Old 09-11-2005, 08:15 PM

Etiquette of Black Armband?

As I write this my father is lying in a hospital bed dying from complications of his 9th heart attack. He's not expected to last until midnight. He's had a long, full life and I want to honor his passing.

How long do I wear the band? On which arm do I wear it? Is there anyplace that would be inappropriate to do wear the band? Can it be decorated or should I leave it plain?

He was a Ranger in the 82nd Airborne. He wore the patch of the Big Red One. He was an air traffic controller and worked with Military Intelligence. He helped develop the Hawk Missile and many other projects which have yet to be declassified.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm all the family he has and I want to do him proud.
Old 09-11-2005, 08:27 PM

I'm sorry to hear about your father's condition. According to this site, the "traditional" mourning period for a man to wear a black armband is one year. However, that tradition has long since passed.

I'd say wear it for however long you feel you should. Here's another page I found that might interest you.
http://www.phoenix5.org/advanced/MollyWidowWeeds.html
Old 09-12-2005, 01:06 AM

Thanks, neuroman, that article and the links are what I needed right now. My father passed away at 9:32 tonight, peacefully. His heart stopped but he continued breathing until the respirator was turned off.

I'm going to make and wear my armband until I feel like I'm back in the world. Now I'm off to plan a good old-fashioned wake. Slainte!
Old 09-12-2005, 01:30 AM

I'm very sorry for your loss, davmilasav.