Someone has an internet address I want. They aren't using it. How can I nab it?

So, there’s this web address I really want and the people who own it looked as if they haven’t updated it since text on a blue background was considered cutting edge. Is there someway I can procure this? Shouldn’t there be internet squatters rights?

Have you tried contacting them in some way to ask them if maybe they want to fork it over or sell it to you?

And if there were internet squatters’ rights, I’d think that the people who currently own the domain would be the ones to benefit - they’ve been squatting on the name all this time, after all.

There are two things that you can do. First would be to contact the person and find out if (s)he would be willing to give up the domain name (they would probably want some money in exchange). The other possiblity is to wait for their registration to expire and snap it up if they don’t renew.

Meant to include the link for some info on domain name law:
http://www.bizhelp24.com/business_law/domain-names.shtml

I will note that it says this:

which I would take to mean there’s no way of swooping in and “procuring” a domain name that is already registered to someone.

There are a few ways, but you’re going to rely on the current owners to be either reasonable, buyable or lazy.

1/ Find out who own’s it, contact them, make them an offer. You can do a whois via Internic to find out who owns it.

You could have all sorts of issues from there, particularly if it’s not all of the site, or it’s registered to someone reselling domains or managing multiple domains and they don’t want to help you.

2/ Contact the webmaster and do the same as above.

Both of these will alert the owners – if you find them – to the fact that someone is interested in their domain. In which case they might either just start being petty or ask for an unreasonable sum.

Make it clear you’re just you, and not some hugely rich business.

3/ Wait for their lease to expire.

At some point they’ll have to pony up money to reregister the domain. If they really don’t care then they’ll not bother and the domain will become free. There are some webservices that will monitor this for you, try here for one.

4/ If you feel you have a valid right to the name, and they’ve unfairly taken it from you, then there are steps you can take.

This doesn’t appear to be the case for you, and I’m not sure what the correct steps are anyway.

On preview: I spent too long formulating this post and’ve been beaten to the punch – but I’m posting the whole thing 'cos I had to go and look for the domain-watch link.

I love you all. That was literally everything I needed to know. Domain, in turns out, is registered for another year, so I’ll be contacting the owner. Hopefully it all goes well.

Something to keep in mind. Just because there is no website being maintained for an internet address, doesn’t mean that there is no one using it.

I and my SO have an address registered. We’ve never ever set up a page for it, but we DO use it for the email addresses.

Good luck getting the address of your dreams.

I own the rights to my own name using 2 spellings, but have only forwarded the urls to my website. I was contacted by an individual with the same name who wanted to buy it off me saying ,"…since you’re only forwarding it, can I buy it from you" I decided against it, but I noticed this thread, and since your name is BirdMonster, and I’m FlightlessBird, I’m wondering… is your name Jeff?

Tastes of Choc: They seem to be running a website but it’s fairly sad. Hasn’t been updated in eons.

FB: Naw, I’ve never contacted you. I in fact own Birdmonster.com (being updated soon, for those of you who are curious) and it’s my band’s name. That one worked out for us. The one I’m looking at is purely for my own enjoyment.

Oh whew! I was afraid I’d bumped into my doppleganger.

Just a word of note: Just because the website hasn’t been updated doesn’t mean that they aren’t using it. I have a domain that I own that I use for email purposes only - there is no website. The domain is very much in use, but you wouldn’t know it unless you received email from me from that domain.

Zev Steinhardt

Please define “Internet address”? Do you mean domain name? If so, 99%+ sure you are shit out of luck. I own the domain names I hold. That’s it. Wanna buy them? E-mail an offer to me. I own the Internet domain name, and run a site at, bigtrademark.org. All the trademark owners could do is sue me, and as I live in the US this is both likely legally and politically impossible. If they trademark owners actually tried, this would be front page Wall Street Journal. Unless you have lots of money (think 5 figures here) forget it.

Correct. Many domain names exist just for e-mail.

Not true. Example news story (from yesterday)

Let me chime in as another person who uses my domain mainly for e-mail. I haven’t updated my webpage since 2002… but it’s far from an abandoned address.

And many are used for nothing but are still not “unused”. Out of the hundreds of domains I have registered for my company or clients, several of them are for projects that are still vaporware at this point but very much in development. These domains look like they’re completely unused to the outside world, but we wouldn’t sell them. We have other domains which were registered for projects that never came to fruition, and we often part with those for the asking.