Songs by one artist that are always played together, rock and otherwise

I’m curious about pairs of rock songs by one group that sound different, but are always played together on the radio, and always paired together on “best of” compilations. For instance:

Journey: Feeling That Way and Anytime
The Cars: Bye Bye Love and Moving in Stereo

I swear there was a thread on this subject, but I can’t find it despite plenty of searching. If you can find the thread, please post the URL! If not, can soneone explain the paired song phenomenon?

Another would be Queen’s “We Will Rock You” and “We are the Champions”.

Pink Floyd’s The Wall is essentially a single composition without breaks between songs – though the individual songs (movements?) are named on the album cover. Sometimes a radio station will play two or more of these songs consecutively. I heard “Best Years of Their Lives” (title?) and “Another Brick in the Wall” played consecutively just the other day.

“Heartbreaker”/“Living Loving Maid” by Led Zeppelin.

All I can really say about Feeling That Way and Anytime is that they are played back-to-back with no pause on Journey’s album Infinity. The Queen examples I gave above play the same way on News of the World.

I presume the same is true of Bye Bye Love and Moving in Stereo on the Cars’ debut album.

You mean segues?

Others would include:
Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band and With a Little Help from my Friends – the Beatles

Funeral for a Friend and Love Lies Bleeding – Elton John

*The Fish Cheer * and *I Feel Like I’m Fixin’ to Die Rag * – Country Joe and the Fish

Black Mountain Side and Communications Breakdown – Led Zeppelin

Heartbreaker and Living Loving Maid (She’s Just a Woman) – Led Zeppelin

INXS’s “Need You Tonight” and “Mediate” from Kick – one song, or a segue?

The Grateful Dead had many songs that led from one to the other…most of which are played together in the rare event they get radio play. To name three of the obvious ones:

China Cat Sunflower > Know You Rider

Bertha > Good Lovin’

Scarlet Begonias > Fire on the Mountain

I was talking about this song with the Shibblets yesterday. They like to listen to Radio Disney, and Radio Disney likes to play “We Will Rock You”*, but they never play “We Are the Champions” right afterwards. So I asked and they’d never even heard of the second song. It’s kind of like knowing what peanut butter is but never having heard of jelly.
*They also asked, “Daddy, what’s this song about?” If anyone has a good idea, please let me know.

Oh, also most people think that songs “Load Out” and “Stay” by Jackson Browne are one song. I’ve never heard them played separately.

Is that what they’re called? Googling the term and the names of some of the songs in this thread, I only saw the term used as a verb, not a noun.

Seems like the phemonemon was popular with 1970s and 1980s rock, but I haven’t heard such pairings of more recent songs.

I participated on another thread on this topic quite a while ago. I remember it well. I tried searching for it myself using words I know I typed. Probably a casualty of the Winter of Our Missed Content.

This doesn’t really fit the category, but it certainly should.

Few things tick me off more than when I hear the Live at Budokan version of Cheap Trick’s I Want You To Want Me, and they don’t leave the disc going. Damnit, if you’re gonna play I Want You To Want Me, then you must play Surrender! :mad:

Yes: “Your Move” followed by “All Good People” (another segue)

This one’s a little more obscure, and I haven’t heard it played like this for a very long time, but AOR stations used to play Wooden Ships by the Jefferson Airplanr into **Farewell to Tarawathee ** by Judy Collins. Wooden ships ends with whale songs and the Collins song begins with them. A very effective segue, especially when listened to with the right chemical stimulants, very chill inducing.

“Eruption” by Van Halen is technically a seperate song (guitar solo) but is usually played right before “You Really Got Me” and sounds more like an introduction than a seperate piece.

I think.

Playin’ in the Band>Uncle John’s Band was a pretty common one, too. Same with Estimated Prophet>Eyes of the World.

Part of the thrill was always hoping that you might get to hear an unusual pairing or something standing on its own, or something turning up in an unusual place in the set. I recall reading several interviews with Garcia where he bemoaned the lack of originality in their own sets after awhile. He also liked to bust Weir’s chops because Weir would speed through the segues, like he was in a hurry to get to the next number. Garcia, on the other hand, liked the segues most because that was where he could paint himself into a corner and then have to get back out of it.

One of my most fond memories was seeing Formerly The Warlocks play the Hampton Coliseum and having them start the second set of the second night with “Playin in the Band.” Hmmm…that’s not something you hear every night. Wonder where they’ll go from here.

Playin’>UJB>Playin’ full stop.

Dark Star.

communal freak out ensues

Sorry to hijack the thread for a moment but did Jefferson Airplane also do “Wooden Ships”? The only version I know about is the one by Crosby, Stills, and Nash.

As for songs that blend into one another, pretty much most of the tracks on The Who’s “Quadrophenia” album do this.

Yes, on the Volunteers album. I heard that version first (Paul Kantner of JA is credited as co-songwriter), and think it’s superior to CSNY – much angrier.

More:

*Glad * and *Freedom Rider * – Traffic

The entire first side of the Moody Blues’s On the Threshold of a Dream segues together.

Brain Damage and Eclipse – Pink Floyd

ZZ Top - Waitin’ For The Bus / Jesus Just Left Chicago

The Alan Parsons Project - A Dream Within A Dream / The Raven

Incidentally, there was a single issued of the live version of Stay by Jackson Browne.

I’ve heard a live version of “Stay” played by itself.