Eye beams

Which is more destructive?

*) The heat vision of pre-Crisis on Infinite Earths Superman

– OR –

*) The optic blasts of the X-men’s Cyclops?

Cyke.

1. Superman’s heat vision needed to be activated.
  2. I don’t remember it ever displaying quite the spread Cyke’s blasts do.
  3. Even aside from that, Cyke’s blasts pack more destructive wallop into a short blast than the heat vision does.

On the other hand, Cyke’s blasts seem to be entirely a physical concussion, whereas Superman can set things on fire, which might spread.

Well if “For the Man Who Has Everything” is to be believed, I’d say Superman.

Wonder Woman hits Mongul with a beam that turns part of his chest white hot and he barely notices. When Supes hits him he screams in pain.

Plus the description say, “Eyes spit suns”

I know Supe could control the intensity of the beams. Could Cyclops?

Were this the post-Crisis on Infinite Earths Superman we were talking about, I’d agree with you on point number 3.

But pre-Crisis on Infinite Earths ? We’re talking about a Superman who took refreshing baths by flying through the core of the sun, and who pushed the Earth back into its proper orbit after Colossus carried it out past the orbit of Saturn (if you take The World’s Greatest SuperFriends as canon). He’s used his heat vision to weld the moon back together after Sinestro cut it in half in “The Giants of Doom” (if you take Challenge of the SuperFriends as canon).

There’s no way Cyclops’ optic blasts could match that kind of raw power.

The look my wife gives me when she’s pissed off.

I’m pretty sure he can control them only with his lenses. IIRC, he suffered an injury as a kid that rendered his optic blasts uncontrollable. They don’t really ever turn off, or vary in intensity. If you think about it too much, the whole thing doesn’t make sense (how does he keep the glasses on his face?), but who cares? It’s a comic book.

Superman’s.

As Tengu mentioned, Superman’s heat vision is, well, heat, while Cyclops’ beams are just concussive force. Plus, even post-Crisis Superman’s heat vision is extremely potent (take a look at how he wiped out all of those Doomsday clones in Superman/Batman) and pre-Crisis Supes was, of course, leaps and bounds above that.

We rarely ever see Cyke’s full power blast. There’s a great scene in Joss Whedon’s new XMen series where Cyke lets go in a big way, and Wolverine, surveying the devastation, quietly says “Every now and then, Scott, I remember why you’re the one in charge.”

Well, yes, I think J Lo has a great ass.

Easy–Pre-Crisis Superman. He’s used his heat vision to reignite suns.

I half expected this to be a thread about the Powerpuff Girls.