Can I ask the post office to hold my mail at the office and then I go pick it up

I ordered something from mexico and its being delivered by registered mail. I will not be at the apartment when it gets there due to it being a school vacation and even if I am back by the time it gets there I am gone most of the day. Since its registered mail I have to sign for it and I probably wont be there.

Can I have the post office hold my package and then I go pick it up and sign for it at the office, or can I call the post office and tell them to have the leasing office at my apartment complex sign for the package since I wont be there? I can’t wait at the apartment for it because I probably wont be there, and I thought if you weren’t there 2 or 3 times to recieve a package they send the package back to sender.

I would ask the post office but its sunday.

You answered your own question.

A signature is required by the post office. No signature, no delivery. If you are not there when the post office delivers, they will attempt to deliver to the apartment manager, providing the post office normally does this.

If the post office cannot deliver, you will find a notification card in your box informing you where/when to pick the package.

Oh, yeah. You’ll have to sign for it.

Or if you have my mailman, he won’t even bring it from the post office but will simply bring note saying he tried to deliver it and failed and I should pick it up at the post office the next day.

Oh and since this is GQ I assume you want a cite. The only cite I can offer for the several times this happened is once I was out gardening in the front yard and spoke to the postman as he put mail in the box. Was I susprised to find a “couldn’t deliver” notification.

The problem is when UPS tries to deliver something they make 3 attempts then send it back to the sender, they don’t even try to use the leasing office unless you tell them explicitally (UPS at least). I do not know the post office’s policy on returning a package, I was afraid they’d make a couple of attempts then send it back. I do not mind signing for it but I can’t wait at my apartment for them to show up, i’d have to have it held at the post office then go and pick it up.

Probably the best thing to do is to check the USPS website.

I would think this page should be able to answer your questions.

Take two aspirin and call the USPO [not UPS] in the morning.

Sign for and pick the package up at the USPO on return from vacation.

Whenever I go on vacation, I go to the post office and pick up a yellow card used to temporarily stop mail delivery. I include the date to have them start holding the mail, and check the box that says something like “hold all mail until I come to pick it all up, and then resume regulary delivery”. I leave this card in my mailbox about three days before leaving (and to be sure, I leave another one on the day I leave).
In your situation, where you are concerned about a registered mail package, I recommend you give the yellow card to a person at the counter at the post office, and ask about how this will work with registered mail.

(MPSIMS: My mail is currently being held at the post office as we speak/type, and I am reading the Straight Dope in Siberia.)

You can also do this online, here.

The yellow card works fine – anything sent to you, registered or not, will be held. You can either have them resume delivery automatically, or pick up the held items as the PO. There is a minimum number of days (they won’t hold mail for one day), but if you’re gone a week, it’ll work just fine for your purposes.

Take two aspirin and call the USPO, not UPS, in the morning.

On return, following holiday, go to USPO, sign receipt for, and pick up package.

QED