traditional way to serve absynthe

i have read two similar ways. the first is to pour 1 1/2 ounces of liquor in glass lay a slotted(absynthe spoon) on the glass with a sugar cube resting on the spoon and pour an other 1 1/2 ounces of cold water over the sugar to dissolve then stir with the spoon until the liquor turns emereld green. second technique is to do pretty much the same except you place the sugar cube in the liquor for 10 seconds then place on the spoon and ignite and let burn when finished burning pour water over the sugar and stir and serve so how should i do it?

The Czechs that I’ve been with who actually bother with the tradition have always used the second method. However, I don’t recall them actually mixing in the water. It was take a teaspoon of sugar or a sugar cube and tilt it into the absinthe, so the sugar soaks up the liquor. Then, set the teaspoon of sugar aflame. When the flame completely dies out, slop the sugar into the absinthe, stir, and drink.

Whenever we partake we use pulykamell’s method. It seems to work ok!!

This topic is in that legal grey area that we’d rather not allow on these boards.

Please check with a moderator before posting similar questions in the future.

This is closed.

-xash
General Questions Moderator