Hi-Ho Silver, Or Hi-Yo?

In his syndicated column of 4-30-00, humorist Dave Barry ruminated on whether the Lone Ranger’s call to action was pronounced “Hi-Ho Silver” or “Hi-Yo Silver” (http://www.herald.com/content/archive/living/barry/1999/docs/april30.htm). Barry’s not-so-rigorous research efforts were basically limited to asking the opinion of his author-friends like Bill Safire and Amy Tan, and no satisfying answer emerged.

Personally, I thought this was a silly premise for a column, since I have a pretty good memory of the Lone Ranger saying “Hi-Ho.” But when I checked out a bunch of Lone Ranger websites, darned if they don’t all spell it “Hi-Yo!”

So my question is: Why would I possibly remember Clayton Moore (et al) as saying “Hi-Ho Silver, Away” instead of the other pronuciation? And am I the only one?

MODERATOR NOTE ADDED 25 July 2013: Please note that this thread is originally from 2000. New posts are not added until Post #8. – CKDH

The Lone Ranger said “Hi Yo.”

Steve Allen said “Hi Ho.”

Tom–being probably older than you, I think it was actually Louis Nye who always used to say “Hi! Ho! Steverino!” (Talking to Steve Allen, of course)

My personal crackpot theory is that the Lone Ranger was saying, “Hie-ho” - hie meaning “get going” and the “ho” added because the LR was, after all, a cowboy (Westward Ho!) It was a posher way of saying “giddyup.”

I think the “hi-yo” came about because of the tendency we have to speak words as rapidly as possible. To do this, we usually drop a few letters, but even without that “h” sound, it still takes time to say “i-o” so we speed the transition between those vowels with the added “y” sound. Say “Ohio” a few times and see if you don’t eventually say, “o-hi-yo.”

My other crackpot theory is that almost all vowels in English tend to want to become schwas, so someday it will be pronounced, “Huh-yuh, Silvuh!” anyway.

Sing ho for the life of a bear.

Okay, I like that theory (Hie-Ho becoming Hiyo through lazy pronunciation). But I guess to really clinch it, we’d need to find an old Lone Ranger script or the like, to see just how they spelled it.

I will report any progress on this matter.

Largent’s Lone Ranger and Tonto Page

From tomndebb’s link:

Now that’s a shame. I think the show would have been much better if Tonto was riding double with the Lone Ranger. It would perhaps have ingrained car-pooling in the american consciousness, and been an excellent role model to teen-agers showing that real men are not afraid of closeness. Of course, one would hope that Tonto would have been allowed to drive at least half of the time.

I think the more important question is …" Did the Lone Ranger where his mask to bed each night. In an interview in the early 60’s Tonto confirmed that he did, but then the question became how did Tonto know this bit of information.
You know how the Hollywood rumor mills work, it almost ruined their careers.

The authorized Dell comic book was titled, The Lone Ranger’s Famous Horse Hi-Yo Silver GCD :: Series :: The Lone Ranger's Famous Horse Hi-Yo Silver

However, personally as kid I always heard Hi Ho and I don’t recall every hearing it said Hi Yo until after seeing it written down many years later.

The Lone ranger and Tonto slept under the stars near a campfire all the time. Nor wold it have been unlikely they shared a bed in some kind of hotel had there actually been such characters. Of course Tonto would know. Now if it had been that Jay Silverheels knew Clayton Moore slept with the mask on, that might have raised some questions.

I believe the pertinent question is whether this is the oldest thread ever revived which is still current and on topic?

To answer the OP: I knew it as Hi-Yo. YMMV.

Wow, it only took 13 years to settle this.

I’m a child of the 50s (wait: I’m getting me and Robert Klein mixed up) and I watched some of the later seasons of The Lone Ranger when they were first broadcast. I couldn’t believe Dave Barry when he wrote that the famous cry was Hi-Ho. That’s nuts. Everybody knew it was Hi-Yo! That’s what famous means; everybody knows it.

But “MacArthur Park” is not the worst song ever, either. So much for Dave Barry.

(Just kidding, Dave! You’re a genius!)

Updated URL for Largent’s Lone Ranger and Tonto Page.

Well, I always thought it was “Hi Ho!”

The confusion may come from those damned seven dwarves, with their *Heigh Ho *song.

The Lone Ranger said Hi Yo.

Don’t you mean it’s crackers?

Actually it was “Hidey-Ho.”

The Lone Ranger’s secret identity was Cab Calloway.

Zombie thread, started in 2000, when we had no Cafe Society. Now we do. Moved there.

samclem, moderator.

I always wondered if Clayton Moore was buried wearing the mask. He really lived that character.

His Memorial Service.
http://thenostalgialeague.com/olmag/ranger.htm

His daughter donated one of the original masks to the Smithsonian.
http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history-archaeology/Hi-Yo_Silver_Away.html?c=y&page=1