Is There a Nickname for "Miranda"?

Just wondering: Is there a nickname for the girl’s name, Miranda? Maybe Miri, perhaps? Any others? - Jinx

Mir, Mimi, Randa, Randy, Rand?

Not sure about her nickname, but I hear she is a right card… :wink:

I’m pretty much with Otto – Mimi or Randi would seem like the most naturally-occuring nicknames for Miranda.

Many woman named Miranda go by Mandy.

“Banana head lady”
“You” as in “You have the right to remain silent”

Mira. (as in Mira Sorvino)

At least, that’s what I’d call her.

IIRC, in Northern Exqosure , the old guy who runs the bar and his young wife have a baby. They name her Miranda, and call her Randy.

I call her Snookums.

My first thought was “Mandy.”

Warning Huge Hijack here:
Is Laura short for Kathy?

I thought of several while the thread loaded, but the only one not yet mentioned is Manda.

I used to be roommates with a Miranda who went by Randie.

Spike Jones and his City Slickers had a hit called Pass the Biscuits, Mirandy. In the 50s and 60s it was used as a good luck song for the St. Louis Cardinals baseball team, and was played on the radio a lot during Pennant season.

Of course nicknames are usually shorter than formal names, and “Mirandy” isn’t shorter than “Miranda”; it calls to mind how Gracie Allen used to say that her real name was Grace but she was called Gracie for short.

I wouldn’t think so. I have known a few Laura’s and that was their given name. Kathy is short for Katherine. Nicknames generally contain more than one letter of the original name. The only Katherine (with a K) I know goes by Kate for a nickname. And my SIL Cathy is not a Catherine, just Cathy.

Miranda could also be Mindy, although that one’s more often used for “Melinda”.

Laura is simply Laura, so far as I know. Kathy can also be short for Kathleen. I’ve usually seen Cathy for Catherine, and Kathy for Kathleen, but either of those names can also be spelled with a “C” or “K.” As for nicknames generally containing more than one letter of the original name, there’s always exceptions. How 'bout Peggy for Margaret for starters?

Mimi
Miri
Mira
Andy
Randy
Anda
Randa
Ranny

A friend of mine whose name is Miranda goes by Maya.
I think she mentioned that that’s how it’s done in Russia (though she’s American).

My friend’s fiancee goes by Mundy, or just Mund. That may be particular to her, though. Peculiar pair, those two.