Why do I keep losing my Comcast connection?

I’ve got a Comcast cable connection that works fine as long as I’m active on the computer but lately if I leave the 'puter for any length of time and it goes into standby I lose my cable connection and I can’t get it back unless I reset my computer.

I’m using IE for my browser.

Is there anything I can do about this?

Does it ALWAYS happen when you go into standby, or just sometimes?

Is this something that just started happening?

Did you recently download any MS upgrades? Sometimes those have added “features” that you don’t want and you might have to adjust the connection settings.

Start with the easy solutions. What sort of splitter do you have? I forget what the cutoff is, but if your splitter is not rated for high frequencies, then you will have all sorts of problems with your connection.

Just sometimes.

Just started happening a few weeks ago.

I just get the crucial updates. I got the XP2 package a little while ago but had no problems until just recently.

I have no idea. The Comcast dudes installed it. What should I look for?

This happens to me once in awhile-- the signal in my area is not very good, and I would see fuzziness on the lower TV channels (2 - 7) also. I ended up buying a better splitter a few weeks ago.

But I don’t think resenting the computer would make a difference if this was the problem. You’d also be able to see that the modem itself wasn’t working (no blinking lights), and it would be clear that it wasn’t a computer problem.

Is this happening, DtC?

No, the modem always seems like it’s working fine. All solid lights.

Could DoC have an IP address issue, where it rotates when it shouldn’t?

I’m not sure what your asking here, so I’ll start with the basic. Forgive me if I insult your intelligence.

The splitter is the little device, about one by one and a half inches, that spilts the one cable coming from the wall into two separate cables. One of which will go off to the TV, the other would head off to your cable modem. On the face of the splitter, there should ba a frequency rating. I think the minimum rating for a cable modem signal is 800Hz. Since your cable guy installed it, I would assume it’s the correct rating. Cable guys hate making return visits.

Surprisingly, these little guys (the splitter, not the cable guy) can go bad. One way to tell is to plug your cable directly into the wall, and checking your performance. If the splitter is bad, Comcast should replace it. If you don’t want to wait three weeks for Comcast to come back out, you can get a new one at Radio Shack for about $5.

If you do not have a spitter connecting your cable modem, then step two would be to have Comcast replace the modem itself.

All in all, you sound like you’re having the same symptoms I had when my splitter died.

I don’t think it’s the splitter. I don’t have any receptivity problems when I’m connected (and the tv cable works fine). I never lose the connection when I’m active, only when I cold boot from standby.

I have Comcast cable, and I have the exact same problem. If I leave the computer on standby, and come back to it, the internet is no longer accessible, but the modem lights are all clearly okay.

The way that I’ve been fixing it without restarting is to go into My Network Connections, click on the appropriate connection (there are 3 different things that appear in that window, and I can’t remember off the top of my head what they are.) There is only one that I can use the “repair” option on, so I repair the connection. It pops up some error message about not being able to flush the ARP Cache, and two seconds later I’m able to connect to the net again.

I haven’t had a chance to sit down and work out a real fix, but that’s the way I’ve been fixing it whenever it comes up.

I had this problem when I was using USB instead of Ethernet. A couple of weeks ago a splitter went bad and when I replaced it I switched over to using a Ethernet card. Haven’t have any problems since.

Call me crazy, but maybe if you simply set the computer to not enter stand-by mode, your problem would be solved.

Interesting. I’ll give that a try as a temp fix at least. It’s really annoying to have to keep restarting. Thanks for the tip.

On preview, Duderdude, how would I do that (I am functionally illiterate when it comes to computers).

Oat1957. That may be the long term solution that I need. Thanks for the help.

Oh, and I meant no offense by my post. I was just being a smart ass.

Anyways, right click on your desktop and choose “Properties.” Then click the “Screen Saver” tab, and click on the “Power” button at the bottom. Now click the last three options to “Never.” Feel free to have the monitor turn off after a certain period though; that’s what I do. After that, click “apply” and that should do it.

Thanks, Duder. The operation has been performed. Hopefully that’ll work until I can get an Ethernet card.

(I didn’t take you first post as an insult. When it comes to computers I am the special case who needs to be told things that are obvious to everyone else. I appreciate the help)

This task just might be worked into next season’s The Apprentice. :wink:

Call Comcast Customer Service!

Preferrably very late at night or early in the morning.

Per Oat1957 change over to the modems ethernet connection option instead of USB.

No problem, I’m just glad that I’ve been of help, for once :wink: