Your help needed to identify a K-Tel album

Long ago, I had a K-Tel compilation album of novelty songs. This would have been circa 1977. I have looked at ebay and ktel.com, but do not see this same album. Tracks included “Hello Muddah, Hello Faddah,” “Ahab the Arab,” “Mr. Custer,” “Purple People Eater,” “Tie Me Kangaroo Down,” a song I think was called “Beep Beep,” and several other I can’t remember, but am sure I will recognize on sight.

Can anybody help me identify this album? I would like to put a “Wanted” ad for it on ebay, or at least be able to search for it by title from time to time without having to search for “custer ahab” which is what I wind up doing.

TIA

I had alot of these songs on a compilation album entitled
“Beach Blanket Biggies”

but I casn’t remember if it was K-tel or not.

don’t ask…

“Funky Favorites” comes to mind. I think that was a K-tel album.

Go to http://www.ktel.com/ They have a browse-o-matic. Check for wacky songs. Click on Wacky Wierdos. You can also create your own CD or contact KTEL.

Dylan: Thanks, but that’s not it.

Dragwyr: Thanks and you’re close, but that’s not it either (I found that one on ebay once, and the song list isn’t right).

Sn-man: Thanks, but as I said in the OP, I’ve checked ktel.com already. If I can obtain a complete list of the songs on the album, I may take advantage of the custom CD option, but (again, from the OP) I don’t have a complete list.

I don’t want to sound like I’m running a trivia contest. I’m providing feedback just so other posters won’t read the thread and say, “Oh, I’m sure one of those is it.”
Again, I’m 99% sure I’ll recognize the album title if I see it. I 95% sure I’ll be able to tell if a given song was on it or not.

The album you are looking for is Goofy Greats!!! my sister and i had all the lyrics memorized!!

I hope he has found the answer in the last 11 years

And here I thought it was a record by The Zombies.

make your own album? SQUEEE \o/

Oh, I know that one! That’s “K-Tel’s Songs To Make Anamorphic Stab Himself In The Eye With An Icepick!”. Volume 2, I believe.

Seeing how this thread is over ten years old, I’m going to put it out of its misery.

On second thought, since it’s garnering more replies and interest now, I’ve decided to reopen it and move it to the correct forum.

The very first recorded music that I bought with my own money: K-Tel’s Wings Of Sound.

Abba…Rupert Holmes…Little River Band…RAWK!

Goofy Greats doesn’t list the songs in the OP.

Wacky Weirdos does have Ahab The A-Rab, Mr. Custer, and The Purple People Eater.

Silly Songs has Beep, Beep.

There’s something called 100 Novelty 45’s if you can find it.

We had one called 40 Funky Hits that had most of those. No “Hello Muddah, Hello Faddah” though.

It’s from 1974.

In case anyone REALLY wants to know, the album was Goofy Gold.

I had that one! As soon as I read the name Wings Of Sound, I could picture the album cover, the outline of the bird in rainbow colors.

Thanks for the flashback to 9th grade!

Tracks included “Hello Muddah, Hello Faddah,” here I am at Camp Grenada… Please, “Mr. Custer,” I don’t wanna go… It was a one-eyed, one-horned, flyin’ “Purple People Eater,” “Tie Me Kangaroo Down,” sport, tie me kangaroo down… “Beep Beep;” beep, beep, her car went beep, beep, beep.

I am so ashamed of myself.

Wow. I got back to this thread I started through Google, because I was starting to research it again. Never saw it zombified last year. But based on this track listing, I believe we have a winner!

Goofy Gold both sounds right and appears to have the right track listing. Excellent! Thanks, The Surb!

And, just to make sure I can find it again, the track listing is:

Side A
Monster Mash - Bobby Pickett
Purple People Eater - Sheb Wooley
Wooly Bully - Sam the Sham & The Pharaohs
Running Bear - Johnny Preston
Beep Beep - The Playmates

Side B
Battle of New Orleans - Johnny Horton
Charlie Brown - The Coasters
Pepino the Italian Mouse - Lou Monte
Big Bad John - Jimmy Dean
Yakety Yak - The Coasters

Side C
Alley Oop - Hollywood Argyles
Does Your Chewing Gum Lose Its Flavor - Lonnie Donegan
Transfusion - Nrevous Norvus
Mr. Custer - Larry Verne
Western Movies - The Olympics

Side D
Chantilly Lace - The Big Bopper
King Kong (Your Song) - Pickett and Ferrara
Hello Muddah! Hello Fadduh! - Allan Sherman
Ahab, the Arab - Ray Stevens
Tie Me Kangaroo Down, Sport - Rolf Harris

::hangs head in shame, too::

I had the album. I think it cost about $5, circa 1975?

Still it’s not as bad as my friend’s ABBA collection. Rock Me.