Rock n Roll Greats

Lot of threads/posts about music/albums/etc. lately. Lets cut to the chase. In the genre of Rock n Roll only who or what is…

1. The Greatest Band Ever
  2. The Greatest Album Ever (original material only. No Best of, Greatest Hits, Etc.)
  3. The Greatest Song Ever
  4. The Greatest Guitarist Ever (Since Rock n Roll revolves around this instrument so much)

My answers:

1. The Allman Brothers Band
  2. Eat A Peach by The Allman Brothers
  3. Undecided (Just too many to choose from)
  4. Eric Clapton

Let the Games(and or Flames)begin.

First of all, Boucanier, you’re obviously old and retarded :), secondly this is a preposterous debate.

1. Cathedral
  2. Toss up between Forest of Equilibrium & The Ethereal Mirror.
  3. Dependent upon mood
  4. Gary Jennings, Jimmy Page or Tony Iomi

Yet to be reconciled with the reality of the dark for a moment, I go on wandering from dream to dream.

Doesn’t seem like a great debate, but I’ll play.
Band: The Ramones
Album: Dawn of the Dickies
Song: Miserlou
Guitarist: The Reverend Horton Heat

At least, thats how it seems to me.

1. The Greatest Band Ever - The Beatles. Not only for their music, but for their influence on all of rock music.
  2. The Greatest Album Ever (original material only. No Best of, Greatest Hits, Etc.) - The Clash, London Calling.
  3. The Greatest Song Ever - Too difficult.
  4. The Greatest Guitarist Ever (Since Rock n Roll revolves around this instrument so much) - How can one disagree with Jimi Hendrix?

Greatest in what sense?

Made the greatest amount of money or had the greatest influence?

I tend to favor influence over commercial success, though sometimes these overlap. Here’s my picks:

1. Alice Cooper (before Alice, music was just something you listened to)
  2. Abbey Road
  3. Bohemian Rhapsody (this is a tough one, there’s so many to choose from)
  4. Duh… Hendrix
    NOTE: I had the Beatles as a close second for most influential (greatest) band and “Dark Side Of The Moon” as a close second for most influential (greatest) album.

Once, years ago, I got into an argument with a guy who thought that the Smashing Pumpkins were the greatest band ever. He said his claims were based on talent. My response: if the talent of the individual members is the main criterion, then the Traveling Wilburys is the greatest band of all time.

Album? Close call. In my mind, there are five – Kiss: Destroyer, Pink Floyd: Dark Side Of The Moon AND The Wall, Beatles: Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band, and Blondie: Parallel Lines. Dispute that last if you will, but Blondie was a major revolution, a band with a female lead that wasn’t a ‘girl band.’

Song? Like I could choose…

Guitarist. Oy. Too many. Jimi Hendrix, Randy Rhodes, Steve Vai, Eddie Van Halen, Joe Satriani, Yngwie J. Malmsteen, Jeff Beck, Stevie Ray Vaughn…if you hadn’t placed the ‘rock’ restriction, I’d say the best living guitarist is Adrian Legg.

Ok, I’m in.

Greatest Band: The Stones
Greatest Solo Artist: Bob Dylan
Greatest Album: Blonde on Blonde, Exile on Main Street, London Calling
Greatest Song: Tough one. How about “Brown-Eyed Girl”, “California Dreamin’”, “Search and Destroy”, “Heroin”, “Once in a Lifetime”, “Smells like Teen Spirit”, “Tumbling Dice”, “Like a Hurricane”, “All the Young Dudes”, and “Waterloo Sunset” for a mix-and-match? And, yes, I know I left out a lot of great ones.
Greatest Guitarist: Keith Richards, Chuck Berry, whoever the guy was on all those old Motown songs (and I guarantee you it was the same guy).

I can give an answer to all those questions, but would my answers be the same as the were 5 years ago? 10 years ago? 20 years ago? No… and in many cases, it’s not that my tastes have changed, it’s just that I got tired of hearing certain songs. I mean, for a long time, “Who’s Next” was my #1 album of all time. Today, I’m rather bored with it, mainly because AOR radio played “Won’t Get Fooled Again” and “Baba O’Riley” to death! Is that Pete Townshend’s fault? No, and it’s probably unfair of me to drop a brilliant album from the top spot just because it’s been overplayed… still, I ENVY any kid hearing “Who’s Next” for the very first time.

Best band of all time: The Beatles, easily.

Best Album: My favorite album changes regularly… currently, it’s “Making Movies” by Dire Straits (but it has been “Who’s Next,” “Revolver” by the Beatles, “Disraeli Gears” by Cream, “Back in Black” by AC/DC, “The Notorious Byrd Brothers,” and the utterly magnificent “The Kinks Are The Village Green Preservation Society”).

Best Guitarist: Tough call… I’ll nominate David Gilmour of Pink Floyd. However, it’s worth asking: George Harrison was no virtuoso on guitar and neither was Keith Richards or Dave Davies. But would the BEatles, Stones or Kinks have been any better with David Gilmour (or Eddie Van Halen or Robert Fripp or Jimi Hendrix) on guitar? No. So, don’t judge these things in a vacuum.

Oh, what the heck. Not that I think this is actually a debate, or anything.

Greatest band: The Beatles (duh).

Greatest album: The Velvet Underground and Nico. (Runners-up: Van Morrison’s Astral Weeks, the Byrds’ Sweetheart of the Rodeo, and of course the White Album.)

Greatest song: “Like a Rolling Stone.”

Greatest guitarist: Hendrix (duh, again).

I kinda dislike having to pick ONE artist/album/song that I think is THE BEST, so I’ll pick five for each, in no particular order:
Band: The Band; The Rolling Stones; The Beatles; Led Zepplin; the Grateful Dead.
Solo Artist: Dylan; Clapton; Hendrix; Joplin; BB King.
Album: Houses of the Holy; Blood on the Tracks; The Last Waltz (if live performance recordings count…I think they should); Derek and the Dominoes; Highway 61 Revisited.
Song: Stairway to Heaven; Like a Rolling Stone; Tangled Up in Blue; The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down; Lover, You Should’ve Come Over.
Guitarist: Hendrix, Clapton, King, Robertson, Garcia.

“History will be kind to me, for I intend to write it.” -Winston Churchill

Jimi Fuckin’ Hendrix

There’s always another beer.

Greatest band: Beatles. You can argue about who is in second place, but there is no argument about who is in first (with record sales now into the billions).

Greatest guitarist: Jimi Hendrix. Again, no question. If you have another answer, then you weren’t lucky enough to see him.

Eric Clapton has told about when he met Hendrix. He said he, Pete Townshend, Jeff Beck, and Jimmy Page were sitting around jamming when this unknown guy asked if he could sit in. Before long, the collected greatest guitarists of rock and roll had to just sit down and watch.

I have seen all of them, and none was close to Hendrix. All of them were great, but none were close to Hendrix. Jimi played with two hands, with one hand, with one hand behind his back, between his lags, behind his head, with his teeth, with his elbow, and every way you can imagine, and never missed a note. You could watch him do it and you still couldn’t believe it. He was a guitarist of another scale, entirely.

World’s Largest Online Library of Drug Policy - http://www.druglibrary.org

Band: The Beatles
Album: probably Revolver
Song: Hard to say, because there are so many great songs, but I think You Really Got Me by the Kinks is the closest thing there is to pure distilled essence of rock’n’roll, so that will be my pick.
Guitarist: Hendrix of course.

Greatest Album:
Using its influence on rock and roll as a criteria, the greatest would be Sergeant Pepper by the Beatles. It has had more impact on the direction of rock and roll than any single album before or since.

For those of you who may be too young to remember, here is what happened, in a nutshell. In 1963, the Number One hit was Sugar Shack by Jimmy Gilmer and the Fireballs. By 1968, Jimi Hendrix was playing Purple Haze. The Beatles were responsible for much of that change, and Sergeant Pepper specifically put the world on notice that rock and roll wasn’t the same anymore.

Ok,
Band: Probably Van Halen (part 1. no hagar, no extreme). The Ramones are up there too.
Album: Tough question. Either Van Halen/1984, (on the heavier side) Anthrax/Among the Living, or Suicidal Tendencies/How Will I Laugh Tomorrow When I Can’t Even Smile Today?
Song: Also really tough. People Who Died (the Jim Carroll Band)? Bohemian Rhapsody? Paradise City (Guns ‘n’ Roses)? Maybe one of those.
Guitarist: Finally, an easy one. Ted Nugent. The guy is amazing.

There are no dangerous weapons,
Only dangerous men.

Joe Cool

Oh yeah. I forgot my whole reason for posting on this thread:

The session guitarist. You might (?) be thinking of Steve Cropper? He wrote “Green Onions” and played on that record (Booker T. & the MG’s) and about a hundred other songs from various people.

He was also the lead guitarist in the Blues Brothers.

There are no dangerous weapons,
Only dangerous men.

Joe Cool

Just to get the argument going:

Van Halen never had the impact on rock and roll that the Beatles did. Nobody ever dominated the charts, sold more records, or had more influence on the rest of rock and roll than the Beatles did. There was a time when the rock and roll world waited for the next Beatle album to see what rock and roll would be like.

When the white album came out, I remember one record store that had them in piles in the front window on the day they were released to the public. The piles completely covered the entire window, from top to bottom. There were literally thousands. I went by the next day and the piles were just about gone. That sort of thing has never happened for any other group.

As for the guitarist, I have seen Ted Nugent and Hendrix. I would call Nugent “interesting”. Hendrix was “amazing”. I don’t think Nugent himself would put himself in the same league as Hendrix. I am certain that Eric Clapton, Jimmy Page, and a long list of other greats wouldn’t think they were the equal of Hendrix.

Alright, since CliffSchaffer struck the first real blow, now it’s time to mix it up…

Gotta agree with Cliff on the relative influence of Van Halen. True, Eddie has probably done more to give guitarist a kick in the pants than anyone since Hendrix, the overall influence of the band is questionable and cannot be compared to the likes of the Beatles. As I said previously, if were just the musical contribution, I would have picked the Beatles myself, however I’m looking at the big picture. That’s why I voted for Alice Cooper. I know most of you probably dismissed this rather quickly, but think about it…

Before Alice, this was how people used to describe a good concert: “Well, the band came on. They stood around playing their instruments for a while. A couple of them sang a bit, then Pete smashed his guitar. Man, it was a great show!” I saw Alice on the Billion Dollar Babies tour - it was my first concert. There were theatrics, stabbing baby dolls, a beheading, dancing toothbrush - all tied to the individual themes of the songs and tied to the central theme of maniacal horror. The lyrics were witty and fully of self mocking irony and, BTW, the music was pretty damned good! I saw a couple of concerts after that, including the Boss who was supposed to have a great show… Ordinary rock shows paled in comparison. I’ve heard many musicians credit Alice with having a huge influence in their musical careers. Alice taught the world that the show is more than simply music and he taught the music industry that the music can tell a story. “Welcome To My Nightmare” is often held to be the first, and by many accounts, the best concept album ever recorded.

Of course, Cliff’s point was with respect to record sales. Yep, the Beatles were much more commercially acceptable than Alice.
Ted Nugent? He did have a cool guitar, but as a player, I would rank him as only mediocre and he has had virtually zero influence on the music industry. His main contribution was over-the-top, “gonzo” attitude and loudness. I saw Ted in concert a couple of times and I have to say that you have to be a masochist to listen to Nugent live more than twice in a lifetime… I thought my ears were gonna start bleeding!

I gave Hendrix the nod, from an influence standpoint. Now Hendrix did not have the technical skills of a Steve Vai, Eric Johnson or Stanley Jordan, so I wouldn’t call him the greatest from a technical standpoint. But without Jimi, these other guys would probably be pumping gas at the local Texaco.
astorian wrote:

Good pick. Gilmour is way up there on my list. A frind of mine once pointed out, back in the hey day of “The Wall”, how you could hear people on the street singing the lead guitar part of “Comfortably Numb”. There’s not many guitar leads that inspire that kind of behavior. David Gilmour is one of the most lyrical guitarists around, but I don’t think he’s had more influnce on music than Jimi Hendrix.

Band: Ramones
Album: haven’t heard enough to say
Song: Ice Ice Baby(I know you think I’m kidding)
Guitarist: Hendrix, of course

Donuts, and the promise of more donuts to come-Homer Simpson.

When I think of “greatness” I think of a mythic, larger than life, quality. It’s not just a matter of technical ability, or market share. Michael Jackson and Garth Brooks are certainly very popular, but do they have the touch of enduring greatness? I don’t think that’s established yet, perhaps never.

Rock ‘n’ Roll is energy. When the beat hits your soul, your mind is captured, duct-taped and dumped in the storeroom, your groin gets hot and your body starts dancing of its own accord, well that’s Rock.

If we’re going to talk about Rock ‘n’ Roll greatness, we must start with The King. Elvis is not the greatest anything of Rock, he is Rock. Every other performer can only aspire to and sometimes achieve greatness; Elvis came as the close to godhood as any mortal may.

Then there’s The Beatles. While they certainly acheived greatness, I maintain they achieved it as themselves, not as exemplars of the Rock ‘n’ Roll genre. They never had the raw visceral energy that characterizes true Rock ‘n’ Roll. I maintain there never was a single Beatles song that truly Rocked.

The same goes for bands like Pink Floyd and the Grateful Dead. Definitely greats in world of music, but they derived from Rock, they never exemplified it.

No, the band that truly captured and defined Rock ‘n’ Roll must always be The Rolling Stones.

And there’s no doubt that Jimi Hendrix defined the Rock ‘n’ Roll guitar. There are others who perhaps surpassed him in technique, but no one comes close to him in energy, power, and raw creativity.

I believe there can never be a truly great Rock ‘n’ Roll album or song. Rock is not about the music itself, but using the music to release your animal soul from the bond of the mind. Just as there can be no true Jazz recording, since if it’s played the same way twice, it ain’t Jazz, there can be no true Rock recording. Any recording is a pale imitation of the real stuff, which you have to experience live.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn’t go away”. - Phillip K. Dick