What is the purpose of footprinting babies?

My folks were talking this morning about an abandonded baby in the DC area, and the question came up: Hospitals take the footprints of babies right after birth. But to what purpose? Are these footprints kept in any kind of searchable format, or do they just sit in the hospital file? If an abandoned infant cannot be identified, then why take the footprints in the first place, if not to identify infants?

As a fail safe in case they don’t get mixed up in the hospital? I’m afraid I can’t be bothered to look for a cite but not so long ago in this country a new Mum went to change her baby’s nappy and discovered she had brought home someone else’s little boy leaving her own baby girl at the hospital!

Please omit the word "don’t from the first sentence of the previous post. :o

• It’s for identification purposes, as said. They use the footprint because at that point the fingerptints are so tiny and (due to the infant’s lack of cooperativeness) they are difficult to print well.
        ~

Interesting article (with a deplorable lack of paragraph separation).

Most baby footprints are taken to prevent or resolve mix-ups in the hospital. An abandoned baby might also be identified that way, but I suspect that most abandoned babies are not actually delivered in hospitals.

There does not seem to be an electronic index of baby footprints (and the FBI’s electronic index of fingerprints was recently demonstrated to have flaws), but generally baby footprints are used to distinguish two children who are both present, not identify a baby found with no identification.

And all these 17 years I’ve thought it was so they could press them on Daddys scrub shirt for cool keep sake. :smiley:

the above answers to the question about the purpose of the footprint retained by the hospital ?
are completely wrong and you are all misled.
I dont mean to offend anyone nor do i expect anyone to believe what i say about the real explanation.
You can all check this yourselves by examining the legal document that has been validated by the child’s footprint which has been deliberately taken before it puts its tiny foot on dry land. There is legal jargon on the paper such as Name of informant (mother) and Census Officer (Doctor). Try refusing to comply… well this is unlikely given the vulnerable state of the mother in her situation.
Unknown to the parents a legal personality has just been created by giving the child a NAME which then becomes a token to play the game.
Just research the meaning of words like REGISTRATION and the PERSON and with any luck you’ll learn about a process called NOVATION which dates back to Roman times and is all part of Roman Military Law which allows such things as deceit and concealment without committing fraud. or watch this youtube video for further info.

see at 6:29 comments about the BIRTH CERTIFICATE

Nothing good can come when a first-time poster responds to an eight year old thread with a phrase such as “nor do i expect anyone to believe what i say.”

I think your expectations will be met.

But 93% of the people won’t repost this. Will you be one of the 7% with the courage and faith to repost it?

This isn’t facebook you know, we don’t repost stuff just for shits and giggles. Why don’t you bring this shtick over to 4chan. They’re all about threadshitting, reposting and being called cowards for not vocally agreeing with you. Yeah, that’s there thing.

And you’re way overoptimistic with that 7%.

Closed.

samclem, moderator