Peeing in the back yard to scare off coyotes

My wife wants me to pee in the backyard. She says it will scare off coyotes so that they won’t get the cats. It sounds a little suspicious to me.

Anyone know for sure?

Dunno about coyotes but I’ve heard it works for rabbits and deer.
As a side note Its common knowlege that wild critters pee to mark their territory.
So why wouldn’t it work? And if it doesn’t work is that critter challenging you? Time to get out the 30/06 and let Wiley know whose boss?
Another note
Ted Nugent claims to have peed around a fresh kill in Africa and left the dead animal over night without african critters of the night bothering his kill.

Pee on your door handles. Then your wife won’t let your cats outside.

Coyotes are extremely adaptable. They’ve reached the point where they ignore human scents in the areas they have moved into.

Not to hijack, but would coyotes really get your cats? I wouldn’t think that anything would go after cats as food unless it was utterly starving… I’ve definitely never heard of a dog eating a cat, and I’d imagine dogs are a lot less picky than coyotes… I mean… it’s cats… I can’t put it into words, but something about cats just seems inedible…

Welll…* in the wild*, wild animals tend to avoid “marked” areas. “Tend”.

Yes, coyotes will eat a domestic cat. Not their first choice mind you- in general, land carnivores don’t prey on other land carnivores*. But the urban coyote is a strange beastie indeed.

• Which is why, in general- land carnivores don’t prey on humans. Oddly, and backing this up- many Puma attacks (when they attack with intent to eat) seem to be on vegetarian dudes. By “prey” I mean “hunt with intent to eat”. Territorial "disputes’, or mothers being protective of their young, or getting between them and what they *really *want to eat- then you’re fair game. This could perhaps be happening with cats or small dogs who try and “protect” their outside food bowl from a coyote.

Of course, the best way to protect your cats from coyotes- is to not let the cats outside in the1st place. Few coyotes can pick locks. :stuck_out_tongue:

And, “indoor only” cats outlive “indoor/outdoor” cats by a factor of at least 2-1.

Would you have a reference for that? I can think of any number of exceptions. Indeed I can’t think of any land carnivores that don’t routinely prey on other land carnivores. Leopards routinely prey on baboons, cheetahs routinely prey on jackals, jaguars routinely prey on opossums.

I’ve heard this before, but once again I’d have to see a reference to credit it as more than an urban myth. Given that puma attacks are perishingly rare, and given that a reasonable portion of the population is vegetarian is there one scintilla of evidence that vegetarians are overrepresented as victims?

And if they are, given that I suspect that vegetarians are overrepresented in unarmed Sierra Club type people who routinely traverse the wilds are they really overrepresented to any significant level?

• Yes, but only areas that have been marked by the same species of animals. Generally speaking, the whole thing with “human-peeing to drive off [some animal]” be it moles or coyotes or whatever doesn’t work, because of the fact that such animals can plainly smell the difference between their own species’ urine and anything else–and they ignore anything else.
        ~

Maybe you just need to lift the seat and aim better?

Dude! How big is your dick? :eek:

Ahem: Cats are difficult prey. For example, they can climb trees, fences and things that coyotes cannot. We live way back in the woods and coyotes are plentiful here. We have one cat that’s 18 years old and another that’s about seven. These cats stay outside all the time and they’ve avoided death by coyote so far.
While I do pee in the yard with some frequency, these cats range much farther than the yard so I doubt that the “pee in the yard” thingy has anything to do with it. It sure doesn’t discourage armadillos and 'possums from foraging in the yard.

But hey! It’s a simple request, so I’d comply. How often do you get a chance to pee in the yard and please the Lady of the House with one simple act? Years pass, cats continue to thrive, you get brownie points. Win/win deal!

Cowboy philosopher:
“There ain’t no pleasin’ a woman. A man can stand on the porch and piss into the yard and she’ll gripe.
Go stand in the yard and piss up on the porch, she still gripes!”

Our 2 cats are indoor cats now. We think we lost a former cat to a fox.

We had a labrador at the time.

A doubt a coyote living near people is gonna care about your pee if a fox doesn’t care about a large dogs pee.

But it is fun to pee in the yard.

Only solution is to be outside with them. Or to keep the cat inside.

I’ve peed in the yard to ward off heffalumps and woozles.

Haven’t seen one yet.

A pal o mine works for the Department of Natural Resources here in Saint Paul. He says you can tell when Coyotes have moved up the river bottom, because the neighborhoods surrounding mine have missing cat signs popping up all over.

Then ther’s the dog fighters and the future serial killers. I suppose they could be mistaken for coyotes.

The coyotes here will kill cats and dogs and have been known to chase horses.

I’d keep the cats inside, especially at night.

Not nessesarily. After all, predators don’t like to run into other predators in the same niche. Wolves will avoid a human “marked” area. Not that they won’t cross the line if they need to…

Blake Baboons are omnivores, so are opossums, in fact, 'possums eat a* lot* of fruit. I have never heard of cheetahs 'routinely" preying on jackals. Killing them to keep them off a kill, sure, but Cheetahs hunt gazelle & such. Lions charge and scare off jackals and Hyena’s around their prey, for example, but they never seem to hunt with intent to eat. Pumas don’t hunt wolves, nor do bear hunt either.

Your wife is just tired of cleaning the bathroom. Hire a cleaning lady to come in every couple weeks and you can pee wherever you want!

Whether this would work with coyotes is not the point, as there a LOT of other predators in Calif, as here in AZ, that will gladly have your cats for lunch. Such as mountain lions, bobcats, feral dogs, owls, hawks, etc. Even danger from rattlers.

If you want to let you cats live to ripe old age, keep 'em inside!

We’ve got a cat door. And the Mrs. wants them to come and go as they please. Coyotes are really the only predator to worry about in this area (suburban Los Angeles). We’re far enough from the hills so we don’t see a lot of them. But they will come down occasionally.

I’ve got a bottle of coyote urine right in front of me. It is sold in hunting equipment stores. I don’t remember what the hell I bought it for, but back in my hunting days, I used to buy anything that was advertised to draw in deer. Anyway, the story on the bottle says that it is to be used two ways: As a coyote lure, to create the illusion that there are coyotes nearby…if you are hunting coyotes, and two, as a deer repellant, to flush deer out of an area while you wait down wind. I don’t remember it ever worked for me, but I will say it stinks something awful.

Even if you manage to keep the coyotes out of your own backyard, how would you confine the cats to your backyard?
:confused:

While I agree with what you said I think a I/O cat is about 2x happier then a indoor only cat.