In praise of linguica

Have we, by chance, any linguica fans here?

For the unitiated, linguica is a Portuguese pork sausage. There’s a spicier version called chourico, and it, too, is heavenly, but linguica is sausage perfection. It’s tough to find in this area, but very prevalent in California and New England. There was a sandwich place in Newburyport, Mass., that had a great view of the water and served a linguica sandwich a jus - it’s been fifteen years since I had it and my mouth still waters at the memory.

I’ve actually gone so far as to order linguica on-line, because I haven’t found a good local source here in the DC area.

And for some reason, this morning the thought of linguica flashed through my mind, and I thought I’d see if I was alone in this particular fetish.

I’ve never heard of linguica, but chourico…mmmm. I may have to try the linguica just because.

Easy to get in New England, you say? Well, it just so happens Vermont is only 30 miles eastwards, can you get it there? If not I have easy access to MA, CT, and NH and RI.

I don’t know. My experience has been with the coastal areas in Massachusetts and Connecticut. I could tell you salivating stories of linguica served up in Groton, New London, and Mystic, but I’m not so sure about Vermont or New Hampshire.

But – I’ll have a chance to find out. I’m going to spend a week in Lebanon, NH this month. So I’ll report on the linguica situation. :slight_smile:

Well, NH’s a bit far away, or I would offer to buy you a cup of joe. Hope you have fun, though.

And hey, others can answer, too! Yoohoo! This isn’t a private thread!

Both linguica and chourico are available in the supermarkets of southern New Hampshire. Mrs. Fear is a big fan, and introduced me to linguica several years ago.

I received the meat grinder/sausage stuffing attachments for our Kitchen Aid mixer for Christmas, and look forward to making home-made linguica soon.

Just popping in to say I lurvve both linguica and chourico (i always thought it was courizo)!
Plus I got a good giggle out of the Google ad for “Suasage stuffers”…

Linguica–a certified form of ambrosia. Many of the pizza restaurants here in the Bay Area include linguica among their toppings, and I always get some on my pizza when I can. I like it in omelets, too. All hail linguica!

Huge Portuguese population here in Southeastern Massachusetts. I’m within 15 minutes of several linguica manufacturers. The biggies are Gaspar’s, Amaral’s, and Furtado’s.

You can order online from Gaspar’s Linguica Co.

I was in the New London area for two years and missed it. I don’t miss food very often, and damn, that stuff sounds yummy.

Next time I am passing through those linguicas better look out.

Is it any different from Spanish/Cuban chorizo?

And why is it called linguica? (The name seems to suggest it’s made from tongue.)

Any Shaws should have it. I’ve seen it in many IGA markets. Demoulas/Market Basket should also carry it if there are any in your area. It’s usually in with the kielbasa, and the hotdogs. It’s red.

There’s a certain similarity to chorizo, but it’s not identical by any means. I’m not sure what spices go into linguica, but it’s not the same mix as chorizo.

And I truthfully have no clue what the origins of the word are.

Oh, I had forgotten about linguica pizza. There was a place in Groton that did a linguica white pizza that the gods themselves did tremble over.

There is a Portuguese Market in Arlington on the corner of Washington Blvd and North Pershing, have you checked there.

Here is a Washington Post article about the place. They do have a nice butcher section and I have had some of their sausage which is pretty good.

BrainGlutton wrote:

The recipe cited uses ground pork, but the name is suspiciously indicative. I mean, hell, I’m a big fan of liver sausage, so who am I to complain. But tongue sausage?

I’ll have to confirm with my old man the next time I talk to him, but I think that linguica is jst portuguese for sausage. I’ve had it before and I’m pretty sure it isn’t tongue.

The Gaspar’s website says lean pork, vinegar, garlic and paprika. I know there’s non-fat dry milk in it, too, though they don’t mention it. With that homemade recipe, you won’t get a strong enough flavor without the garlic. The authentic stuff around here is made from chunks of meat, not ground.

I seriously think there’s aren’t enough tongues to produce the amounts of linguica and chourico that are found around here.

True story: About 20 years ago I lived in an apartment in a farmhouse owned by an older Portuguese woman who had a huge hog out back. One morning I was awakened by screams from hell, only to discover the whole family had come over and slaughtered the porker in the yard. A week or so later I went downstairs to pay my rent. There were yards of sausage hanging up in the kitchen. . .

The American Heritage® Dictionary says the etymology is not from any tongue ingredients, it is from a Latin root:

A locally owned pizza shop here in town offers it as one of their toppings and I had it last year and was unimpressed. It tasted pretty much just like the little balls of sausage you get from any other chain pizzeria.

To save some potential embarassment if you stroll into the grocery store to find it:

lin-GWE-sah

NOT lin-GUI-ka

Should I assume that it’s actually spelled “linguiça”, then, with a cedilla?