

Or are you just saying that the cotton acts as a storage reservoir (like a pad), so that the moisture doesn’t leak out and/or sit in a soggy puddle (instead of an only slightly soggy layer of cotton) atop the bare nylon?

Sigh. There need to be scientific studies done …

Ahhhh panties . . .

Man’s greatest creation. I would like to express my true love for fashion’s most becoming compliment to the female form . . .

Ahhhhh . . . panties . . .

toadspittle-

Yes.