Tiger vs. Wolf: Who wins?

This has been a long-running debate/argument at work, so I turn to the Teeming Millions.

A lone wolf and a solitary tiger are placed in the Roman Coliseum and fight to the death. Which one will emerge victorius?

I’m saying the tiger, based off of size, speed, strength and the fact that it is used to hunting alone. My coworker says the wolf, for the same reasons plus higher intelligence.

the tiger would win easily

yeah, the tiger would win. I would bet that it would take at least 3 wolves to kill a tiger, which they would then be able to do easily.

Man, it’s not even close. A Tiger can weigh almost 700 pounds. Tigers have claws they use as weapons. A Tiger would kill a wolf in one swipe.

I don’t think three wolves could kill a big tiger. I’m not even sure a pack of wolves could.

Animals in the tiger’s class would be Grizzly bears, maybe a Silverback Gorilla, a couple of other animals. BIG animals. Supreme predators. Wolves aren’t even in the same ballpark.

I agree, a Wolf is more like the neighbor’s dog on steroids but a Tiger is a…Tiger.
I wouldn’t be able to call a Tiger VS a Bear or Lion but a Wolf. I am pretty sure that the wolf would be the Tiger’s lunch.

A pack of wolves might not be enough to take down a full grown male tiger. Tigers are among the planet’s elite land predators, along with lions and the larger bears (grizzly and polar), which also are large, fast, and have sharp claws.

A healthy adult male Bengal tiger vs. a healthy adult male Kodiak or polar bear, now that would be a battle.

Definitely Tiger.

The real questions remains though:

Will there ever be a boy that can swim faster than a sharK?

I’ve got a rather nice encyclopaedia of animals at home and read about a Siberian Tiger (a particularly large one btw) taking down 13 wolves before the rest of the pack brought him down. Difficult to cite tho, so you’ll have to take my word.

Catsurvivalist describes diet of the tiger here (page down to Diet), which does include wolf… I suspect the wolf would a) need to be alone and b) the tiger pretty hungry.

Although I have a soft spot for wolves, Tigers are awesome creatures.

This may come as a surprise, but I also have a soft spot for wolves. :stuck_out_tongue:

Still, this isn’t even a fair fight. Tigers have it better than wolves in almost every department in this fight. :frowning:

First to the OP, Tiger paws down. Second to TastesLikeBurning over a short distance (IE. a pool), swimming for their life, maybe Thorpe, or Phelps, in open water, not a chance. No matter how great of a swimmer you are you can’t beat millions of years of Evolution.

Rev. Phelps? Not that I wouldn’t be interested in seeing him try to swim faster than a shark. I would definately be cheering for the shark though.

Don’t forget that until Mowgli joined the pack the brotherhood of wolves feared Sherkhan more than anything but man. It was Mowgli’s cunning, working together with his brothers, that allowed them to slay the lame one*.

*And Sherkhan was an old, somewhat lame tiger who had taken to attacking livestock, which is against the Law of the Jungle.

I was referring to Michael Phelps, the guys who won 6(?) medals this summer in the olympics. But if you want to see the Rev go down that way…

Facts:

1. Tigers are mammals.
  2. Tigers fight ALL the time.
  3. The purpose of the tiger is to flip out and kill things.

Tigers can kill anything they want. They bite off heads *all *the time and don’t even think twice about it. These guys are so crazy and awesome that they flip out *all * the time. I heard that there was this tiger who was eating his dinner and when some monkey dropped a banana, the tiger killed the whole jungle.

If you don’t believe that tigers can kill a wolf, you better get a life right now or they will bite your head off! It’s an easy choice, if you ask me.

You got that right, Aesiron. Tigers are cool; and by cool, I mean totally sweet.

I also read in a nature book that siberian tigers kick wolf ass.

The tiger, if it’s prepared.

The greatest golfer in the world versus an aging CNN commentator?

Oh, wait…

Does your coworker really think that wolves hunt alone?

I think Shere Khan was always lame (Lungri, his mother called him, “Lame One”), and he was not depicted as old, I don’t think–just evil, lazy and merciless.

Also, attacking man was almost always against the law of the jungle (except for one night, which was the tiger’s right!):

But it was OK to kill cattle. In fact, Bagheera bought Mowgli’s life by giving the indifferent pack a bull he had killed and hidden close by (much to Shere Khan’s anger):

I love the Jungle Book (so does my son–we used to read it together when he was little). Wolves and tigers are cool. But a tiger kills a wolf easily. Unless the wolf is packing. :wink:

Heck, I’d put my money on a Mountain Lion (Cougar) against a Wolf. And they are in the same weight class.

A Tiger? Against a Wolf? I don’t think your co-workers know what a Tiger really is.

From Animalinfo.org - The Tiger*
The tiger is the largest member of the cat family, with the Amur (Siberian) tiger weighing as much as 360 kg (790 lb). Although it is found in a variety of habitats, the tiger always requires dense vegetative cover, an adequate supply of large ungulate prey (mainly deer and wild pigs), and access to a reliable source of water.
The principal prey of the tiger consists of various species of deer and wild pigs, usually in the 50 - 200 kg (110 - 440 lb) range. These include sambar, chital, swamp deer, red deer, rusa deer and wild boar. It will also take young elephants and rhinos and smaller species such as monkeys, birds, reptiles and fish.*

From Animalinfo.org - The Wolf*
The red wolf weighs 18 - 41 kg (40 - 90 lb). It has utilized habitats including upland and bottomland forests, wetlands, bushland and coastal prairies. It has been reported to capture animals up to the size of small deer, including pigs, nutria, raccoons, muskrats, other rodents and rabbits. It will also eat carrion.*

The principle prey of the Tiger is up to 4 times bigger than a large Wolf. Your co-workers need less Disney and more Nature Channel.