Snorting Drano...

You hear a lot of jokes about snorting Drano… has anyone ever actually done this? If so, what are the side effects?

I tried a search on Erowid and apparently even on Erowid, where stories of people trying to get highs from swallowing an entire bottle of caffeine pills abound, there aren’t people stupid enough to snort Drano. Or perhaps they didn’t live to tell the experience. In any case I’m curious to know if there are any cases of anybody snorting Drano.

It will destroy your nasal passages and the back of your throat and probably lead to some serious medical issues. Why would anyone think that it would be a good idea to snort something that is used to dissolve organic and inorganic substances quickly?

I know of someone in my wife’s family that killed herself by drinking Draino if that counts. The doctors said that it was probably a horrible and painful way to go.

Drano is very good at dissolving skin, hair, mucus membranes, and all the other things people tend to be made of. Depending on the amount, somebody who snorts Drano is in for either very serious medical problems or a very painful death, very quickly if one is lucky, but quite possibly drawn out over the course of several weeks.

I know of a few cases where someone has uninintentionally injected Drano, from an extrordinarily bad street cut or from a homicidal “hot-shot.” Death was nearly instantaneous.

Drano is not a popular street drug for these reasons.

I’m not sure you’d want to survive a Drano accident. But for the morbidly curious here’s a recent thread from GQ.

Okay, Grey, that’s it. I’m chucking out my Drano as soon as I get home.

Thanks all. I guess the conclusion is… it’s a really, really bad idea. :eek: I’m guessing that there’s no high associated with it, either. :smack:

Check out Victim by Gary Kinder.

This is the second thread on this topic in as many months. Now that school has started, is this the latest craze the frat children are following?

How “legitimate” is Erowid?

Why on Earth would anybody even think there might be a “high” associated with dissolving your mucous membranes with powerful alkali? :confused:

If so, more power to 'em. I’m a great believer in social Darwinism.

http://www.erowid.org is the premier drug resource website. And yes they are considered quite legitmate by NIDA–I interned there. We even had Earth and Fire Erowid come and speak to us in a small closed meeting on the condition that their real names would not be known.

Judith Ann Neely attempted to kill a young girl by injecting her with Drano. IIRC, it din’t work (or didn’t work fast enough) so she was beaten to death. It has been a while since I read the book (Early Graves.)