Baseball kicks ass. Basketball sucks.

Hey, it’s the pit. I don’t need a reason!
I think any “sport” played indoors (including turf) should not be considered a sport. That’s why basketball sucks.
Football’s good, takes lotsa guts.
Baseball is the sport of gods (such as Dusty Baker). The most intricate mental decisions flourish in baseball.
Go Giants! Go Niners! Everyone with me now: Beat LA! Beat LA!

JMcC from SFCA
http://members.tripod.com/~weirdstuff/index.html

Football - and no, I don’t mean soccer, I mean football is the best sport around.

I’m a Yankee fan, but when we suck, I could give two shits about it. BORING!!!

Brian O’Neill
CMC International Records
rockuniverse.com/cmc/cmc.html

ICQ 35294890
AIM Scrabble1
Yahoo Messenger Brian_ONeill

You both are nuts.

veera’s right. ALL sports are a bone-headed waste of time and energy.

But basketball DOES suck just a little bit more than all the others.

Uke

Man, I just knew, as a Braves fan that the Yankees did make a deal with Satan to win that damn series. Anyway, JJ, I don’t know what you mean, since some ball games are played indoors or on artificial turf-- Twin’s Metrodome, Phillie’s Vet, Houston’s Astrodome, Toronto’s Skydome, etc. Still requires thinking to play on astroturf right?
Setting your outfield and infield, playing bunts, playing your better defensive players who can read the bounces on turf, etc. Anyway, I get crazy over most anything MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA. I’ve got the defective male chromosome that creates a sports fan from hell. Fortunately my wife’s a sports fan too, otherwise my shit would’ve been thrown out on that lawn a good long time ago.

“…send lawyers, guns, and money…”

Warren Zevon

if i’m going to think, give me a baseball game (preferably red sox, so i can suffer while i’m at it)

if i’m going to appreciate beautiful plays, give me a soccer game

if i’m going for action, give me hockey or lacrosse

if i’m going to be a fan, and could give a rat’s ass about what’s happening on the “playing field”, and just want to heckle, give me a small basketball arena with a good home team. wait a minute, i’ve got that! go card!

if i’m going to be bored out of my fucking skull, give me an equestrian show. really, i thought golf was the worst, but this takes horror to new heights.

ellis

I am an Internatonal student and hope I can give a unbiased view:

I have had contact with American sports for the past 12 months only and I already have formed strong opinions.

Baseball sucks. Its as slow as a 5-day Cricket Match. American football sucks. Its almost an inhuman game. “do whatenver you want, just get this weird looking thing on the other side”. I am yet to understand the difference between rugby and Am-football. And also, I am yet to decide which more babaric.

Basketball is MUCH more interesting. Man, these guys are athletes!! And you need lots of talent here.

somehow I think all those people who think Basketball sucks are white and are just being jealous.

Flame away!!

Are you fucking high? Baseball sucks to play much less to watch it. Take a stopwatch to a baseball game and time the actual time the ball is moving, maybe 5-10 minutes. The other three hours are dick around time.

Basketball is non-stop action. Ten guys moving all the time. Now I will admit that the NBA after twenty or so games into the season gets overwhelming until the playoff run, but how about baseball. 162 games? Are you kidding me? 162? That’s torture.

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who don’t have it.
George Bernard Shaw

Are you fucking high? Baseball sucks to play much less to watch it. Take a stopwatch to a baseball game and time the actual time the ball is moving, maybe 5-10 minutes. The other three hours are dick around time.

Basketball is non-stop action. Ten guys moving all the time. Now I will admit that the NBA after twenty or so games into the season gets overwhelming until the playoff run, but how about baseball. 162 games? Are you kidding me? 162? That’s torture.

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who don’t have it.
George Bernard Shaw

Now I grew up in a house where sports were on alot. Get this, my MOM loves baseball and basketball. My DAD, on the other hand, only likes racing but he rarely watches it.

I can handle basketball. I can even get excited about it, especially during the NCAA. Baseball, however, bores me to tears. Overall, I’m really getting to appreciate soccer. It LOOKS harder than basketball, baseball, or football, but I could certainly be wrong about this. The only one I ever played, on a team, was basketball.

Veera13-

baseball is slow, yes. but, if one understands all the nuances of the game (which i don’t pretend to), it is incredibly interesting to watch. it’s also the experience of the game - try going to fenway or wrigley or another old park. you’ll see what i mean.

as for am. football vs. rugby… am. football is an obvious rip-off. and the fucking pansies shouldn’t need helmets. it’s not hockey or lax, they’re not in danger of getting decapitated with a stick. they should suck it up and go back to rugby, which is infinitely better, and more fun to play and watch.

ellis

Basketball is hopelessly pointless. My evidence is the absurdly high scores in the game. It is quite simply far to easy to score. Most fans will even admit that a game is usually not seperated by more than 10 points in the last 10 minutes of play. More often the difference is 6 or less. Why not just play the last 10 minutes?

Baseball is slow, but is “fun” to watch while reading a good book on the weekend.

Football is a good sport that combines strategy (yes, it really does) with athletic skill.

Hockey is a good sport as well if they get the atheletes to stop acting like children on the ice (I am talking about all the silly fighting). Again combines an excellent use of tactics/strategy with player skill.

Golf is silly. Tennis is just too darn long, but lots of fun to play (go figure).

The best sport would be full-contact to-the-death karate, but there are those mamsy-pamsy legal types who claim it is illegal.

Basketball is a plot by the alien invaders to keep the American public busy on an increasing number of evenings… so that they can have their way with things, doing their evil work while everyone is staring at a screen… even though they all know that only the last 2 minutes mean anything.

OR… baseball is a plot by Canadians, who admittedly invented it and are using it to soften us up for the invasion, which will no doubt happen during one of the many pre-post-semi-not-quite-the-last-but-almost-we-really-mean-it-this-time-games.

The reason gentlemen prefer blondes is that there are not enough redheads to go around.

What you got here is your basic conflict between ‘finesse’ and sheer bulling your way through the problem.(“action” with the sub class ‘violent action’) Base ball is ALL finesse,that’s what makes it seem slow,but there is always something going on no matter how subtle (" This is a tense moment, folks,there’s a piece of paper on the field. Will the right or center fielder pick it up?" Nah, I love baseball.)Soccer is finesse with less time to think,and no Wham bang action,hockey is finesse with less time and more action, Bball is finesse with even less time(smaller court) and too much wham bang, (‘why back in my day’ if you so much as TOUCHED an opponent…) it is just too damn fast for me Foot ball is Wham bang with tactics but little finesse, give it to the full back and bust the way thru. ( aside from the technical rules,who can do what and when and where,the main diff. between US football and rugby is you get to wear armor and you get to take time to figuer out what your going to next,oh and if somebody gets a hang nail they stop the game long enough to carry him off the field. as for equestrian I ike Horseys, but I classify it with gymnastics, and synchronised swimming it’s pretty and you gotta be athletic to do it.But so competitive ballroom dancing ( I only watch that acause of the little dresses the ladies hardly wear WHOOBOY!) For boring it’s got to be Indy or nascar racing,worse yet PICKUP racing! They got timeouts in that. Round and round round and round petal to the metal. Makes me dizzy (dizzier) the expert has spoken ,close the thread.

Signitorily yours, Mr John
" Pardon me while I have a strange interlude."-Marx
“…”-Marx

oh cricket . that maks no sense at all. Look at the 'Bat" a mutant canoe paddle the wussy way they throw the ball, if they CALL it a ball. A game for panntywaists and degenerate,interbred,middle sons of titled families (I forgot I was in the pit for a sec.)
Lacrosse now there’s a game! But play it by the original rules. Leave that little net at home and tie a bag on your war club. it’s the opponents who take a guy out a that game not the coach. now you can close the thread

Baseball: four minutes of action stretched out over three hours.

Gimme Dodge Ball any day.

I hit the send button to soon.

I’ve come up with brilliant ideas to liven up sporting events.

Baseball: Every player on the feild is assigned one golden retriever. If the dog gets the ball before the player, the batter/runner can keep circling the bases and scoring until they catch the dog and get the ball back in play. Land mines in the outfield would be particularly interesting too.
Basketball: Two balls in play, both of them must be greased. Have teams like “Aryan’s” versus the " Jews" to liven things up.

Football: Greasing the ball and the linemen would be rather hysterical.

Hockey: ( I like hockey,but I’m from Detroit, so when they start to suck again, I’m sure I’ll be off the wagon) No protective glass around the arena and give the fans helmuts to wear.

NASCAR: let one NASCAR-wanna be and one grandma get their own car to screw up the pace and rhthym of the track.

Horse racing: Splat ball competition between the jockeys (who are not human anyways)during the race.

Where do I get tickets,shirley?
Can i play too?
Base ball,defending team may replace one fielder with skeet shooter,blasted ball is an out. 3 shells per inning.Injured team mate can not be replaced.
soccer,time bomb in ball
hockey, helmets?,zamboni comes out 2 minutes before period ends. I like hockey all ways have, I live in dallas, EVERYbody likes hockey now.who woulda thunk it?
football,trmpoline like ball return between goalpost,after fielgoal or extra point, ball is immediatly in play.
basket ball,hurdles on court
swimming and diving,parranahs
cricket,replace bat with awkward flat…wait.
do not allow elbow to …mmm,treatch game out through several ho… can’t be fixed they screwed it up already.

Just because this is the Pit:

So Mr. John: explain why the screwed up already sport is the 2nd most popular sport in the world. What I’d really like to know, although I do like soccer, is why the heck that’s the 1st most popular sport!

Sounds like I may be the only one who knows all the nuances of all the major US sports, has played all of them competitively, and still watch them. Heres my take.

Football is the king of all games, comparing it to rugby is so foolish I can’t explain, and having played both I feel safe saying so. Football combines organization, strategy, off the field preperation, durability and athletisism more so than any other sport.

Baseball is great, but it is not for the easily distracted. The people who don’t like it are those who want to be spoon fed everything and aren’t willing to put in some efort and time to enjoy it. Also, Wrigley Field: the worlds largest beer garden. Baseball becuase it is methodical gives the uninitiated the impression of slow and simplistic, it is not.

Soccer has its place, but a great sport it is not. It is the most popular sport in the world because it is the lowest common denomonator. Anyone can play from 2 year olds to 60, any language, and the rules are so brutally simple that the dumbest and illiterate can play. This is why it is popular, most of the world is poor and uneducated. It is without a doubt great for kids and for exercise, but made for TV it is not.

Basketball is so-so. It, like soccer, is very simple and translates well for the poor and uneducated and crosses the language barrier. The athletisism it takes may be the highest in general. Every player on the average is a well rounded athlete. Other sports the players get specialized for their position and are great at a few things, basketball they need to be able to do it all averagely

Hockey is a simple game as well that is universal and like basketball has a bunch of unspecialized players. Hockey is fast enough to be great to watch, but it really is a war of atrition. The volume of strategy and thinking is low compared to baseball and football. It really is frozen basketball.

Lacrosse is a great game to play, lots of fun and exercise. Good amount of physical contact, but it doesn’t require a huge amount of athletisism to excel (similar to hockey). This is hockey on turf. Since its not on ice it is a bit slow to watch. The strategy is low, another war of atrition.

When spectating i like to participate, i want to guess what the teams will do and critique their decisions. Games like soccer, hockey, basketball, and lacrosse are all…lets see if they score this time…fingers crossed. To much luck involved to be any fun watching, playing is a different story.

Shirley I think you just have a thing about watching greased up men in uniform.

Oh, I forgot about NASCAR. Talk about lowest common denomonator. I think I read that that (auto racing) is now the world most popular sport.