Investing in India

Okay - I need to give you a little background to this. I am currently based in India and am looking to invest in a small turnaround opportunity out here. I work with a US venture capital fund and need to raise equity through both this fund and a consortium of other investors. The total amount that I am looking to raise is small (approx $1.5m). The company that I am planning to buy has assets of around $2m and debt of about $1.5m. They have a working capital shortfall and have not been able to service this debt for some time. The company is in bankruptcy and I think that it is an interesting turnaround opportunity.

However, some of my investors have indicated that they wish for me to raise some equity locally. My question really revolves around providing a solid reason for NOT doing so. Access to capital is restricted in India but what are the main reasons WHY this is the case? ie What are the macro-economic reasons behind why is it difficult to raise money here? Cost of debt capital is high because of higher interest rates and greater risk, but why is equity financing so hard to come by?

I expect that a company like the one I am looking at would have easily found financing in the US. It has an existing customer base in an old-economy industry with outstanding orders and solid gross margins. I am interested in any information any of you Dopers may have on this, particularly technical & detailed info. Thanks!

My understanding is that requests for investment information are not permitted. And almost assuredly not in GQ,where some may think that there are factual answers.

I’m closing this until a GQ Mod sees it and makes a ruling.

I’ve reopened this one. We don’t really cotton to people asking for investment advice, but you seem to be looking for hypothetical answers to why you can’t raise capital in India.

samclem

Thanks samclem. That’s exactly what I am asking. But no response yet from anyone?

My apologies. The awkward phenomenon commonly called “real life” has severely limited my SDMB time. I therefore read quickly and reacted to a REPORT BAD POST message. I deliberately set this up as correctable if I had acted in haste. Again, my apologies if this has inconvenienced anyone.

I’d suggest talking to fund managers or chartered accountants at some of the large banks or consultancy firms in Bombay or New Delhi - they’d be best qualified to answer your specific queries.

FWIW, I’m not so sure it’s that difficult anymore to raise funds. No cites, just the impression I get from the media. Sorry I can’t be of more help…