Executions and bowels

I apologise for asking this question on such a dark day as this, but I’m curious.

I’ve heard that prisoners executed in the U.S. are plugged with cotton to keep their bowels from making a mess. I think I heard they have a diaper as well. I assume that the Chinese and North Koreans, who shoot their offenders, don’t bother. I’m guessing that the Middle Eastern countries who execute people don’t either. This is a baseless assumption, of course. But Singapore has a reputation for cleanliness. Do they do anything to prevent a mess when they kill their victims?

I’ve a passing interest in penalogly having several friends as corrections officers I’ve read a fair bit about it and never heard of anything other than a diaper being used.

I recently read a book called The last face you’ll ever see It talked about resumed executions after the 1977 SCOTUS ruling.

In one case a diaper was mentioned under the clothes. In another a prisioner asked the Warden to be allowed to were his normal prision clothes for the execution. They were white pants and he wet himself when the gas started having its effect.

And I thought they fasted 24 hours before…

Nitpick. The US executes their prisoners but Singapore kills their victims? Aside from the bias, victim implies innocence, a bigger baseless assumption, IMHO.

Poor phrasing on my part, perhaps. But Singapore’s application of CP is often, as has been seen, disproportionate to the crime. But there’s already a Pit thread about that. I’m asking about a certain detail of execution.

Passing interest’? :stuck_out_tongue:

I heard the cotton thing in a documentary. I don’t remember the name or the channel, so I don’t have a site. Couldn’ve been a Death Row prisoner who said it.

Why disproportionate?

It is their country, and they make the laws. I will not argue that the drug trade is good or bad, moral or immoral. Personally, I don’t really care as I don’t do nonprescription or OTC drugs not purchased from a store so it really doesn’t infringe on me personally.

I just happen to know if I don’t want to get canned, I don’t hrock one on the sidewalk or spray paint graffiti on cars in Singapore. If I don’t want to be dead, I don’t traffic in controlled substances in Singapore. Simple. Seems that they are up with not having to warehouse certain types of criminals at whatever the cost per annum happens to be for them, and I am not going to be too upset about it.

Now, death for hrocking a juicy one on the sidewalk, I might actually agree with being a bit over the top. But then again, YMMV. If you can present me with a reasonable arguement why not to hrock one on the sidewalk that would seem to validate a death sentance, I might agree.

My personal take is if the sentance for a crime is fast and equally applied [like caneing for vandalism] it beats the hell out of little poofy wrist slapping penalties that soak up so much of our resources here in the US. I bet there are a fair number of gang bangers that discovered that they could be publically caned for something relatively minor like tagging, and killed more or less immediately for drug dealing would definitely stop and think before doing something. What is not to like about a typical sentance? 3 meals a day, a bed, more gang to hang with, and a buildup of street rep. As has been pointed out on this list before, the incedences of movie like prison shower rapes is nowhere near as common as they would have you think, especially if you are hooked into the gang network. Thanks to efforts of prison reform, and quality employees like certain board readers has gone a long way to making prisons relatively safe for people.

I’ve talked to hundreds of folks who had to do light jail time, and never met a one who liked it. Usually, quite the opposite. They generally had plans for the next couple of weeks that didn’t involve jail.

Perhaps?
Johnny, I honestly am not trying to hijack this thread, but this is GQ. I have read the other thread. You see what you want in it, it doesn’t show or prove anything.

Having been involved in that ‘lively’ discussion yourself seems to have clouded your objectivity in fighting ignorance here.

Now back to your regularly scheduled thread.

Debate over this case should be conducted in the Pit thread.

I have asked a factual question, and I would like a factual answer to it. This is not the place for debate.

I spoke with the warden at the Walls Unit all about the process of exection while viewing the death chamber, and the subject of bowels never came up. He was very specific about the whole thing and never mentioned plugging the anus with cotton. As best as I can remember, when someone asked if the inmates void themselves during execution, he said that the condemned generally make sure their bowels and bladders were empty so that that doesn’t happen, although it was a long conversation and my memory could be hazy on that point.

Sister Helen Prejean had this to say:

An FBI Agent who spoke at one of my classes in college, and said that there’s a certain culture on death row about what’s expected of you. You walk out of your last cell on your own power, say your piece, and sit or lay down. Nobody wants to go out as the guy who pissed and shit themselves, so I believe that they try their best to make sure they don’t.

Whoops. What I mean to say is, of all the preperatory steps taken by that State that he outlined, I don’t remember any of them involving excretion.

[Mod hat on]

Can we cut out all the fucking hijacks in General Questions? This is getting to be tiresome.

I may have to borrow a cattle prod from Manny if this crap continues. And I don’t just mean people in this thread.

[Mod hat OFF]

samclem GQ moderator

Just spitting might pass muster. Usually it is a gob of virulent looking pussy yellow phlegm that disgusts me and convinces me that Singapore is on the right track.

“I recently read a book called The last face you’ll ever see It talked about resumed executions after the 1977 SCOTUS ruling.”

Forgive the nitpick but, Gregg v. Georgia (428 US 153) was decided in 1976.

Hawk

I would think that in the case of hanging that inertia alone would empty the bowels. And last meals generally seem to be the greasy type of food.

Hmm, I thought they get a lst meal or last request…or, is that just Hollywood?

• Jinx

Speaking of Hollywood, there was a scene in Rob Roy where a cattle theif is offered the choice of fighting or hanging. There was some mention of losing control of his bowels.

Is that what happened to Prince Albert? I’d always wondered.

They still get a last meal. Texas used to have a website listing their prisoners’ requests but they’ve taken it down. There is at least one other site which compiles them if you’re curious.

And then there seems to be a serious number of people who seem to look at the prison system as a sort of networking opportunity…

Though the inconvenience of slammer time didnt seem to stop their criminal activity … judging by the number of people who are repeat offenders.

I asked
"Originally Posted by aruvqan
Why disproportionate?

It *is* their country, and *they* make the laws..."

Why should it be continued in the pit thread. Hombre made a comment and I was asking for clarification. Other people hold question and answer ‘conversations’ in threads all the time, both in threads they are not the OP, and ones that tey are the OP.