Looking for a recipe

I’ve seen this gene at work before, quite often really, but I often forget my brother got it from my dad. Yesterday I asked him in an email to layout the recipe and steps for a dish he made for Easter a few years back that involved sweet potatoes. He shot a response back and said he’d show me how to make it when he comes down to visit later this month. I told him I already bought the food and wanted to cook them while they were still fresh; we can BBQ when he comes down. Well I haven’t heard from him a few days now and I don’t think he’s going to get back to me with an answer. Stubborn as mules my dad and brother can be when it comes to questions they’ve decided they will not answer.

So, after trying to find the dish on google, I turn to the dope for help.

The sweet potatoe recipe in question involved butter, marshmallows, cinnamon, sweet potatoes, a questionable amount of a questionable kind (powdered?) of sugar, and was baked in the oven. The potatoes were not mashed, just peeled, and tasted so sweet I almost could have sworn they were made entirely out of the marshmallows they were topped with. There may have been walnuts as well. I’m really not sure if this was a concoction my dad made on the fly, or an established well known dish, but if anyone can tell me how to recreate what I’m describing, it would really make dinner for me and my roomies tomorrow night.

Ah, it sounds like you want to make candied yams. Easy, pretty, and ohhhh so good.

There are a million-and-one recipes, but the ones I linked to above are pretty standard. Some people use brown sugar instead of white, some use maple syrup or corn syrup, some put in pineapple bits or ginger root. You can mash them or slice them or stuff them into orange halves. There’s a million variations on the dish – google “candied yams” and see what you get!

Thanks, chatelaine.

Mission accomplished. I made the yams with some corn bread and french fried sweet potatoes. I went ahead and used this recipe with a few addtions; namely pineapple slices, marshmallows, walnuts, and coconut flakes. It wasn’t as good as the one my dad made, but it was still very tasty. I’ll have to go back to the drawing board next time I make it and tweak my own variation of it into perfection.

Ya know, adding a can of creamed corn to corn bread mix makes a really kickass loaf.