How bad can one's vision be without being 100% blind?

normal vision = 20/20 and legally blind = 20/200 or worse.
so, what does blind equal? or, if there’s not a measurement in terms of 20/20 for being blind, what’s the worst vision one can have before they are considered 100% blind?

If you can distinguish light and/or movement, you are not 100% blind. There is no sharp dividing line between being legally blind and being totally or 100% blind. My friend who is 100% blind has to ask me whether the lights are on or off. Presumably, you could be able to barely distinguish light and shadow (seeing only the faintest distinctions between shades of gray and black) and still not be 100% blind. Generally, someone whose vision is not correctable beyond 20/200 is considered blind, and further distinctions are only made on the basis of the individual’s specific needs and abilities.

i have 20/100 vision in my left eye and 20/400 in my right and nystagmus which makes my eyes move back and forth involuntarily sometimes, making it even worse. so, i guess a better question would be what is the record for bad vision in terms of 20/20? the reason i’m asking is i want to figure out what fraction of blind i am. kinda dumb, but i’m bored.

Unless I’m going deaf as well, the last time I asked my eye doctor my uncorrected vision, she told me it was about 5/600. What normal people can see clearly at 600 feet I have to be 5 feet away to see. However, corrected (with contacts or glasses) I have 20/20 vision.

As a side note, in doing my taxes I always come across the question of being legally blind. Can I get a tax break for bad vision?

Nevermind about that side note. I see that legally blind is 20/200 corrected vision. So I’ll do my best to help answer the question.

And according to the Braille Institute, 90 percent of people who are legally blind have some remaining vision.

http://www.brailleinstitute.org/Education-Statistics.html

My vision without an aid, is 20/600. However, with glasses, it’s 20/20

Oh, about 99.9999999% blind oughta do it.

There was a thread which I can’t seem to locate in which people tried to lay claim to the title of Doper with the Worst Vision. There were numerous people who had vision worse than 20/1000. My recollection is that beyond that level, poor vision is measured in diopters rather than the 20/20 scale. I am about 20/400 in one eye and 20/800 in the other, but correctable to 20/15, and therefore not legally blind. Among people with vision problems, you are really not very blind at all, gypsymoth3.