Ivan the Terrible comes to Pittsburgh

Holy shit!

West Virginia, Pennsylvania and Ohio, all hit with steady rain since early yesterday morning until about midnight last night.

We’ve had massive flooding in the area, probably the worst it’s been in decades. Etna is completely under water. People had to be rescued by emergency crews from a bridge in Carnegie.

We were lucky, we only had maybe two inches in our basement, but the people below us are going to come home to houses full of mud and debris. You should have seen it-one house had just been remodeled-now the entire front side has been stripped off.

Damn. Just…damn.

We had some tornado activity about a half-hour to the west last night. This has been the summer of extreme weather, thus far. Glad you’re ok Guin

Well, I can’t get out of town because all the roads out are closed, so I’m effectively stuck on campus. Other than that, no problems here. Well, at least for me. I have no idea how much property damage the area’s looking at.

Last night, there was a tornado in Shippensburg, and this morning, Airman reported significant flooding in Carlisle. Suffice it to say, we’ve been housebound.

We’ve been lucky, though; Ivan the Terrible was downgraded to Ivan the Merely Annoying, and looks to be Ivan the Gone.

Robin

I’m in Newark, DE, and awoke this mornign to water pouring through 3 separate leaks in my bathroom ceiling of my top floor flat this morning :smack:

Had to poke holes through the plaster to keep the whole lot from crashing down.

Just read this morning on a CNN article that says cartographer will have to redraw a mile-long section of the Gulf Coast cos the waves have completely changed the topography :eek:

Flooding here in Marietta OH. I can see it from the front porch. Ugh.

You do realize, Guinastasia, that you’re to blame – poor Ivan had a terrible tropical depression at the total rejection he saw from everyone on the news and weather reports – and, realizing your affinity for the Romanovs, figured that up in Pittsburgh, at least, he’d find someone who appreciated him!

This post in no way is intended to make fun of the widespread destruction, loss of life, and injuries which hurricanes in general and Ivan in particular cause, and have in fact caused to many Dopers.

Thank goodness you’re alright, Robyn. The tornado apparently didn’t touch down anywhere near my house( in Shippensburg), but it was a soggy prospect getting home. Idiots still drove on Queen Street, even though I think it was flooded a foot deep in one place. I found my trash can 3/4 full of water this morning. Hope Aaron’s okay with Grandma.

As one who recently went through both Charley and Frances, you have my sympathies.

Apparently we’re in for a 20-30 year cycle of increased hurricane activity. If this summer is any indication, we’re in for a long haul.

I hope FEMA doesn’t go broke. There’s going to be a lot of disaster areas.

All we really got here in Lancaster was a lot of rain. I didn’t see any real flooding, but we’re about five miles or so from the river. We WERE going to go out in York last night but nixed that idea when we heard the weather bulletins. Sounds like that was probably one of the most intelligent things I’ve ever done.

I have a friend up near State College, on the other hand, whose house became an island. I’ve been getting semi-regular e-mail updates on the ongoing drama.

As far as the immediate future goes, though, Ivan appears to be the end of it for now – the high mountains of the Dominican Republic essentially tore the heart out of Jeanne, and Karl’s projected path keeps it well out to sea.

For those who are dealing with the aftermath of Bonnie, Charley, Frances, Gaston, and Ivan, that’s small consolation. But at least we can look forward to a few weeks of calm on the tropical storm schedule.

I was thinking of you late yesterday. You sure picked a hell of a year to move. Good thing you didn’t buy a house closer to the river. :eek:

We were pretty much OK. Airman had to go to Wal-Mart this morning for a wet-dry shopvac; our basement had about two inches or so of water in one corner. He reported that the roads were flooded out enough in some places to bring water into my car.

Aaron was OK, too.

Robin

I’m waiting for the weeping, wailing, and gnashing of balance sheets from the insurance industry, as justification for jacking up rates again. Either that, or they’ll do as they have with mold, and just stop covering you for that risk. If your policy renewal contains a package of K-Y, remember you heard it first on SDMB. :smiley:

Here in my part of Carroll County, Md. (south of Hanover, Pa) we’ve had power outages but not much flooding. Where I live is the highest point in Carroll.

We did get quite a bit of rain and wind but no damage tho’.

You really do live in the middle of nowhere when you use Hanover as a geographical marker… :smiley:

Did anyone see the footage of those morons driving right through the flood waters and getting stuck? People were actually moving barricades and then driving through!

Then I heard there was looting in Etna last night. Dumbasses. It would serve them right if they got tripped up on a power line under the water.

Look, Carroll County’s last moment in the sun was July 4, 1831 – give the guy a break!! :slight_smile:

What, is Monroe buried there?

I’m just glad the wind didn’t knock down the string from my can to my ISP’s can. :smiley: