What's a Pack of Two-Four (McKenzie Bros 12 Days of Christmas)

[quote]

On the sixth day of Christmas, my true love gave to me
Six packs of two-four
Five golden tuques!
Four pounds of backbacon
Three french toast
Two turtlenecks
And a beer
[/qoute]

I know what a tuque is.

Backbacon, I assume, is what Americans call “bacon.”

But WTF is a pack of two-four?

Pack of 24 beer, of course, though that’s not really conventional usage. But hey, it’s a song. Poetic license and all that.

Actually, I think “backbacon” is something different from normal bacon. I’m Canadian, and I’ve never seen or eaten anything referred to as “backbacon.” We just eat bacon. Isn’t backbacon like fried ham or something?

I believe they are saying “Tuborg” as in Tuborg Gold Beer.

Also, “Backbacon” is Canadien Bacon, as can be found on a McDonalds Bacon Egg McMufffin. I think its thinly sliced fried ham.

Chris W

It is Tuborg, BTW.

Really?

Down here in the States, Tuborg is a farily pricey imported beer. I kind of envision Bob and Doug as preferring something a bit more blue-collar, something that lets your beer dollar go a little farther (an imporant consideration when your beer dollar is Canadian ;)), sort of a Great White Northern version of Milwaukee’s Best.

I was also pretty certain I heard an “F” sound in the middle of that gift. But, while I can appreciate that it miight be “Two-Four,” as in 2.4 percent alcohol beer, that doesn’t strike me as something that the boys would put into their mouths.

I’m still up in the air about this one. Can you please provide a cite, Rex Fenestrarum?

• Five golden tuques!*

A tuque is a cool woolen-type cap with a tail (sorta like night-caps?). Pom-pom/tassels optional.

In New York we spell 'em ‘Tooks’. :wink:

Back bacon.

The hosers drinking Tuborg? I’ve always heard it as “2-4”. As mentioned, a “2-4” is common slang, at least in Ontario, for a case of 24 beers. Might not be so common in Western Canada where they seem, at least in my observation, to go more for cases of 12.

Ahem.

:Pops in Strange Brew DVD with subtitles enabled.:

Scene at the beer store where the boys try to get free beer by saying they found a mouse in a bottle:

Clerk: Twenty-four Elsinore that’ll be $14.70

Doug: I believe there’ll be no charge on this two-four of beer, thank you.
That is all.
No, wait…Take off, eh?:wink:

2-4 is very common in the Maritimes as well.

I’ve always wanted a beer in a tree. No one ever got me one yet.

On the other hand, a 2-4, which, as has been mentioned is a case of 24, is definitely something the boys would put into their mouths.

As a side note, the Victoria Day long weekend is usually referred to as May 2-4 around here - as it falls around the 24th, and going through at LEAST one 2-4 is a common passtime on that weekend.

I’m gonna chime in to say that 2-4 is, around here, a case of 24 beer (a case of 12 beer is just called a “case”).

So “six packs of two-four” (as per the song) is 144 bottles of beer? Cool.

I live in Ontario and the expression “2-4” is in common usage here.

I have bought many a two-four in British Columbia, also.

145, if you count the one on the tree.

Or, as Bob and Doug would call it, the weekend.

Tuborg Gold was introduced in this part of Arizona in the late 1970s. I remember the slogan at that time was, “For the price of the king of beers, you can have the beer of kings.”